Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi everyone! A howling 49.7% better MPG!
retmil46 Offline

RE: Hi everyone! A howling 49.7% better MPG!
Best not get me started on Junior and the Dark Lord. I'm retired Navy enlisted, and every time I think of all the BS those two draft dodgers have pulled, especially in regards to the military, my blood pressure goes thru the roof.

Congrats on the great improvement. What did it come out to in MPG?

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
05-13-2008 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S10 Hybrid Offline

retmil46 Wrote:Best not get me started on Junior and the Dark Lord. I'm retired Navy enlisted, and every time I think of all the BS those two draft dodgers have pulled, especially in regards to the military, my blood pressure goes thru the roof.

Congrats on the great improvement. What did it come out to in MPG?

Hi retmil46, I need to do more and longer trips but so far I went from a consistent 14.5 city & 18 highway to 27+ MPG highway.

22 city and 28 highway is what the 5 speed manual tranny specs on the manufacturer estimated MPG window sticker. Thats about what I get now.

The automatic I have, had 19+ city and 24+ highway manufacturer estimated MPG window sticker. I never saw those numbers on either of S10 I have owned over the past 11 years. They are identical in every aspect except for the few mods mentioned on the e-book.

I have yet to see anyone get the manufacturer estimated MPG window sticker result!

Maybe this better MPG will keep me out of the dog house for a while but I doubt it..

eddie b.
05-13-2008 09:36 AM
jksav7 Offline

Yes, it is a caustic, but it's what works the best, according to the people that have way more experience in this than all of us combined. And, once again, baking soda become sodium hydroxide when used in electrolysis.

Also, you're right that the very small amounts (KOH, NaOH) that we typically use in our very inefficient boosters won't be enough to really harm anything.

S10 Hybrid Wrote:Drain cleaner is so toxic for the environment (tree hugger) and good drain cleaner pure, will eat the best pipes like they where not even there. I know, I know, what a wuz...

I am positive that diluted as an electrolyte would be just fine, specially if disposed of properly, but it is hard not to love the Earth I am about to leave soon, so much...

eddie b.
05-13-2008 09:38 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

jksav7 Wrote:Yes, it is a caustic, but it's what works the best, according to the people that have way more experience in this than all of us combined. And, once again, baking soda become sodium hydroxide when used in electrolysis.

Also, you're right that the very small amounts (KOH, NaOH) that we typically use in our very inefficient boosters won't be enough to really harm anything.

S10 Hybrid Wrote:Drain cleaner is so toxic for the environment (tree hugger) and good drain cleaner pure, will eat the best pipes like they where not even there. I know, I know, what a wuz...

I am positive that diluted as an electrolyte would be just fine, specially if disposed of properly, but it is hard not to love the Earth I am about to leave soon, so much...

eddie b.

Every thing I have come across tells me the same thing. It is without doubt, the best electrolyte.

I have been experimenting with HHO only for a month.

But I did clean many coins with electrolysis as a child. I still go out with the metal detector and come home and clean coins, Many years have passed, few changes. Same old fart machine as my wife so kindly calls me...

She was very curious when she saw me tinkering with canisters and stainless and I told her I was making an automatic fart machine... Honey, I am old and tired and need to automate this now..

I need to be a good to the chipmunks in my garage...

Hard to find a spine-ectomy at my age... jejejeje

eddie b.
05-13-2008 09:54 AM
retmil46 Offline

S10 Hybrid Wrote:I have yet to see anyone get the manufacturer estimated MPG window sticker result!

For a gasser, yep it's usually way under. OTOH, the EPA has consistently underestimated (at least for pre-07 models) diesels in their MPG ratings.

For instance -

'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel sedan - Old EPA rating 25/30 - I'm consistently getting 35 mpg commuting to work.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - Old EPA rating 21/26 - I'm getting 25/32 after a few simple and completely legal mods (ie, lift pump, muffler, air intake, etc).

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
05-13-2008 10:34 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

That's outstanding retmil46!

I think I can get much more from this garage made cell and old truck. First I need to stop peeing in my pants to get further. I am so happy with the gains this makeshift HHO system is delivering!

I am still shell shocked!

You guys that have been fooling with this are an asset to the HHO and green energy community!

I am happy I found you guys. I have learned a little and I am shocked. With the little I now know, what a difference it has made in my MPG.

So looking for nuggets on the internet pays off some times... When it does it is sheer heaven!

eddie b.
05-13-2008 11:04 AM
jksav7 Offline

It's people like yourself with your success stories that keep me motivated to keep trying to get some type of gain in fuel economy. it seems like some people just hook up a reallly simple booster and they get great gains. I have seen no benefit yet from my efforts, and I've put forth quite a bit up to this point.

S10 Hybrid Wrote:That's outstanding retmil46!

I think I can get much more from this garage made cell and old truck. First I need to stop peeing in my pants to get further. I am so happy with the gains this makeshift HHO system is delivering!

I am still shell shocked!

You guys that have been fooling with this are an asset to the HHO and green energy community!

I am happy I found you guys. I have learned a little and I am shocked. With the little I now know, what a difference it has made in my MPG.

So looking for nuggets on the internet pays off some times... When it does it is sheer heaven!

eddie b.
05-13-2008 12:40 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Junior and Dark Lord. Laugh
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2008 04:27 PM by wulfram.)
05-13-2008 04:26 PM
S10 Hybrid Offline

wulfram Wrote:Junior and Dark Lord. Laugh

I know, the Navy tells it how it is. If it was not all so tragic it would be a hoot!The endless stream of comic material coming from the white house is just not what we all need.

eddie b.
05-13-2008 08:44 PM
retmil46 Offline

S10 Hybrid Wrote:
wulfram Wrote:Junior and Dark Lord. Laugh

I know, the Navy tells it how it is. If it was not all so tragic it would be a hoot!The endless stream of comic material coming from the white house is just not what we all need.

eddie b.

Sorta strange, in a way we're dealing with the ghost of old Tricky Dick Nixon - Cheney, Rumsfeld, and others in that crew got their start in government under King Richard, and apparently took his views on the imperial presidency to heart. Nixon and Cheney - just goes to show you, this isn't the first time we've had a Dick in the White House.Wink

Up until recently, the '87 MB had only been averaging 30 mpg at best. When I bought it 2 years ago, it was obvious that the last/original owner had been somewhat lacking in maintenance for some time. Tranny was leaking a quart of fluid every month when I first got it, vacuum and pressure adjustments were all out of whack so that when it shifted at low speed it felt like a mule kicking the rear bumper, etc.

Two months ago it got to where it was leaking over a quart every 2 weeks, and decided it was time to have it pulled and all the seals replaced. Along with that, I readjusted all the throttle and control linkages and set the idle speed back to where it was supposed to be.

End result, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd gained 5 mpg, up to 35 mpg on my normal commute. And I still haven't touched those 20 year old poppet injectors yet for new nozzles and balancing their pop pressures. Even with diesel at it's current price, I'm back under $25/week for fuel.

Right now I'm experimenting with water/methanol vapor injection on it, and in the process of rigging up coolant heat to try and make it more effective. Once I'm done with that, I'm looking forward to giving HHO a try - a 20% improvement on this old girl would kick it up to 42 mpg!

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
05-13-2008 11:07 PM