Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home electric bill Power saver
ahsem1972 Offline

Home electric bill Power saver
Anyone used one of these I found a supplier on a well built one I don't have results yet you can see the picture of it at http://www.mpgimprovements.com I hope to have results soon.
12-10-2009 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: Home electric bill Power saver
(12-10-2009 10:32 AM)ahsem1972 Wrote:  Anyone used one of these I found a supplier on a well built one I don't have results yet you can see the picture of it at http://www.mpgimprovements.com I hope to have results soon.
I looked into similar devices about 2 or 3 years ago. They revolve around a principle that stores a charge in a series of capacitors that discharge when an electrical device turns on lowering the initial current to get the electrical device going. I haven't seen them at Home Depot or Lowe's so I can only assume they're akin to the 400 mpg carburetor.
12-10-2009 04:15 PM
Gary Offline

I have to agree. Were they viable, not only would they be put out on the market, Fleabay scammers would be selling garage units right and left.
...waitaminnit...they would anyway....!
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2009 02:17 PM by Gary.)
12-12-2009 02:16 PM
thomasbala Offline

(12-12-2009 02:16 PM)Gary Wrote:  I have to agree. Were they viable, not only would they be put out on the market, Fleabay scammers would be selling garage units right and left.
...waitaminnit...they would anyway....!
Gary:
Guess what? I got on e-bay, typed in the search terms: "save electricity" and a bunch of these devices came up: 120v, 220v, single unit for one outlet, etc. Highest price - $99.00.
12-12-2009 02:57 PM
ahsem1972 Offline

Got it in it was easy to install now will it save me money installed it 12/14/09
From what i've read there is a lot of difference between whats on the market like hho cells the ones that plug into a outlet is nothing but crap
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2009 07:11 AM by ahsem1972.)
12-18-2009 06:59 AM
Mika Offline

Let us know, no matter what the results were.
12-22-2009 01:13 AM
Gary Offline

(12-18-2009 06:59 AM)ahsem1972 Wrote:  Got it in it was easy to install now will it save me money installed it 12/14/09
From what i've read there is a lot of difference between whats on the market like hho cells the ones that plug into a outlet is nothing but crap

What???
12-22-2009 02:33 AM
ahsem1972 Offline

http://www.usenergysolutions.net/powerfac.htm here was an article written on what Im trying to do I thought it was worth reading.
12-22-2009 05:20 AM
thomasbala Offline

(12-22-2009 05:20 AM)ahsem1972 Wrote:  http://www.usenergysolutions.net/powerfac.htm here was an article written on what Im trying to do I thought it was worth reading.
That site may be a little misleading. It says in essence that the windings in the armature and stator are charged when the electric motor is off. If that's what they're saying they're incorrect. Take your refrigerator, for example, when the temp reaches a certain preset level a thermistor triggers a relay which then and only then powers up the electric motor to turn the compressor. Capacitors have been used for a long time to keep an electric load constant, to eliminate static (remember the old car radios) and also to power assist a motor on start up. The site also fails to mention that you pay for the electricity stored in the capacitors. So, whether you pay for the current to store it or pay for the current on start up you still pay the same. Now if you live in an area where the electric company charges more for use at "peak hours" than non-peak I can see a difference as long as you're charging those capacitors at non-peak times.
12-22-2009 02:31 PM
benny Offline

(12-22-2009 02:31 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(12-22-2009 05:20 AM)ahsem1972 Wrote:  http://www.usenergysolutions.net/powerfac.htm here was an article written on what Im trying to do I thought it was worth reading.
That site may be a little misleading. It says in essence that the windings in the armature and stator are charged when the electric motor is off. If that's what they're saying they're incorrect. Take your refrigerator, for example, when the temp reaches a certain preset level a thermistor triggers a relay which then and only then powers up the electric motor to turn the compressor. Capacitors have been used for a long time to keep an electric load constant, to eliminate static (remember the old car radios) and also to power assist a motor on start up. The site also fails to mention that you pay for the electricity stored in the capacitors. So, whether you pay for the current to store it or pay for the current on start up you still pay the same. Now if you live in an area where the electric company charges more for use at "peak hours" than non-peak I can see a difference as long as you're charging those capacitors at non-peak times.

The site mentioned above uses capacitors for power factor correction.

electricity 101

ac motors fitted with a capacitor across the mains use this for the same purpose. i.e. Compensating for an inductive load. i.e. power factor correction. Drawing voltage and current back into phase.

Split phase ac motors, on the other hand, use a capacitor in series with one of two or more field coil windings to produce a phase shift in one coil, to produce a similar effect to a multiphase motor. Used for motor starting, but may or may not be taken out of circuit when the motor is running. Nothing whatsoever to do with power factor correction.

I have never in my lifetime seen a capacitor which can store ac energy.
12-23-2009 01:00 PM