Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many amps are people with small motors pulling?
sax88player Offline

How many amps are people with small motors pulling?
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how many amps would be the best to aim for with my generator. I am trying to find out how many amps people who've seen good results are pulling with small motors (like a 1.5 or 1.6 liter).

thanks!
11-22-2008 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benny Offline

RE: How many amps are people with small motors pulling?
sax88player Wrote:Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how many amps would be the best to aim for with my generator. I am trying to find out how many amps people who've seen good results are pulling with small motors (like a 1.5 or 1.6 liter).

thanks!
Current draw required will very much depend on the type and efficiency of your HHO generator, as well as the volume of HHO you want to produce.
Don't think there is, as yet, any hard and fast rule as to HHO volume to engine capacity ratio. Just too many variables, and differences in vehicle performance, even for supposedly identical car/vehicle models.

Maximum current draw is dictated by your alternator capacity. Bear in mind that the alternator also has to power all vehicle electrical apparatus as well as your generator. Draw too much current and your battery will eventually die.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2008 01:38 AM by benny.)
11-23-2008 01:35 AM
john m Offline

Another thing to consider is that when you put a load on the alternator you also add more load to the engine. As amps go up, just like turning on the A/C, the mileage will go down. At some point the alternator drag will overcome the gains from the hho not to mention running the alt at full load can shorten its life. Those of us with small engines probably have it tougher than the big boys because we don't have as much extra hp to play with. You will probably need to play with your electolyte mix to get the most benefit without over taxing the charging system and in turn losing mpg. There are plenty of folks here that have been there and will probably give you a good starting point. I'll be watching too because gas won't be $2.00 for long! john.
11-23-2008 04:52 PM
realtyroy Offline

sax88player Wrote:Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how many amps would be the best to aim for with my generator. I am trying to find out how many amps people who've seen good results are pulling with small motors (like a 1.5 or 1.6 liter).

thanks!

Here is something to try although it is in no way scientific. If you have your cell hot and producing at what it normally does you can shut off your generator and turn it back on while the car is idling and see if there is a change in the idle speed.

One would think if there is a change in the idle speed even slight you are probably working the alternator harder than you should. You might want to try this with the lights and heater going to really get a realistic idea of normal circumstances.

Good Luck!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2008 05:43 PM by realtyroy.)
11-23-2008 05:40 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Howdy! Well I have a 2.4L engine, so I might be able to help with my input (or not?). I'm pulling about 14 amps hot, 6 amps cold. Make sure that you always check your amperage with the engine RUNNING, because it will always be different than with the engine off. For example, I'm pulling about 4 amps cold engine off, 6 amps cold engine on. It's because it runs a 14V circuit instead of a 12V one if I remember right. Hope I helped! Big Grin

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
11-23-2008 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghahai ghato Offline

Renault Clio 1.2L Manual - Alternator output 12V 90A
Standard electrical system - stereo CD & air-con.

Previously I had my gen pulling about 9 - 11amps (700 - 900ml/min) but recently had the gen removed for servicing...
So, i had the car running without HHO for a shortwhile and guess what; the car seems to run lighter & my wife says the same thing too....hughhh?!
Now, I've reduced the amps down to 4 - 6amps and turn off the gen during short trips and noticed smoother driving and slight economy... I'll most probably reduce it further to 3 - 5amps soon and hoping for improvement and consistency.
There is a 'magical' number and the variables can be overwhelming.... good luck to us all!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2008 06:56 PM by ghahai ghato.)
11-23-2008 06:50 PM
sax88player Offline

Smile RE: How many amps are people with small motors pulling?
I guess when I get my Scanguage 2, I can try different mixes going at a consistent freeway speed and see where the best MPG numbers lie. If I figure anything substantial, I will let everybody know of my findings. I can feel the power increase more and more as I add more electrolyte though. I wonder with the added power to the motor if the motor can handle more drag from the alternator..?? But I guess if you are using your new found power to offset the alternator drag you arn't gaining anything Tongue
11-24-2008 12:17 PM