Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many neutral cells?
stevekos7 Offline

How many neutral cells?
Ok, I know lots of you will answer this by saying that this topic is covered elsewhere in the forum, but with so many different opinions it is hard to get clear on this issue:

In a series +-+-+- etc. cell it is clear that each +- represents one cell. So if we want 7 cells @ 2 volts per cell the ideal number of plates should be 14 right?

But, what I am unclear on is what constitues a 'cell' when you introduce neutral cells. My current understanding is that there should be no difference. So a +nn-nn+ or -nn+nn- 7 plate design should be 6 cells. Is this right or am I missing something? How would you design a 7 cell system with neutrals? I want to design a cell that optimally uses the 14v but I get all sorts of ideas what is needed. Please help.

By the way someone suggested a FAQ for newbies thread. Excellent idea moderators! Maybe it's too difficult with so many answers to each question possible?

Cheers. Steve.
06-30-2008 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nick_Greyden Offline

RE: How many neutral cells?
**votes for the FAQ newbie thread
06-30-2008 11:10 PM
stevekos7 Offline

RE: How many neutral cells?
Ok, I trialed the 7 plate cell tonight. Got my production up to 1/2 litre in 50 seconds at 18 amps. This is a great improvement on the first two units. I think the neutral plates are adding to the production with little extra current draw. How many extra neutral plates would you recommend I add to maximise production? This is a -nn+nn- cell at present. Would a -nnn+nnn- configuration improve things?

Cheers.
07-01-2008 05:28 AM