Poll: MPG gains and HHO systems
This poll is closed.
Changed habits and got a gain og MPG 66.67% 2 66.67%
Did not change habits and no gains. 33.33% 1 33.33%
Total 3 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many people who got MPG gains also changed their driving habits?
Warren928 Offline

How many people who got MPG gains also changed their driving habits?
I want to do a poll.

Q1. How many people who got MPG gains also changed their driving habits?

Q2. How many people who did not get any gains, also did not change their driving habits?

IE: Driving habits such as no rabbit take-offs, slower top speed, no idling time, etc...

-------------------------------
I reduced my top speed by 5-7 mph, but I gained 50% mpg after the hho generator.
11-30-2008 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom1803 Offline

RE: How many people who got MPG gains also changed their driving habits?
Before I put on my HHO system and while I was studying MPG reduction I redused my speed. Never over 65mph and usually 10 under all posted speeds, easy take offs. I picked up about 3mpg. The HHO system I am puting on a peice at a time I have picked up 1 to 2 mpg. whit each inprovement. I started at about 25mpg and I have gone as high as 33mpg, with more work to do.

2002 PT Cruser 2.4
Phoenix, Arizona
11-30-2008 03:31 PM
Warren928 Offline

Ironically, some of the things I used to think were helping mpg, as far as driving habits, weren't at all. Once I had a trip computer in the vehicle with immediate stats on mpg, it became obvious then when to accelerate, and how hard.

I noticed that very slow starts were worse on mpg than medium throttle from a stop and wasted less gas. And of course, full throttle was a pig on the mpg.

Resting my foot on the gas pedal wasn't as good as I thought either, better to coast alittle with my foot completely off the gas pedal, once reaching the next down hill, and then gas it as the next hill started upwards again.

Speed traps were perfect opportunities to increase mpg, let off and practice at not using the brakes at all during a speed reduction.
11-30-2008 03:54 PM
howiemandel Offline

no change in habbits, recieved gains. Didnt see that on the poll, but chimed in anyways.
thanks,
Howie.
11-30-2008 04:23 PM
Gary Offline

I'd written an article I called "subconscious hypermiling" that went something like this:
When we weren't worried about gas so much, we drove to suit our needs. Later, prices go up and we back off a bit, but aren't hypermiling yet. We get some sort of FE unit and install it. Automatically, we want to see it work, and MOST of us will drive for FE with it in...more than likely drive better than we were, so some gains (false) will be seen, if the unit is bogus.
If we BUILD something, we definitely want to see it work, and the effect is more pronounced. Regardless of our self-convincing as to our honest test results, it's just human nature.
The best method is to learn hypermiling, get a base mileage intentionally hypermiling the vehicle and THEN do any mileage tests with modifications.
Far too many people have posted their awesome results under this unconscious improvement in their driving styles. One other caveat is for those of us who always have checked our mileage when we fill up. We allready know what the vehicle does, and if we're very careful to be a bit careless in our driving habits, we can extrapolate a fairly accurate result to compare with. But the temptation to coast where we drove before, to park on hills, to draft trucks (dangerous at best) and the like is always there.
11-30-2008 04:46 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Hey, you don't have an option for "did not change driving habits and noticed an increase in MPG!!!" No fair, so now I can't submit my answer for the poll Tongue.

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
12-01-2008 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Warren928 Offline

Sorry about that Kamikaze, my first time doing a poll, and once their in, they cannot be edited. Good to hear that the mpg was without a change of driving habits. I would say that 10% of my mpg gain may be attributed to driving style.
12-01-2008 12:57 PM