Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many plates and how big!
lynn Offline

How many plates and how big!
I Am using 2.5x 8 inch stainless plates spaced 1/8 apart and runring in a +n-n+n- pattern, the plates are 3/32 thick . What temp. is acceptableand what output is good? I think that it runs pretty hot at 15 amps. I am putting out about 1 litre per minute. Any comments would help! I am using the reciepe that read about earlier but it does the same with baking soda. Thanks
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2008 08:56 PM by lynn.)
05-31-2008 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: How many plates and how big!
It should run a lot cooler if you modified it to be:
+ n n n n n -

If you don't get enough gas, make your electrolyte a bit stronger.

1 LPM is considered good.

IMO if you can't hold onto it with bare hands, it's too hot.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-03-2008 03:09 PM
birchmark Offline

colchiro Wrote:It should run a lot cooler if you modified it to be:
+ n n n n n -

If you don't get enough gas, make your electrolyte a bit stronger.

1 LPM is considered good.

IMO if you can't hold onto it with bare hands, it's too hot.

Could someone explain what the "n" refers to in this series. I am using four plates on my configuration two positive and two negative. I would write
it as : + - + - . Maybe I just don't understand this jargon?
07-10-2008 04:24 AM
azavalanche Offline

- = hooked up to the negative side of your battery or Power source, and + = hooked up to the positive side of your battery or power source. The n is for neutral not hoked up to either source floating so it accepts the charge from the closest applied field is what I understand.

Good luck.
07-10-2008 06:07 AM
Gary Offline

Correct. And there is some new thought as to plate size having a limit - and it's not very big. Everything seems to change though, when talking about series vs. parallell units. The series wired in a common bath I've not had luck with, but you get more output than me with nearly the same size plates. I used 2x8" with seven cells, seeking 2v/cell. Heat in common baths is the limitation, so sealed series will be all I'm interested in from here on out. They are in another league away from any bricks in a tube.
07-11-2008 05:15 AM
colchiro Offline

Gary Wrote:Heat in common baths is the limitation, so sealed series will be all I'm interested in from here on out. They are in another league away from any bricks in a tube.

Me too. I wish everyone would go that route. Even using two series cells would be twice as efficient. What about 2 mini Hyzors or 2 mini Smacks (or roll your own)Blush? You just have to cut down on any neutrals so it's good for 6 volts (or 4 volts if you have room for 3 cells).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-11-2008 08:49 AM
Gary Offline

I'm beginning to believe that over 2v per cell goes to heat. That HAS to be why the sealed series stay so cool. The bricks have the current going all over the place. That could be combining voltages IN the electrolyte and creating heat IMO.
07-11-2008 09:25 AM
Fatman1 Offline

Ok, I just put togather 5 cells in thier own can. The plates are 2x8 and set up 3 plates in a +n- in a 2" pvc pipe.As my muitmeter took a craps i can't get a good reading on voltage drop. But it makes alot better gas hooking up 4 cells in series and not all five. I have them conected into themself and running 1 line into the bubbler. What should the voltage drop be, will it get a drop aross the n plate. I running 14.5 volts in to them.
07-20-2008 10:05 AM
Gary Offline

Neutrals act just like any other plate; the electrolyte is their connection. The Grail is 1.6 to 2v max.
07-20-2008 12:12 PM
PanamaRik Offline

Running 4 cells will almost double the amperage draw compared to 5 cells which is why you get the better gas production. However it will also heat up faster and eventually you will get thermal runaway.

My own cell design uses 6 cells, but 1 cell is bypassed through a relay at startup to increase amp draw, when the system warms up that cell is then put into use, dropping the amperage but giving me a total gas output close to the 5 cool cells.

At startup the amperage draw from the 5 cells is about 12 amps, as it heats up the draw rises to 16 amps, adding in the extra cell reduces the draw to between 8 and 9 amps with no extra heat being created. Output from 5 cold cells or 6 hot cells is approx 1.4 litres/minute compared to the 1.6l/min the 5 hot cells produce, but with half the amps.

PanamaRik

Fatman1 Wrote:Ok, I just put togather 5 cells in thier own can. The plates are 2x8 and set up 3 plates in a +n- in a 2" pvc pipe.As my muitmeter took a craps i can't get a good reading on voltage drop. But it makes alot better gas hooking up 4 cells in series and not all five. I have them conected into themself and running 1 line into the bubbler. What should the voltage drop be, will it get a drop aross the n plate. I running 14.5 volts in to them.

Drop by my site at http://gassaver.panamacentric.com and say 'Hi' Rik
07-20-2008 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply