Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How / where do you mount your generator?
steelerfan89 Offline

How / where do you mount your generator?
In the 07 optima there is virtually no room under the hood. The largest space is between the engine and the fire wall..... right over the top of the exhaust manifold. From what Im reading this is not the ideal spot.

Help!
06-22-2008 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
steelerfan89 Offline

RE: How / where do you mount your generator?
steelerfan89 Wrote:In the 07 optima there is virtually no room under the hood. The largest space is between the engine and the fire wall..... right over the top of the exhaust manifold. From what Im reading this is not the ideal spot.

Help!

Ive got it down to either the front passenger floor or the trunk.
The floor has the benefit of me being able to easily monitor the system
Of course, if there is a leak in my system then I get a little gas in the cab with me whereas in the trunk it would take longer for the gas to get up to the engine and if there is a leak there the worst that happens is i buy a new trunk hatch

whataya think?
06-23-2008 07:01 PM
jksav7 Offline

You'll definitely not want to put it anywhere in the cab for safety reasons. If it were to blow your ear drums would be toast. Sometimes there are things under the hood that can be rearranged without too much hassle. Perhaps that would make room for the generator. If not, then the trunk is the only other solution, as far as I know.
06-24-2008 03:45 AM
tweeter Offline

Has anyone here done a trunk mount for the generator? If so, is there an appreciable delay in generating enough gas to fill the line from the trunk to the engine compartment? It would seem that the generator would run cooler being out of the engine compartment and the amp draw and heat generated would be easier to control as well.

I was thinking of doing a trunk mount in my 89 Camry. I would mount the unit inside a small plastic garbage bin to catch any leaks. Even if the bin had to be trimmed down a little for easier access and fit, I think it makes sense to have some kind of catch basin to protect the trunk flooring. It would be very easy to drill through the sides of the bin to attach the entire assembly to the wall of the trunk.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do a trunk mount?

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
1989 Toyota Camry, 4-cyl, (3S-FE)
MagDrive 11a with Single EFIE Deluxe
Largo, Florida
06-24-2008 02:04 PM