Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
Hydrocarbon cracking System
tlk70 Offline

RE: Hydrocarbon cracking System
Hello Amigos,

Four years ago, I inquired about implementing HCS on my '74 (page 144) VW Super Beetle. I was not able to work on it with HCS, since I had not repaired the engine. A few months ago I was finally able to get it fixed and now I'm driving it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've attached an image of my engine. I don't think I have a PCV Valve. I have a breather pipe, so should I hook up to that pipe going up to the air intake?

Thanks for your help

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 02:28 PM by tlk70.)
05-08-2017 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
think411 Offline

I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable to reply to your post but since this thread has been quiet lately, the usual people dont check in as much. So I will attempt help here.
My guess would be that you should find somewhere where the exhaust can be channeled to use to pump pressure to your HCS system that coincides with your engines revs. For many this is the PVC but some may not have that luxury so you will have to find where another channel of air flow can be used to push exhaust thru the HCS unit.
Since yours is pre OBD computer, you dont have an EGR to tap in to either.
Not knowing the workings of a carbureted vehicle, I cant really give you any more help.
Is there any other device connected to your exhaust manifold or way to tap into your exhaust gasses?
05-11-2017 09:32 PM
hhofox Offline

Hello tlk70!
Simply use the vacuum tube on the carb to get HCS vapors into your engine along with the revs! It should be un the neck of the carb, below where the pan and filter sits.
You should have great results if you do it right. I did when I had a computer free vehicle. I even ran on the vapor suppliment for a few miles before it ran out.
What I did was to change the air to fuel ratio with the adjusting knob, AFTER attaching HCS. It started rich (lots of gas), but I simply adjusted it, aiming for a smooth idle, with the gas bubbling. After that, I just kept gas in the bubbler. When the gas ran out, the car could not keep up without my stepping on the gas.
Man! Those were the days. Too bad I could not keep that car, since it needed engine work done.
Let us know how it turns out, okay? Also, start out simple, and keep detailed logs of what you do.
05-16-2017 06:49 PM
dingo Offline

In my experience with the air cooled Bug engine, i could not get sufficient pressure out of the breather pipe. I used vacuum from the one of the carb orifices..but i found that the small engine lagged, especially under load i.e. when you need it most, you dont get it....like going up hill, or accelerating. If you can find a way to make it work, id be glad to hear about it..it iS worth experimenting with.
Recently i found a cheap electric air pump with the idea of using that instead...however this one was not built to run for more than 20 minutes..gets too hot. It does produce way more pressure than you need for the bubbler, despite only rated at 1.25Amps. So maybe a smaller, and higher quality variation would work. Anyways thats where i am at right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 12:24 PM by dingo.)
05-29-2017 12:23 PM
fueller Offline

(05-29-2017 12:23 PM)dingo Wrote:  Recently i found a cheap electric air pump with the idea of using that instead...however this one was not built to run for more than 20 minutes..gets too hot. It does produce way more pressure than you need for the bubbler, despite only rated at 1.25Amps. So maybe a smaller, and higher quality variation would work. Anyways thats where i am at right now.
And tell me how do you intend to regulate the amount of air needed? When you push the gas : amount of air pumped by the airpump would be definitely not sufficient. When you iddle or just gently push gas pedal, the air amount (HCS aerosol) would be definitely too much.....
07-21-2017 12:35 PM
dingo Offline

And tell me how do you intend to regulate the amount of air needed? When you push the gas : amount of air pumped by the airpump would be definitely not sufficient. When you iddle or just gently push gas pedal, the air amount (HCS aerosol) would be definitely too much.....

[/quote]

I dont know !..trying to keep things as simple and uncluttered as possible.
Have not solved this issue...yet !
07-22-2017 09:34 AM