What will happen if you put a generator on an old engine with a carb
and no polution control other that a pcv valve
Would I have to rejet carb
Bob
10-10-2008 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pimpa Offline

RE: Hydrogen generator on old engine
sickleave Wrote:What will happen if you put a generator on an old engine with a carb
and no polution control other that a pcv valve
Would I have to rejet carb
Bob

hi!
I don't really like the rejetting idea. I am thinking about a temporary testing method. using a USB vacuum cleaner it is possible to put the fuel bowl under slight vacuum.
there is a fuel bowl went valve on my carburettor, so that is where I plan to connect it. the effect is the same as lowering the fuel level.
The big question is how effectively it can lean the carb. my 3$ USB vacuum cleaner capable of increasing the water level in a drinking straw by more than 0.5 inch . this means we can set the "fuel level" (of course the level remains the same, the pressure above it is smaller, thus retarding the fuel flow) in the carb to almost zero!
another advantages:
the leaning can be set any time( by controlling the vac speed) or be switched off durung idle etc.
if it works then we can invest in a more robust vac device or finding another method, like engine vacuum, which has to be regulated somehow and lowered big time.
10-10-2008 08:22 PM
howiemandel Offline

Go to searcypress.com he has a carbed truck and has been using hho for about 100K.
10-11-2008 02:20 AM
Gary Offline

Haha! I watched the $10 generator video and had a ball. This guy is the ultimate shadetree redneck! He makes a lot of warnings while doing the opposite (oh, just for "demonstration") purposes...like no one else will do it this way...and recommends stuff like not even gluing the connection to the lid. He's obviously not had a pop yet and I can't believe he hasn't had leaks.
All in all, there may be something to the production under full vacuum thing compared to atmospheric. I notice he didn't say just exactly how he determined that it was 'better' or how he measured the output. One would need a bench test with a vacuum pump and collector jar to make comparisons, and I doubt he knows that. His results he didnt' say much about either, but I'd suspect that half of that would be from the water injection.
I did like all the gobblydygook tech doubletalk he came up with though. "Superheat" and other assorted hightech terms of driveway technician dialect.
10-11-2008 05:07 AM
AlexR Offline

pimpa Wrote:hi!
I don't really like the rejetting idea. I am thinking about a temporary testing method. using a USB vacuum cleaner it is possible to put the fuel bowl under slight vacuum.
there is a fuel bowl went valve on my carburettor, so that is where I plan to connect it. the effect is the same as lowering the fuel level.
The big question is how effectively it can lean the carb. my 3$ USB vacuum cleaner capable of increasing the water level in a drinking straw by more than 0.5 inch . this means we can set the "fuel level" (of course the level remains the same, the pressure above it is smaller, thus retarding the fuel flow) in the carb to almost zero!
another advantages:
the leaning can be set any time( by controlling the vac speed) or be switched off durung idle etc.
if it works then we can invest in a more robust vac device or finding another method, like engine vacuum, which has to be regulated somehow and lowered big time.

Eagle Research has a device called the carburetor enhancer, sold as a kit and a manual if you want to do it yourself. Uses the engine vaccuum you describe.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
10-11-2008 05:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
howiemandel Offline

gary, watch some other stuff, he is up on this vacuum stuff now. The 10 dollar generator, which is what i've been using by the way for 3K miles, works very, veeeeeeery well. Its all i use, to be honest.
At any rate i believe that video is pretty old.
Watch some more videos, he is actually on to something big. The cool thing is this guy always shares information. No hold backs.
10-11-2008 10:59 AM
Gary Offline

I'll chek it out later. Always ready to learn more, even if I'm on another track. How about PM me your stats? Curious.
10-11-2008 02:16 PM
hho_chevelle Offline

I have a 71 Chevelle that I put a twin generator on. Pics are here http://www.ChevelleSS.com/hho

I got decent results. About a 25% increase. Went from 18 to 22/23.

I just bought a dry cell which I'm hoping will be more efficient, as the twin cells are drawing about 30 amps and only putting out 1/2 lpm.

But yes it can be done on the old cars with carburetors and is much easier than dealing with the ECM on the modern cars.

Corey
10-14-2008 08:42 AM
pimpa Offline

[quote=hho_chevelle]
I have a 71 Chevelle that I put a twin generator on. Pics are here http://www.ChevelleSS.com/hho

I got decent results. About a 25% increase. Went from 18 to 22/23.

I just bought a dry cell which I'm hoping will be more efficient, as the twin cells are drawing about 30 amps and only putting out 1/2 lpm.

But yes it can be done on the old cars with carburetors and is much easier than dealing with the ECM on the modern cars.

Corey

hi corey!
wow that is not bad 25% at only 0.5LPM!
why don't u connect them series, that woud cut the amps to 15A and leave the production the same. I am sure there is enough surface area in the generators.it would be twice as efficient and still not good enough.
I guess u have the worst gen ever and still very good mpg gain.
any mods to the carb? I mean leaning in any way?
thanks
10-14-2008 04:29 PM
hho_chevelle Offline

Yes, I leaned it a little at idle and mid range. I have a air/fuel gauge hooked up and have done it slowly as not to overheat the pistons. I could hook them up in series, I've kind of given up on the production of these things, I'm hooking up my dry cell tomorrow. Looking to get some real production on this thing and see what it can do.

I'm really amazed at what HHo has done with this car. I know that theres a dropoff somewhere where the cost of amps and the production meet but I guess I'll find out.

I'll post the results when I get it done.

Thanks

Corey
10-14-2008 05:45 PM