Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hydrogen peroxide = more gas production?
sax88player Offline

Hydrogen peroxide = more gas production?
Hey all. My room mate and I both have wet cells, and we have tried adding hydrogen peroxide (like a half a cup) to our distilled water/sodium hydroxide mix and the hydrogen peroxide visually seems create more gas production with out effecting the amps too much. When we first add it in it bubbles a little bit with out any electricity being added, but after it is dissolved into the solution, it seems to run like normal.

Does anyone here know much about hydrogen peroxide and or what happens when you mix it with sodium hydroxide? It is just water with 3% actual hydrogen peroxide (what the bottle says).

Also, is it an electrolyte at all? if so, that could be why it creates more gas...
03-16-2009 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: Hydrogen peroxide = more gas production?
(03-16-2009 06:12 PM)sax88player Wrote:  Hey all. My room mate and I both have wet cells, and we have tried adding hydrogen peroxide (like a half a cup) to our distilled water/sodium hydroxide mix and the hydrogen peroxide visually seems create more gas production with out effecting the amps too much. When we first add it in it bubbles a little bit with out any electricity being added, but after it is dissolved into the solution, it seems to run like normal.

Does anyone here know much about hydrogen peroxide and or what happens when you mix it with sodium hydroxide? It is just water with 3% actual hydrogen peroxide (what the bottle says).

Also, is it an electrolyte at all? if so, that could be why it creates more gas...
Sax:
3% isn't going to get you anywhere; 3% H2O2 + 97% H2O = 100% H2O @ 100 degrees Fahrenheit in about 10 minutes. Now, if you really want to play, get some 30% H2O2; sometimes called food grade. Sometimes you can find it in a health foods store. If not, you can get it on the net. the chemical reaction between NaOH and H2O2 is to dilute the concentration of NaOH in solution.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2009 08:00 PM by thomasbala.)
03-16-2009 07:59 PM
sax88player Offline

So what your saying, is if it gets up to 100 degrees then it will just burn off... Well, my generator rarely gets warm to the touch, and there is a noticeable increase in production with just the half cup i added earlier tonight.

If I got the higher concentration stuff, would that create any vapors that could hurt my car after the chemical bond of Naoh and H202? I'm still a little lost in the chemistry of this whole thing.
03-16-2009 09:27 PM
thomasbala Offline

(03-16-2009 09:27 PM)sax88player Wrote:  So what your saying, is if it gets up to 100 degrees then it will just burn off... Well, my generator rarely gets warm to the touch, and there is a noticeable increase in production with just the half cup i added earlier tonight.

If I got the higher concentration stuff, would that create any vapors that could hurt my car after the chemical bond of Naoh and H202? I'm still a little lost in the chemistry of this whole thing.
Sax88:
Is your generator any hotter than when you touch your tongue? Bet it is. Normal body temp. is 98.6. When you're adding your 1/2 cup H2O2 all you're seeing is the NaOH releasing the H2 and O2 from the peroxide. Once that 3% is released, which should be quickly, all you have is water, which just dilutes the NaOH concentration in the electrolyte. Increase the concentration to 30% and you'll see a much more vigorous reaction. Hint: bench test it first if you're afraid of "vapors".
03-17-2009 02:04 PM