Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hydroxy boost in Merc 190E (1987) by Kumaran
kumaran Offline

Hydroxy boost in Merc 190E (1987) by Kumaran
Hi guys,

Another thread to keep progress record on Mercedes 190E.

Car specification

Brand : Mercedes Benz 190E
Year : 1987
Engine capacity : 2.0L
Fuel Injection
Car condition : Good

Base mileage : 11.18 per litre (With 2 mothball as fuel additives)

Setup 1 (2008/05/24):
Hydroxy cell draws 6A during cold and 12A after warm up. Long journey (433.6 KM). Car over loaded with passenger (4 adults and three children). Many stops along the way. Car driven by other person.

Mileage record : 11.43 per litre

Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
05-26-2008 03:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Hydroxy boost in Merc 190E (1987) by Kumaran
Kumaran, I assume base is without the extra load so not bad initial results. My concern is the "other driver" and "many stops". Some people have lead feet, especially noticable when the vehicle is overloaded. Was the other driver aware that you were checking your mileage?

Is this your 8 plates semi-series cell?

No sensor mods yet, right?

What was your mileage before moth balls?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 05:55 AM
kumaran Offline

Hi Rick,

colchiro Wrote:Kumaran, I assume base is without the extra load so not bad initial results. My concern is the "other driver" and "many stops". Some people have lead feet, especially noticable when the vehicle is overloaded. Was the other driver aware that you were checking your mileage?

KPL = Kilometer Per Litre
Yes, the latest result 11.43KPL is with other driver and without knowing the car is going through fuel saving test. This result should be genuine but cannot use for fuel consumption comparison. That is why I need to redo the test again. I believe the car should be able to get 12.0KPL to 13.0KPL with current 8 plate semi series cell with 5A during cold operation and 10A during warm electrolyte.

colchiro Wrote:Is this your 8 plates semi-series cell?

Yes. Currently I'm using this cell for testing. I'm happy with the cell performance and easy maintenance.

colchiro Wrote:No sensor mods yet, right?

This car has no O2 sensor to play with. I don't know what sensor it uses to lean and rich the fuel. I appreciate if somebody could guide me through in leaning the fuel for my car.

colchiro Wrote:What was your mileage before moth balls?

The car averages between 8.93KPL to 10.61KPL without fuel additives or alternative fuel saving methods.

Regards,
Kumaran
05-26-2008 07:15 PM
colchiro Offline

Is this throttle-body FI?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 07:32 PM
kumaran Offline

Hi Rick,

colchiro Wrote:Is this throttle-body FI?

I have posted my car picture sometimes ago in oupower.com. Here is the link. See if you could help me out. Do you need more pictures?

Regards,
Kumaran
05-26-2008 08:02 PM
kumaran Offline

Hi Rick,

My car uses Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection. Do you have any reference to lean fuel for this type of fuel transmission system?

Regards,
Kumaran
05-26-2008 10:42 PM
colchiro Offline

Here's some valuable info on your system (first link I checked): http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm

You might want to look that over and see if it seems right. Do you have a mechanic you trust to something like this?

Rick

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2008 05:17 PM by colchiro.)
05-27-2008 05:15 PM
kumaran Offline

Hi Rick,

colchiro Wrote:Here's some valuable info on your system (first link I checked): http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm

You might want to look that over and see if it seems right. Do you have a mechanic you trust to something like this?

Thank you for taking time to search and send me the link.

Quote:The Airflow Sensor
The airflow sensor, in most cases, is located on the air filter housing and is responsible for measuring the amount of air entering the engine. The sensor housing is conical in shape, into which the airflow sensor plate is fitted. The airflow sensor plate lifts as the throttle is opened by the incoming air.
The amount of lift is proportional to the volume of air entering the engine. The shape and angle of the cone will determine this ratio.
A neutral plate position is normally level with the bottom of the cone, this is adjustable by bending a small clip / spring that acts as a stop at the bottom of the unit. The purpose of this spring is to allow the flap to move beyond its neutral position to allow excessive pressure to escape if the engine was to backfire, passing a large volume of air back into the air filter housing.
If the system did not have this facility the pressure could split or blow off the rubber air trunking. Any splits or ill fitting air hoses that allow unmonitored air into the engine require rectification.
As the airflow lifts the sensor plate this subsequencially lifts the control plunger - the higher the lift the greater the amount of fuel delivered to the injectors.

To adjust the fuel mixture a small 3 mm Allen screw is located within the airflow sensor; this alters the relationship between the sensor arm and the control plunger. Turning the screw clockwise enriches the mixture and vice-versa. It should be noted that the screw should be turned in very small increments and the Allen key should be removed before the engine speed is raised.

NOTE :- Failure to remove the Allen key, before starting the engine, can result in damage to the airflow sensing unit.

I tried to adjust the 3mm Allen screw located within the airflow sensor. This adjustment is very sensitive and can cause the engine stop running. I bring the car to local mechanic to do the adjustment. They use device to measure CO at exhaust tail while adjusting the Allen screw. Before adjustment, CO content was 3.5 and after adjustment now the CO content shows 2.0.

After adjustment still the car didn't show fuel savings. The mechanic says it is for idle mixture settings and not really lean out the fuel. Hmmm... confused.

Regards,
Kumaran
05-27-2008 06:07 PM
colchiro Offline

Most of these parts have a corresponding unit listed in Tuning for Mileage.

Your airflow sensor works like a mass air flow sensor. Your fuel distribution unit appears similar to an o2 sensor. I think like in Tuning for Mileage, you need to tweak several of the sensor to lean the mix a little and maybe richen the idle circuit and the cold start stuff, if necessary to make starting easier.

If you're planning to keep this car for awhile, you might want to do what I did. I bought an air fuel meter (measure the a/f ratio) on fleeBay used for about $30 and picked up a bung and had it welded to my exhaust so I could install an o2 sensor just to run the meter. My existing sensor wouldn't work with the meter. Now I have a digital gauge in the vehicle to tell me what the engine is doing. I think the total cost was a little over $100.

Rick

05-27-2008 06:47 PM
kumaran Offline

Hi guys,

I have done mileage re-test again on Mercedes 190E.

(18/03/2007) Base line mileage : 11.18KM per litre
(31/05/2008) Latest mileage reading : 12.75KM per litre (14% extra mileage gain).

My electrolyser started with 5A (cold operation) and at the end of test run draws 9.5A (warm operation). In next test run, I will reduce the amps even more. I hope the max draw to not exceed 7A.

Yesterday, I manage to install water/methanol vapor unit into this car. I should get even better results in next test run.

Rick, I have updated my project pages with new photos.

Section 1
Section 2

See if you could identify any sensors to modify A/F ratio.

Regards,
Kumaran
06-01-2008 09:50 PM