Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I NOW HAVE THE FORMULA!
cheapfuel Offline

I NOW HAVE THE FORMULA!
FINAL. I was about to give up. I could produce HHO gas alright but my apmerage was always too high. Here's what I found out. I use 1/2 teaspoon of NaOH per liter of distilled water. I built 2 generators using 4 inch PVC pipe. In one I had 8 2.5 inch stainless steel plates 1/4 in apart. In the other I had 4 similar plates also 1/4 inch apart. It did not matter whether I had 4 plates or 8 plates each produced 400 ml/min of HHO gas at 35 amps draw on the system. Just for fun I connect them in parallel....oops the amp draw went to 60 amps so I did not wait for production I disconnected IMMEFIATEY! I then connected them in series and the amperage draw dropped to 25 amps but the production remained the same at 400 ml/min. So the formula is to connect each separate and complete unit in series to drop the amerage and keep production the same. To increase production just add more NaOH to each cell electrolyte. What I am going to do know (since I have constructed the cells so they can be taken apart for repair) is to take the 4 plates from the 8 plate system and build a 3rd generator. Then try those 3 in series. I do have most of the parts to build a 4th generator. I will be happy with 15 to 20 amp draw. After that I can adjust the NaOH concentration to draw that current and hopefully get close if not equal to 1000 ml/min.
07-01-2008 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qsiguy Offline

RE: I NOW HAVE THE FORMULA!
Good job finding that out via experimentation. There are many threads describing the advantage of series designs. You should be able to wire up to 5-7 of them in series. You'll just need a little higher concentration of electrolyte as you have already determined.

For comparison, here's one of our series generators, only running 5 cells at 10 amps produced 1.2 liters/min
[Image: IMG_2165.jpg]

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2008 02:25 PM by qsiguy.)
07-01-2008 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cheapfuel Offline

I take it all of those units are an air tight seal. I also notice that there is a space from one unit to next , but the electrolyte is sepatate. So I assume the cover that you have off is an air tight seal or you would lose all your HHO. How would this work in a vehicle that is moving...accelerating, declerating, etc. would the electrolyte not flow out of one compartment into another and so on creating problems? Or do you somehow seal each unit separately? Interesting design. Let me how you plan on mounting this.
07-01-2008 02:14 PM
qsiguy Offline

The top of the generator is open so the gas combines. The small compartments don't "slosh" around much and if they do the water will equalize via small 1/8" holes in the bottom of the dividers. It just needs to be mounted level for normal driving. Yes the top is off in that photo

[Image: IMG_2167.jpg]

07-01-2008 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

qsiguy, the only problem I have with your design it it's HUGE. Won't fit in my little car, but would work nice in the back of a pickup.Blush

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-01-2008 02:41 PM
cheapfuel Offline

I assume you have taken measures in your construction so that you can easily check on your electrolyte levels and add water. In my design I have a filler cap + a guage on the side that indicates to me when I need to add water. The bottom of my unit is threaded and can be easliy removed to drain and clean the unit. Also, through the bottom I can remove the entire interior assembly when repairs or more extensive cleaning is required. Since each unit is from 4 inch PVC pipe I can easily mount them in numerous different configuration and even in separate area. Just have to decide how many I am going to have. Will it be 3, 4, or 5. I am prepare for a maximum of 20 amps and a minimum of 1000 ml/min. Will see how it goes. Will do some mathematics calculation as I now know the results of each unit and results of 2 in series. Some math should allow me to predict 3 in series, 4 in series, 5 in series, etc.
07-01-2008 03:18 PM
qsiguy Offline

I'll can can tell you already that based on what you've told us you should hit your 1000 ml/min mark at 12A or less if you wire up 5 of those cells in series, more if you add a 6th.

I'm using electronic fluid level sensing and have a high level sensor and a low level sensor. Cleaning is simple each cell assembly slides out once you pull the lid.

07-01-2008 03:28 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

can you go into more detail about these sensors I would like to install something like this on mine, like where'd you get the sensors at and what exactly are they.
07-01-2008 03:49 PM
qsiguy Offline

lol, they are highly specialized sensitive devices.. Stainless steel screws that are mounted in the case where I want to know if I have water or not. Since the electrolyte we are using is highly conductive you will have voltage on these screws when the electrolyte is touching them. You can wire them straight to an LED light for indication but if you want to control a circuit with them I suggest using them to trigger a high impedance transistor circuit rather than wiring directly to a relay. The current draw from a relay can produce a small spark inside the unit...which could be a very bad thing. Smile

07-01-2008 03:55 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

hmm, I wanting like a level indicator, im planning on having a reservoir and I wanna know when its low, I know some windshield washer reservoirs have a low fluid indicating light, I wonder where I can get one of those sensors
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2008 04:14 PM by tjh566.)
07-01-2008 04:14 PM