Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IAT MOD.
howiemandel Offline

IAT MOD.
I have no idea what this is, as im mechanically challenged to a point. However, I have a good idea. This advances the timming of the vehical. Some folks here are starting to think this might be necessary. So........ here is a mod I found .

http://www.installuniversity.com/install...er_mod.htm
08-30-2008 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hydrotinkerer Offline

RE: IAT MOD.
Advancing timing with hho could possibly bring on detonation, very bad. Retarding the timing seems to work the best on preventing detonation.
08-30-2008 09:30 AM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

When leaning out your car and running more HHO an advance of timing is needed.

Nasa document to prove: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.n...016170.pdf

But yes you have to be careful of det.

Something if you have A SGII unplug the sensor pop 2 wires in it and run then into your cab and put them on a 100kohm pot, adjust the pot and watch your air temp via the sgII, cold air = more timing.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2008 09:43 AM by tjh566.)
08-30-2008 09:41 AM
colchiro Offline

Replacing a working sensor with a resistor is NOT recommended. Besides, this mod LOWERS the temp of the sensor, making your system richer. This is the same as the "power chip" scam sold on fleeBay.

If you want to tweak your IAT, use a 10k or whatever Tuning for Mileage (link below) recommends for your vehicle and solder it in parallel with your sensor. This raises the temp reported by your sensor by about 10 deg.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-30-2008 02:00 PM
howiemandel Offline

so this mod doesnt make it richer by advancing the timing? Cuz thats what it seems to be doing? Again, im no mechanic, but you say it makes it richer. Which is what you want when your running lean from your hho. artghhh i'll read your link.
08-30-2008 03:46 PM
colchiro Offline

Without going into detail of how it may work on every car, let me say it's the opposite of what's recommended in Tuning for Mileage and it replaces a sensor put on your vehicle for a reason.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-30-2008 04:09 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Here is a video about replacing your IAT sensor. The guy tells how he figured out how to choose the right resistor value:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkV8aMYjmo

colchiro Wrote:Without going into detail of how it may work on every car, let me say it's the opposite of what's recommended in Tuning for Mileage and it replaces a sensor put on your vehicle for a reason.
08-30-2008 04:18 PM
colchiro Offline

Why replace it?

When it's cold out (winter), you want richer. If your car overheats, you want it richer to cool the engine. This is what this sensor does. I see no reason to replace it.

Rick

08-30-2008 04:31 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

Well if not this sensor we need something else to control timing, what do we do, just get a handheld tuner and be done with all sensor mods?
08-30-2008 04:47 PM
colchiro Offline

Go ahead and play all you want. I'm just pointing out what else may be involved.

Rick

08-30-2008 04:56 PM