Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IAT and MAF mod increased fuel consumption
jbalat Offline

IAT and MAF mod increased fuel consumption
Not sure what happened there but after a week my fuel consumption went from 12L/100 to 13L/100.

NJ V6 Pajero 3L '94
My normal around town usage is 12.5L/100 without HHO

I was able to get to 12L/100 with GenII type system and simple battery type effie that offsets the voltage. I used 270mV. Some of the readings were going over 1v so I guess these are being ignored by the ECU

I pulled the resistors off the sensors and I am now working on the D17 efie.

Details.
My MAF is frequency based so I added a 10ohm resistor on the ground
Using the specs for my car I worked out I needed a 10KOhm resistor in parallel with the IAT to give a 10 degree C offset increase in Temperature.

I think because I have an all in one MAF unit it was not working as it should. MAF, IAT and Altitude sensors are all incorporated in the one unit...
I am also looking at purchasing an innovative Motorsports LC-1 kit for around $150 from the US on ebay. This is a recommendation from the D17 document. If anyone has tried this please post !!
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2009 06:37 PM by jbalat.)
06-03-2009 06:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: IAT and MAF mod increased fuel consumption
I think you're spending some time in open loop from something turned up too high.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-03-2009 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

Anyway of know if you are in open loop besides waiting for the fuel bill ?

I bought myself an evoscan cable but unfortunately it would not work with my ecu...
06-03-2009 08:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Lots of code readers can tell you that. I like the ScanGauge or Dash Daq since they give you real-time data, like mpg, while you drive.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-04-2009 03:46 AM
jbalat Offline

That would be great but I think evoscan may be the only hope for my car since Mitsubishi decided to deviate slightly from the obdii standard. Sad
06-07-2009 07:54 PM
colchiro Offline

http://www.scangauge.com/support/Compati...cles.shtml

US or foreign Vehicle?

Rick

06-08-2009 03:54 AM
jbalat Offline

Unfortunately 1994 Australian Vehicle...

Anyway pulled all the resistors off and will try again with the D17 efie I just built and see what happens.
06-16-2009 03:51 PM
TheCell Offline

(06-16-2009 03:51 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Unfortunately 1994 Australian Vehicle...

Anyway pulled all the resistors off and will try again with the D17 efie I just built and see what happens.

ONe more very important item,...your ECU will learn the offsets if you start the vehicle with the mods on (meaning the resistor or circuit on) you must let the ECU stabilize for 2 min before turning on the Mods or circuit.
01-13-2010 08:46 PM
Hydro-Cell UK Offline

(01-13-2010 08:46 PM)TheCell Wrote:  

ONe more very important item,...your ECU will learn the offsets if you start the vehicle with the mods on (meaning the resistor or circuit on) you must let the ECU stabilize for 2 min before turning on the Mods or circuit.

hi Bob

can you please simplyfi are you saying that before lets say a efie install should you reset the ECU start the car run it for 2 mins then turn on the efie? Many thanks!
01-15-2010 01:53 PM
TheCell Offline

(01-15-2010 01:53 PM)Hydro-Cell UK Wrote:  
(01-13-2010 08:46 PM)TheCell Wrote:  

hi Bob

can you please simplyfi are you saying that before lets say a efie install should you reset the ECU start the car run it for 2 mins then turn on the efie? Many thanks!

Hi Hydro,

Yes to letting the car run for 2 min WITHOUT the efie on...

Hope that helps,
01-15-2010 02:06 PM