Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IAT and MAF mod increased fuel consumption
jbalat Offline

RE: IAT and MAF mod increased fuel consumption
Wow,

The D17 and all other efies I tried did not work on my car

Now I have unplugged the O2 and I have made up a frequency modifier board for my MAF (based on the parallax propeller chip). I am lowering the frequency by about 10% before the power really starts dropping off but finding it is not having any affect on economy either.

I can adjust the program so that that it runs at 100% frequency for the first 2 minutes before switching to the pot setting and see what happens

Thanks for the tip !

JB
01-15-2010 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hhoelectronics Offline

(01-15-2010 04:10 PM)jbalat Wrote:  The D17 and all other efies I tried did not work on my car

Now I have unplugged the O2 and I have made up a frequency modifier board for my MAF (based on the parallax propeller chip). I am lowering the frequency by about 10% before the power really starts dropping off but finding it is not having any affect on economy either.

The O2 sensor is the final element which tells the car what the mixture has to be. Only with the MAF modified it is obvious that your gains are zero. The computer will look at the O2 sensor and will start to recalibrate the MAF values, assuming the sensor is old.
01-15-2010 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

Hi HHOE, good to hear from you again.

With the O2 plugged in it will always be wanting to go back to 14.7 or whatever efie setting you can achieve.

With the O2 unplugged I assumed it just does a fixed offset which you then need to overcome with the MAF mod, then add some more for the hho ?

Yes ?
01-16-2010 04:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hhoelectronics Offline

(01-16-2010 04:54 AM)jbalat Wrote:  Hi HHOE, good to hear from you again.

With the O2 plugged in it will always be wanting to go back to 14.7 or whatever efie setting you can achieve.

With the O2 unplugged I assumed it just does a fixed offset which you then need to overcome with the MAF mod, then add some more for the hho ?

Yes ?

Yes and yes.
Now, the question is: in open loop (O2 sensor removed) the fixed offset will use more gasoline. Will the MAF mod compensate for this? Even you you decalibrate the MAF sensor a lot (let's say 50%) the computer will compensate only a bit, based on it's internal maps.

Making the O2 sensor to operate at 16-18 or higher is the right way, but it can be tricky.
01-16-2010 11:14 AM
jbalat Offline

Great... All indications at this stage are, that the MAF mod may not be able to overcome the o2 offset alone. I can try using the efie at its nist effective setting (I think around 260mV) along with the MAF mod as well.

Is this more likely to give a better result ?

Even so I have a funny feeling my main problem is the amount of HHO going in. I have never felt any extra power from the HHO. I only have about 1 Ltr/min for a 3.0Ltr engine ?
01-17-2010 03:26 AM
Gary Offline

Wow, this thread isn't NEAR as entertaining as the Bob Boyce thread that Mike shut down today...
Well, hijacking aside, I'm thinking of having my Chevy v-8 remapped, as a guy on our street has a son who does this. He mentions that his 500hp Firebird gets 28 on the highway, and my truck could do MUCH better than stock, along with some power for pulling too.
I'm wondering if any of you have done this and added HHO, and what were the results? Thus far, without electronics, and just reflashing the ECU, it's gotten "smarter" and eliminated all gains, even using HHO. So, reflashing is not the best method, and I'm not sure I even want to play with HHO anymore if I can get power AND economy by remapping. Unless HHO will even help that.
01-17-2010 05:28 AM
hhoelectronics Offline

(01-17-2010 03:26 AM)jbalat Wrote:  I can try using the efie at its nist effective setting (I think around 260mV) along with the MAF mod as well.

Is this more likely to give a better result ?

The O2 sensor will switch at 14.7:1. If you want, let's say, 20% gains, your EFIE has to change it to 17:1 or more. Adding x amount of mV does not guarantee this. In fact, if the sensor is ideal (perfect switch), adding any amount of mV will do nothing (oh well, it will trip the CEL light...).
01-17-2010 08:36 AM
TheCell Offline

(01-17-2010 05:28 AM)Gary Wrote:  Wow, this thread isn't NEAR as entertaining as the Bob Boyce thread that Mike shut down today...
Well, hijacking aside, I'm thinking of having my Chevy v-8 remapped, as a guy on our street has a son who does this. He mentions that his 500hp Firebird gets 28 on the highway, and my truck could do MUCH better than stock, along with some power for pulling too.
I'm wondering if any of you have done this and added HHO, and what were the results? Thus far, without electronics, and just reflashing the ECU, it's gotten "smarter" and eliminated all gains, even using HHO. So, reflashing is not the best method, and I'm not sure I even want to play with HHO anymore if I can get power AND economy by remapping. Unless HHO will even help that.

Gary,

While I have to agree with you on the "near entertaining..", and I don't agree with Mikes decision to shut down a thread that allowed people to see both sides of an issue, I have to respect what hopefully was "only his" decision.

As far as the ECU re flashing....the gentleman that invented that, is one of our partners at The Cell...and he agrees with you about the reflashing...it will give more milage and hp but in most cases you loose the emissions (or cleanup) and you can do significant damage to the engine if you go over lean without making up the loss of fuel somewhere else, ie HHO.

We have done it,... and the challenge is to balance the AFR to HHO production (GASOLINE ONLY). So be careful please.

As far as the shut down thread, maybe Mike will reconsider if I email Fang and ask her to "easy down 3 to 4 notches"...We are all intelligent enough to discern the pros and cons of a subject or people (myself included), soooo...Thanks for listening.

God Bless,
01-17-2010 09:08 AM
benny Offline

(01-17-2010 09:08 AM)TheCell Wrote:  While I have to agree with you on the "near entertaining..", and I don't agree with Mikes decision to shut down a thread that allowed people to see both sides of an issue, I have to respect what hopefully was "only his" decision.

Mike gets my vote on this one. The forum was never intended to provide a venue for little boys 'pissing contests'.

If testosterone is ever proven to be a sure fire method of increasing mileage/fuel economy then I may just change my point of view and would ask Mike to rethink his decision since yours and others 'slanging match' posts would then be valid content for the forum.
01-17-2010 11:36 AM
TheCell Offline

(01-17-2010 11:36 AM)benny Wrote:  
(01-17-2010 09:08 AM)TheCell Wrote:  While I have to agree with you on the "near entertaining..", and I don't agree with Mikes decision to shut down a thread that allowed people to see both sides of an issue, I have to respect what hopefully was "only his" decision.

Mike gets my vote on this one. The forum was never intended to provide a venue for little boys 'pissing contests'.

If testosterone is ever proven to be a sure fire method of increasing mileage/fuel economy then I may just change my point of view and would ask Mike to rethink his decision since yours and others 'slanging match' posts would then be valid content for the forum.

Benny,

As my wife says the same thing, I will have to agree with you....as for the fuel...the local Pub helps upgrade the "outcome"...

Thanks for reminding me..

God Bless,
01-17-2010 12:24 PM