Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Incorrect EFIE Voltage
bandit354 Offline

Incorrect EFIE Voltage
I have a question, my EFIE when at idle the adjustment voltage is a .1mv-.09mv and at cruising speeds its goes up to .14mv. It seems to fluctuate the faster I go the higher it reads, but I can adjust the peak so it only peaks out at what ever mv I set it at. The EFIE is wired with my hho generator with a 20amp fuse hooked to a 30amp toggle switch wired directly to the battery and a very good ground only 10 inches away from the toggle switch. Is this normal.
04-02-2008 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Results
I'm not understanding something. I assume you mean volts, not millivolts. But yes, that's not right. Do you have a Deluxe unit of one of the circuit board models? I'm assuming you've read "How To Read Your EFIE" and are correctly measuring between the red and black test points (or the white and green wires). Is this correct? If not read the article, so you'll understand where to measure.

If all of the above checks out, then the next thing to do is to check the input voltage to the EFIE. If this is below 11 volts, then you can get variances in the EFIE's output voltage. However, it the input stays above 11 volts, then that's no problem.

Let me know what you find out from the above, and we'll go from there. Something is wrong, though, and we need to get it sorted out.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-02-2008 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bandit354 Offline

I checked the supply volts going to the EFIE and with the truck off the volts to the EFIE are 12.22 volts and with the truck running the supply volts to the EFIE are a constant 13.33 volts going to the EFIE. I have the deluxe model EFIE when I hook up my voltmeter to the red and black test ports on the EFIE the volts range when at idle it will read .1mv when running the truck at cruising speeds the volt meter goes up to .15mv my new setting I set it at for today. There is a notice in gas mileage today as today is the first day I was able to test all day. I drive a 1995 Toyota pickup 3.0L with about 400 pounds of tools and equipment with a 28 foot extension ladder on a ladder rack and a 7 foot ladder on the rack as well. The mileage went up from 15mpg to around 18.5mpg with the EFIE set at .15mv. Just curious why the voltage walks around when the truck is in operation. It is an 02 sensor. EFIE is wired at the ECM made sure it was the right wire using the ohm meter between the 02 sensor plug and the ECM just to make sure I had the right wire.
04-03-2008 02:41 PM
bandit354 Offline

I had another question I was thinking about raising the volts up on the EFIE to around 2mv the output on my hho generator is about .75ltrs per minute cold to a little over a liter per minute when warmed up. I was wondering if you had a place we could post pictures of our hho systems under our hoods and I also built a flash back arrestor and used bronze wool and found out it does not work on its own, I had to mix cotton in with the bronze wool and it now works like a charm.
04-03-2008 03:02 PM
mike Offline

RE: Incorrect EFIE Voltage
Something is not right about your readings. An EFIE won't do that. Have you read "How To Read Your EFIE"? When you measure from the red port to ground or the black port to ground, do you get the voltages as described in the article?

Some other possibilities: Is your meter set to read DC voltage? It could be picking up small amounts of AC, and displaying that. How many wires are going to your oxygen sensor?

We can't be too far off, because you're getting a mileage improvement. But the EFIE doesn't change voltages like that. It holds a steady voltage. The range of voltages powering the EFIE, as you describe, will not cause that. Input voltages would have to be well below 9 volts and changin pretty radically to get changes like that.

Please write back to me, your answers to my questions above.

As to posting pictures, yes, you can do that. Go to the Results forum and start a new thread. When you type in your message, at the bottom you'll see a place to add an attachment. Upload your photo(s) as an attachment. Once you've uploaded them you'll see a button whereby you can insert the photos into your post. Let me know if you still have trouble with this.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-03-2008 08:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Toyota with 4 wire sensor? Mike, it could be a current-based a/f sensor.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-04-2008 09:05 AM
mike Offline

colchiro Wrote:Toyota with 4 wire sensor? Mike, it could be a current-based a/f sensor.

Thanks.

Yes, I suspect that. That's why I want him to do the tests as per How To Read Your EFIE. It will show up that situation because the oxygen sensor signals will not be per that document.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-04-2008 11:12 AM
colchiro Offline

I would think all Toyotas in the last 10 years use a similar system. I read how it works, I think from a link here somewhere, but don't remember it mentioning certain engines, models or years.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-04-2008 09:34 PM
bandit354 Offline

The sensor is not as a/f sensor it is the same sensor toyota used in all there V-6 3.0L engines from 91-95 they are four wire heated 02 sensors with a ground. Bosch after market 02 sensors just installed on the truck two months ago the color wires on bosch 02 sensors are two white your heating element, the green wire is your ground and the black wire is your signal wire this comes true with about 80% of all after market 02 sensors. On toyota vehicles the 02 sensors like to average around .33mv my truck reading the 02 sensor out voltage is .21mv to .67mv when the EFIE is set at .15mv the computer is reading .36mv to .82mv, but yet again that also ranges too if I'm moving in the truck the EFIE puts out higher volts now set to .16mv when at idle it is at .11mv, the EFIE volts stay constant when the truck is not running. The voltage regulator on the truck only puts out 13.7 volts when the truck is running no matter the rpm is, that maybe I had a bad regulator. I'm pretty sure I can raise the volts on the EFIE to at least .275mv lots of out put on the HHO generator that I built. Just being careful at first. Another thing is sometimes when I turn the engine off and then turn the motor back on the EFIE after ten minutes reads .14mv and sometimes after ten minutes it reads .165mv, and the volt meter I have been using has been set to check DC volts to a range of 2000mv.
04-04-2008 09:40 PM
mike Offline

Bandit, I think you'd better send that baby back in to me. Can you get by without it while it's in transit? I can't imagine why an EFIE would do that, except if it's connected to an AFR sensor. I've only seen that same phenomena when hooked up to an AFR. But it sounds like you have a narrow band oxygen sensor. So let me look at that thing. There may be some fault in it that I haven't seen before, and if so, I'll fire you back a new one. If not, at least we'll be able to eliminate the EFIE from the issue.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-04-2008 11:37 PM