Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Inject HHO Before or after MAF sensor?
brad_h Offline

Inject HHO Before or after MAF sensor?
Hi guys, (Mike especially!)

I haven't been on this site in quite some time. I see there's a ton more members since last year! Kudos!

I've got a Hydro Super 2 hooked up on my truck along with Mike's dual efie. Been running it for a while, and I'm not getting much if anything. Last night I got to reading S10 Hybrid's story about his truck. (I think his real name is Eddie...) His story is awesome! Not to mention his documentation is immaculate. I actually built a little system like his earlier today just to see if it worked. And it worked great! Thanks Eddie!

Back to my truck - Hydro Super 2 seems to be working pretty well. By "working" I mean its bubbling pretty good if I put the end of the hose into a jar of water.

Basically the only difference between my setup and Eddie's is his HHO is being injected straight into the air cleaner box on his truck. In the instructions for my Hydro Super 2 it says to put the hose as close the throttle body as possible, so thats what I did. Now I'm wondering what the difference is? My truck (1999 Ranger) has a MAF, so I wouldn't think you'd want it reading the HHO in the airstream, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't think Eddie's S10 has a MAF, so that may be why he did what he did.

I'm just getting really frustrated with this stuff. It seems like no matter what I try (electrolytes, Efie settings) the mpg's are always the same - a horrible 14-16 mpg. I wish to God there was some sort of "standardized" settings I could just set and forget. By the way, anyone else got opinions of the Hydro Super 2?

One more thing: I'm so jealous of everyone that's getting good results!
06-02-2008 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brad_h Offline

RE: Inject HHO Before or after MAF sensor?
Hey guys,

Nobody answered my post, so I decided to do an experiment:

First off, let me restate that I have a Hydro Super 2 unit. I bought it back before I really knew anything about HHO gas. It seems to be a decent unit. I wasn't getting much results with the baking soda, so just today I switched to Roebics drain cleaner. Much more air bubbles! It also pulls a lot more amps, so I had to dilute it quite a bit as compared to the baking soda.

Anyhoo, I wasn't getting much results with my unit. As per the seller's instructions, I hooked up the gas hose after my MAF sensor, just before the throttle body. (My truck, a Ford Ranger 3.0, as well as most Ford's have a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor.)

I did a base run 40 mile test (strictly highway) with the unit hooked up after the MAF: 20.43 mpg. This was better than I had ever got before. This is probably because I almost never drive all highway - I live in Los Angeles. Nuff said. I also think the more productive electrolyte had something to do with it.

Then I removed the air hose and drilled a hole into my air cleaner, BEFORE the MAF sensor. Did the exact same 40 mile run 45 minutes later: 25.13 mpg!!

I really have no idea what's happening here. I always assumed you didn't want the MAF to sense the HHO gas, but apparently I was wrong. I plan on adding a resistor to my MAF wiring as well - I just have to figure out which wire.

Hope this helps somebody.
06-04-2008 12:52 AM
BroBob1 Offline

Good information Brad! I'm glad to see your getting some good results!Smile Keep the feedback comingCool I'm scratching around also trying to figure this thing out too! So it looks like it will be a joint effort amongst us all to get the information out there to simplify it for the future!Gasp
brad_h Wrote:Hey guys,

First off, let me restate that I have a Hydro Super 2 unit. I bought it back before I really knew anything about HHO gas. It seems to be a decent unit. I wasn't getting much results with the baking soda, so just today I switched to Roebics drain cleaner. Much more air bubbles! It also pulls a lot more amps, so I had to dilute it quite a bit as compared to the baking soda.

Anyhoo, I wasn't getting much results with my unit. As per the seller's instructions, I hooked up the gas hose after my MAF sensor, just before the throttle body. (My truck, a Ford Ranger 3.0, as well as most Ford's have a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor.)

I did a base run 40 mile test (strictly highway) with the unit hooked up after the MAF: 20.43 mpg. This was better than I had ever got before. This is probably because I almost never drive all highway - I live in Los Angeles. Nuff said. I also think the more productive electrolyte had something to do with it.

Then I removed the air hose and drilled a hole into my air cleaner, BEFORE the MAF sensor. Did the exact same 40 mile run 45 minutes later: 25.13 mpg!!

I really have no idea what's happening here. I always assumed you didn't want the MAF to sense the HHO gas, but apparently I was wrong. I plan on adding a resistor to my MAF wiring as well - I just have to figure out which wire.

06-04-2008 02:06 AM
jksav7 Offline

Some people have reported better results when the gas is injected before the MAF. Anyway, that's great results on you test run! Now I'm envious of you.

brad_h Wrote:Hey guys,

06-04-2008 08:12 AM
brad_h Offline

I'll keep it coming. I do realize that a 40 mile round trip just isn't a long enough run to get an accurate mpg reading. I just wanted to see the difference between before/after the MAF sensor.

It seems to me maybe that the Fords with a MAF should try doing it this way. I got the idea from this guy.

I hope this helps. I plan on going through a full tank with the HHO going in before the MAF. This should give me a little better estimate. I'm just really getting excited about this because my truck is a gas-guzzling 4x4! The best I had ever done on the highway before was about 17mpg. If I can actually get a consistent 25mpg on the highway, I'll pass out!

Also, for everyone thats getting discouraged, just keep trying! I almost gave up. This is probably one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. The best thing I've purchased so far was an Ammeter. I never used one before on my initial setup - I just poured in some electrolyte and hooked up the hose. Then I got the ammeter, hooked it up and realized I was only drawing 1 or 2 amps! My electrolyte had always been too weak. Now that I can make sure my HHO output is consistent, its going to give me more accurate readings. Not to mention the KOH (Roebics drain cleaner) I'm using is a way better electrolyte. I know its not as eco-friendly as baking soda, but its such a small amount that you need, I can't imagine it being too dangerous. Literally I used about an 1/8 teaspoon.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just trying to give everyone some ideas. I'll restate my entire setup in case anyone is interested. I think its important to tell others what Makes/Models you're experimenting with because each manufacturer's ECMs are different.

1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 FFV 4x4. Automatic. Hydro Super 2 using very small amount of KOH; Mike's Dual Effie on the O2s - set at 160mV; and HHO hose injected before the MAF.
06-04-2008 10:08 AM
brad_h Offline

Sad RE: Inject HHO Before or after MAF sensor?
I wanted to add a little bit of thought to my words of encouragement in my last post. I said to 'just keep trying.' By that I meant to actually read, learn, and make educated decisions. Think about the effects of whatever you do. Please be careful. And try not to just keep drilling holes all over your vehicle's intake like me. Sad

I just read a post from a guy that blew the intake off of his truck because he left the HHO system running when the vehicle was off. I hope everyone is using a relay on their systems!!

We are experimenting with basically an unregulated gas that is potentially more explosive than gasoline.

If my facts are wrong, that's not the point. JUST BE CAREFUL.

I'm so sorry to hear about that guy's truck. I'm guessing he started messing with this stuff for the same reason as me: to save money. Now he's paying a ton of cash to get his truck fixed. SadSad That sucks.
06-04-2008 11:06 AM
Malice 1 Offline

Great info. My aftermarket intake has a pre-tapped hole just before the Throttle body to accept a nitrous oxide fogger. I was going to use that for my HHO input.

After reading this, I'll put my HHO injector near the air cleaner.

I had always previously assumed that the volitile hydrogen would light off when it contacted the HOT sensor element of the MAF. Now that multiple people have proved otherwise, I'll properly locate my line.

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-04-2008 08:10 PM
brad_h Offline

Sounds good, Malice. Bear in mind I just hooked mine up yesterday (6/03/08), so I don't have too much experience with it this way. No problems so far...

It does seem to idle a lot better this way, too. With the tube hooked up right by the throttle body I had been noticing at idle it would run a little rough. Not the case any more. Good luck.

What kind of car are you experimenting on?
06-04-2008 08:27 PM
cyborgmexican Offline

brad_h Wrote:With the tube hooked up right by the throttle body I had been noticing at idle it would run a little rough. Not the case any more.

I'm guessing that by adding the gas up by the air filter allows the gas to be evenly mixed before it gets to the throttle body. If you were to add it right before the throttle body the mixture between cylinders could be uneven and that would definately cause a rough idle.
06-05-2008 05:10 AM
Malice 1 Offline

brad_h Wrote:Sounds good, Malice. Bear in mind I just hooked mine up yesterday (6/03/08), so I don't have too much experience with it this way. No problems so far...

It does seem to idle a lot better this way, too. With the tube hooked up right by the throttle body I had been noticing at idle it would run a little rough. Not the case any more. Good luck.

What kind of car are you experimenting on?

I'm working on a 94 camaro z28.

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-05-2008 05:12 AM