Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Installation on a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
candria77 Offline

Installation on a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I just bought one of the Wide Band Sensors from this place and installed it. We followed the instructions but the problem we are having is that no matter which way we turn the adjustment pot the engine acts like its not getting enough gas, it starts to run very roughly. I have it hooked up to push button switch, and once I turn it off, it runs fine. Any Suggestions?

We have a HHO system that we bought from http://www.Hybridconversions.com that came with a PWM Module and EFIE. We could not get the EFIE to work and HybridConversions customer service sucks. I made some phone calls and I came the conclusion through a few sources that I needed to have a wide band sensor and that was probably why it wasnt working.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2009 04:35 PM by candria77.)
01-12-2009 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Installation on a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Hi Chris. Did you turn the knob all the way to the left (CCW)?

These were developed on a Toyota so it should work. Did you connect it to the 3.3 volt wire (the higher of the two)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2009 03:22 PM by colchiro.)
01-12-2009 03:20 PM
candria77 Offline

We went 1/4 each way to see if it would make a difference and it didnt.
Should we go all the way to the left? Wouldnt that be too much? We feel pretty sure the wiring is hooked up correctly.
01-12-2009 04:30 PM
colchiro Offline

The directions say all the way to the left is where you start. http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/afr_efie_install.html

It sounds like it's working.

At least you have an on/off switch. When I was in that predicament (testing a very-prelim version) and a mile from home, I had to reconnect my o2 wire to get any power. Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2009 05:02 PM by colchiro.)
01-12-2009 05:00 PM
candria77 Offline

I turned it all the way to the left just now, and it was really rough, then I went almost all the way to the right, maybe 3/4 to the right and now its running normal. What does that mean?
01-12-2009 05:12 PM
colchiro Offline

Hopefully it means you're in open loop.

How long did you leave it all the way to the left (counter-clockwise)?

The directions specifically say, "It is a single turn pot. When turned counter-clockwise all the way to the stop, it has almost no effect. When turned clockwise all the way it will add about 5.3 milliamps, which will lean your engine way more than it probably should. Please see the caution in the next section about this. We have no need to read voltages with this device. We just set it for a number on the pot.

.... I'll start this section with a word of caution. Setting these EFIEs too high can cause your engine to run too lean. Running too lean can cause the valves to overheat and may actually burn them, requiring an expensive engine overhaul. If you set this EFIE above 1/2 power, you should consider that you are getting dangerously high."

You need to make sure you don't leave it on very long when getting it to work.

Are you sure we're talking the same direction? Counter-clockwise is like loosening a screw.

Rick

01-12-2009 05:44 PM
candria77 Offline

I turned it all the way to left which would be clockwise and then I moved it all the way to the right until the engine stopped buckling. Right now its set about 3/4 o the right and my mechanic said that its in closed loop, I need to double check that ,but I believe that what he said. I havent driven it anywhere yet, but I had it running at the 3/4 to the right position for about 10 minutes. The settings of this thing seem to be very reactive, when I made the changes described above it did not take long to hear the engine react. Like 30 seconds. Should I try driving like this?
01-12-2009 06:50 PM
colchiro Offline

Look at the clock. When you go from 1:00 to 4:00, that's clockwise. If you go the other way, all the way, (4:00 to 1:00, which I consider to the left)... that's counter-clockwise.

If it seems to be running smooth and with no loss of power, you should be pretty good.

Rick

01-12-2009 07:00 PM
candria77 Offline

Too funny, I dont know how I screwed that up. But ok... So now here is what I did. I turned it to the right, and then went 3/4 to the left. So you think thats ok? That makes me feel better. I am going to fill it up tomorrow and begin bench testing.
01-12-2009 07:04 PM
colchiro Offline

As long as you don't exceed 1/4 turn from the end, that would be a good place to start.

Rick

01-12-2009 07:19 PM