Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is anyone else in the UK?
Daws Offline

Is anyone else in the UK?
Hi, Basically is anyone else on here from the UK? The reason being I want to know if they are having the same problems as me. I CAN NOT source any electrolyte which I keep getting told must be 100% pure, either NaO2 or Potassium Hydroxide. The best I can get is 99% pure sodium Hydroxide. I have been in contact with 4 soap manufacturers who don't supply 100% pure. One Roebic agent said that the drain cleaner brand I requested was not shipped overseas due to the caustic nature of the ingredient. I can buy from USA I suppose at £20 postage + product. I can't believe I cannot find any. I really am becomming very paranoid about this. Can't buy red devi llye either. Can anyone please advise?

Kind regards, DawsonSad
10-27-2008 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom1803 Offline

RE: Is anyone else in the UK?
Have you checked E-Bay?
10-28-2008 04:18 AM
Daws Offline

Tom1803 Wrote:Have you checked E-Bay?

Yep. I have even contacted US companies stocking roebic, they will not ship to UK. There must be different laws applied to UK. Stiil, I find it hard to believe I can't source any 100% pure. Am I missing something somewhere?

regards, Dawson
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2008 10:54 AM by Daws.)
10-28-2008 10:53 AM
benny Offline

Daws Wrote:

Yep. I have even contacted US companies stocking roebic, they will not ship to UK. There must be different laws applied to UK. Stiil, I find it hard to believe I can't source any 100% pure. Am I missing something somewhere?

regards, Dawson

Try B&Q.
Heavy duty drain cleaner.
Yellow bottle
28% NaOH, 2-3% KOH

Large size bottle 10 GBP
Don't purchase any other type with added biological agents.
10-28-2008 12:18 PM
PanamaRik Offline

See if any of these are local to you

http://www.kompass.co.uk/frameset.asp?_L...a&_Zone=GB

Not full addresses but enough info that you can do a local search.

PanamaRik (Who escaped the UK's rain and taxes 4 years ago Smile )

benny Wrote:
Daws Wrote:

regards, Dawson

Try B&Q.
Heavy duty drain cleaner.
Yellow bottle
28% NaOH, 2-3% KOH

Large size bottle 10 GBP
Don't purchase any other type with added biological agents.

Drop by my site at http://gassaver.panamacentric.com and say 'Hi' Rik
10-28-2008 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daws Offline

Benny, I might try B&Q, is it deffo the right stuff? Because 28% sodium Hydroxide + 2-3% Potassium Hydroxide don't equate to 100! What else is in it?
I have so many different brands in my garage that I have bought in error there will soon be a mountain!!

Dawson
10-29-2008 01:16 PM
benny Offline

Daws Wrote:Benny, I might try B&Q, is it deffo the right stuff? Because 28% sodium Hydroxide + 2-3% Potassium Hydroxide don't equate to 100! What else is in it?
I have so many different brands in my garage that I have bought in error there will soon be a mountain!!

Dawson
What else is in it? Water.
100% is crystal,i.e. undiluted. NaOH and KOH are in solution, hence 28% etc. The bottle to look for is bright yellow plastic and is marked "Heavy Duty Drain Opener" in large type.
A little goes a loooong way. Use sparingly. Approximately one bottle capful to 1.5 litres water works fine for me. Equates to a heaped tablespoon Big Grin of liquid. Final mix depends on your own system setup.

To re-iterate, don't buy any other type that lists added biological agents among the contents.

B&Q do several different types.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2008 01:05 AM by benny.)
10-30-2008 12:54 AM
flyingdoc Offline

Daws Wrote:Hi, Basically is anyone else on here from the UK? The reason being I want to know if they are having the same problems as me. I CAN NOT source any electrolyte which I keep getting told must be 100% pure, either NaO2 or Potassium Hydroxide. The best I can get is 99% pure sodium Hydroxide. I have been in contact with 4 soap manufacturers who don't supply 100% pure. One Roebic agent said that the drain cleaner brand I requested was not shipped overseas due to the caustic nature of the ingredient. I can buy from USA I suppose at £20 postage + product. I can't believe I cannot find any. I really am becomming very paranoid about this. Can't buy red devi llye either. Can anyone please advise?

Kind regards, DawsonSad
10-30-2008 08:19 AM
flyingdoc Offline

hi,daws im in uk ive been useing deionized water with quarter a tspn of sodium hydroxide with exellent results on a 2.5 diesel 80% increase approx in mpg.cant see any problem with 99%pure, thats pretty dam pure!,seems more of a prob getting distilled water 4 a reasonable price.chemists have been told not to sell stuff like sodium hydroxide coz of bomb makers!seems crazy when they can just get it at local hardware store..once you install your system this prob will be a minor compared to other teething troubles like pwms overheating+ sensors on the motor,hope you have a vehicle pre 96,anyway goodluck n keep me updated u can contact me ,flyingdoctorcee@hotmail.com or myspace.com hydrogenflux theres a video of my current system in my profile.
10-30-2008 09:32 AM
Daws Offline

Now, here's an upadate - looking good. I am now running my cell in on the bench (using an old computer power supply). It's been ruuning 4 hrs now, initially set at 4 amps, after 4 hrs 12 amps and absloutely no foaming at all!! Yipeeee!!! Must have been contaminated plates. Ive stripped / cleaned them, I'm using 99% pure sodium hydroxide & distilled water. I will 'run in' for several days, then refit to car & measure results.

Thanks for everyone's comments which have helped - I came very close to becomming a Skeptic!!

Daws
11-02-2008 08:28 AM