Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is stainless steel needed in an electrolyser?
sax88player Offline

Is stainless steel needed in an electrolyser?
Hey, I'm planning to build my HHO generator today, and I have been following Eddies instructions from http://www.mindstrain.com. Do I have to use stainless steel? also how thick does it need to be? he used a 3.5X14 push plate from a door that was stainless steel, and non magnetic, and I am having trouble finding what he bought. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Cory
06-27-2008 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Neal77 Offline

RE: Toyota Mods & results
sax88player Wrote:Hey, I'm planning to build my HHO generator today, and I have been following Eddies instructions from http://www.mindstrain.com. Do I have to use stainless steel? also how thick does it need to be? he used a 3.5X14 push plate from a door that was stainless steel, and non magnetic, and I am having trouble finding what he bought. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Cory

I just picked up 2 of these yesterday. I went to ACE hardware and they didn't have any there but he did find a store in Arizona that had some so he had them ship them to his store in CA. You should be able to do the same.
06-27-2008 10:10 AM
sax88player Offline

[split] Toyota Mods & results
But is it essencial that it is stainless steel? I picked up some plain steel today, and didn't want to cut it up till i was sure it would work.

Cory
06-27-2008 04:49 PM
colchiro Offline

RE: Toyota Mods & results
Sax, you're wasting your time if it isn't some form of stainless.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-27-2008 08:23 PM
stevekos7 Offline

RE: [split] Toyota Mods & results
sax88player Wrote:But is it essencial that it is stainless steel? I picked up some plain steel today, and didn't want to cut it up till i was sure it would work.

Cory

Any other carbon type steel without the nickel and other non oxidising metals in the alloy will oxidise (rust) on the + terminals particularly. They won't last more than a week. Platinum or Nickel plated plates are ok but must be well plated and will be very expensive - more than Stainless Steel. Even stainless steel less than 304 grade is no good. Best is 316L but can be hard to get and is getting very expensive too.
07-03-2008 11:58 PM
visek Offline

RE: Is stainless steel needed in an electrolyser?
Check out the discount stores for BBQ tongs...I found some for $2 each. They are magnetic ss...but would beat plain steel I'd guess. Fairly heavy material too....maybe .050".

Take a magnet and maybe you could find some usable non-magnetic 304?

I'll use what I have for non-active straps to hold 304 ss plates.

Or check the recycling places for scrap ss...magnet in hand.
07-04-2008 02:11 AM
Fatman1 Offline

visek Wrote:Check out the discount stores for BBQ tongs...I found some for $2 each. They are magnetic ss...but would beat plain steel I'd guess. Fairly heavy material too....maybe .050".

if you have a way to cut it you can find cheap s/s in 2nd hand stores as in pot and pans, If you want to make a real good one op for 316L and cry about the cost, its as high as gas
07-06-2008 07:05 PM
goingreen Offline

Fatman1 Wrote:
visek Wrote:Check out the discount stores for BBQ tongs...I found some for $2 each. They are magnetic ss...but would beat plain steel I'd guess. Fairly heavy material too....maybe .050".

if you have a way to cut it you can find cheap s/s in 2nd hand stores as in pot and pans, If you want to make a real good one op for 316L and cry about the cost, its as high as gas

HomeDepot has SS Blank Electical Covers for 90 cents each...That's what I used in my Smack Booster...They work great!.
07-06-2008 07:47 PM
Grisen Offline

sax88player Wrote:But is it essencial that it is stainless steel? I picked up some plain steel today, and didn't want to cut it up till i was sure it would work.

Cory

As long as its lye for an electrolyte, you shouldn't notice any rusting.
07-16-2008 07:54 PM
stevekos7 Offline

Grisen Wrote:

Cory

As long as its lye for an electrolyte, you shouldn't notice any rusting.

Grisen is wrong. Anything that can corrode will corrode in an electrolytic bath. Lye is corosive and will aid oxidisation of the plates and make them rust quicker than if they were just in plain water. I used some galv nuts to fix my connections in my first generator and they rusted almost to nothing in a few hours of use.

If you can afford it, nickel plates are fantastic but are very expensive. Solid gold would probably work well but....
07-16-2008 08:15 PM