Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there such thing as too big of a generator
Dean88 Offline
Rebel with a cause

Is there such thing as too big of a generator
Well I am working on my first generator, and I am making it out of a 5.56 ammo box that is 5x7x11in and so I want to use 18 1/4'' SS plates cut in 5x6 pieces alligned in a +nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+ pattern.
I drive a 1980 Ford F100 with a carbed 300 I6, so I have tons of room under the hood, heck I could mount 6 of these things if I wanted to.

So here are my few question
1. Is there such thing as a generator that produces too much HHO

2. How much will I need to lean out my carb

3. How many degrees do I need to retard my timing
06-19-2008 06:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
visek Offline

RE: Is there such thing as too big of a generator
The mpg gain you see will partially be determined by how much alternator load you have. Try to make too much HHO and you might even lose mpg.

You should maybe start at around 10 amps and work up?

If you are using a plastic ammo can...you might be OK...not sure steel will handle the electrolyte for long.

If you add a controlled air bleed in the line coming from your generator...you can lean it out a little that way and have a slight vac on the generator at the same time.

Might try road timing it...where you set it just below pinging level with maybe 1/2 throttle in high gear at lower rpms. I noticed more pinging when running HHO.
06-23-2008 03:50 AM
jksav7 Offline

I agree that drawing too many amps is the main thing to be aware of. Since the truck has a carb you won't have to fight the computer. I would build the most effecient closed-bath series cell that I could since you have plenty of room under that hood.
06-23-2008 08:48 AM
CitatioN10 Offline

+nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+

What makes you want to run it in that config ?

you got 3 positives and 2 negatives while the negative are the ones that really do the work .
06-23-2008 04:24 PM
colchiro Offline

I'd configure that ammo box as 4 separate cells and make each cell (+ -) or (+ - +) and wire them in series (3.5 volts across each cell).

... or 3 cells of (+ N -) or (+ N - N +) with 4.6 volts across each cell (2.3 volts between plates). If you went with the 3 cells and had the room, I'd make the neutrals smack style (2 connected plates make each neutral).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-24-2008 02:59 PM
Dean88 Offline
Rebel with a cause

colchiro Wrote:I'd configure that ammo box as 4 separate cells and make each cell (+ -) or (+ - +) and wire them in series (3.5 volts across each cell).

... or 3 cells of (+ N -) or (+ N - N +) with 4.6 volts across each cell (2.3 volts between plates). If you went with the 3 cells and had the room, I'd make the neutrals smack style (2 connected plates make each neutral).

What makes running cells in series better than running them straight? I thought I needed the N plates for heat issues
06-27-2008 12:56 PM
colchiro Offline

In theory, true series cells about 6x more efficient. See http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=703

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-27-2008 01:08 PM