Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isuzu Project
cstmwrks Offline

Isuzu Project
Anyone remember CRC? and there fuel air preheater to run a v8 from a snowmobile carb? Well believe it or not I built one of them many decades ago and the thing worked.. well sort of. Got some good milage but it was a pain in the neck. Anyhow I took the plunge and purchased an EFIE to install on my 95 isuzu rodeo with the v6. Right now I get 19 mpg and am gunning for 29mpg when I'm done. And I hope that operation won't be a pain in the neck!! Anyone out there done an EFIE install on an Isuzu? If so I would be happy to hear any input from the experience. Once the EFIE is installed and working I was going for a fuel pre heater then an electolizer running off PWM.
Due to a major lack of space under the hood I'm going to try a bumber mount/grille guard type of installation.

Bill
03-04-2008 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Isuzu Project
Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum!

Please be careful running the EFIE on it's own. Over-leaning the engine can overheat the head and valves. You probably won't have any trouble, as the EFIE will not lean huge amounts, but it's use was intended to be with the HHO you plan to install (or other fuel efficiency devices).

When other fuel efficiency devices are installed, they fool the computer into thinking the mix is too lean, and the EFIE compensates for that condition to get the correct air/fuel mixture. It's not really intended to just lean the mix to get better mileage all by itself. However, you're not the first person to do this, and I'm sure you can improve your mpg by doing it. I'll just feel better about the whole thing once you get your HHO device installed.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-04-2008 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cstmwrks Offline

Hi Mike,
Well it is not my intention to use it as a fuel milage booster, though I have read that folks can see some gain just in its use. I just meant that it ( EFIE ) would go in first and checked to be sure it is set up correctly. Am I correct that it can be set to such a very small gain that it does little to nothing to normal signals?
Bill
03-04-2008 05:01 PM
mike Offline

Yes, you're right. You can get an improvement in mpg with it alone. I just wanted to give a word of caution.

Go ahead and test it at .125 or some such. You can drive on it. You won't need a valve job after a test run! Big Grin

Also, once you've got it set up, you can just turn it off (if you have a Deluxe model). That will just reconnect the sensor to the computer, as if it weren't installed. Then turn it on again when you've installed your HHO.

By the way, the EFIE shouldn't be a pain in the neck. You have to fiddle with it a bit to get the right setting, but once that's done, you can forget about it. Maintenance on the HHO devices varies by device, but is generally not too onerous.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2008 02:42 AM by mike.)
03-04-2008 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cstmwrks Offline

Great to hear!.. yes! I got the deluxe model, for the price I just do not see it worth messing with a home brew version or DIY to save a few$$. Plus I figure you made a few hundred or more and experience ought to be worth the price.
03-04-2008 06:54 PM
mike Offline

LOL. We can only hope that the experience is worth something! Smile

Visit Our Documents Page
03-04-2008 07:34 PM
cstmwrks Offline

Got the EFIE and a manual for my Isuzu. For some reason I thought my Rodeo was throttle body injected but after looking into it now with the manual I find it has 6 injectors. Does this type of fuel injection respond well at all to fuel mileage enhancement equipment? like fuel preheating or acetone in the fuel.
03-11-2008 12:27 PM
mike Offline

Both of those technologies should be workable with fuel injection.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-11-2008 12:34 PM
cstmwrks Offline

Well today the EFIE got installed in the Rodeo. Took less than an hour and have been out on a test drive with no lights or warnings coming on. Am going to start running with it at a low setting to see how things handle for awhile. I get 17mpg city driving and 19 mpg on the open road right now.
03-23-2008 11:35 AM
mike Offline

Good start. Let us know how that works out for you.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-23-2008 02:23 PM