Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isuzu Project
cstmwrks Offline

RE: Isuzu Project
I just plugged in a digital meter to the EFIE and turned it on. it was set at 5mv and I slowely started turning it up till I got in the 55mv area and the idles started to bob up and down at a slow but steady rhythm of a few seconds down then up. I've backed it off to 50mv and its now running a steady idle. At this point I have no other fuel saving devices on the rig.
03-23-2008 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Wow, that's low. I'm suspicious that something is wrong if you can only go that high with it.

Please read 2 documents:

1. How To Read Your EFIE
  2. What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor?

Do the tests in #1 above, and let me know your results.

In #2, if you don't have a manual as the article recommends, you should definitely get one. But if you don't have one, for now, just give me the results of the tests in #1.

Thanks.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-23-2008 08:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcite Offline

Question: Are you calling 50 mv .050 on the meter or .500? If it is .500 then you setting is way to high and is actually 500 mv.
03-24-2008 07:54 AM
cstmwrks Offline

I checked on two ranges just to be sure it is .050mv and not .500 or 1/2 a volt. I'm going back out to do more testing as everything reads WAY different today. My 50 mv setting is at 8 now and I did not adjust anything.
03-24-2008 08:27 AM
mike Offline

Please see my earlier post. Let me know the results of those tests. They should help us get going in the right direction.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-24-2008 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cstmwrks Offline

OK... Part of my troubles is too many optoines and ranges on my sperry meter. Anyhow with one range setting I made sure that its 14.00 volts going to the EFIE with the motor running. The 02 sensor puts out .540mv and I do not see a fluctuation on the voltage. The EFIE is set to add about .060mv and when I check the output to the computer I read .600mv so I would say it is working. At that .060mv setting the idle will softly climb from the 750rpm's to about 900 for a few seconds and then drop back for a few seconds. I turn off the EFIE and it goes back to a steady 750 rpm. Setting the EFIE to .050mv or less and the idle stays steady. The 02 sensor has never been changed and it has 105000 miles on it.
03-24-2008 10:05 AM
mike Offline

Do you have a circuit board or a Deluxe EFIE?

With the EFIE turned off (or power removed from circuit board), what do you read between the sensor signal and ground. You should be getting constantly changing voltages. It sounds like you're getting relatively steady voltage. You should see similar changes when the EFIE is on, but the voltages will be raised by the EFIE. They should still be constanly changing, swinging from .2 to .8 or so, several times per second.

Does this sound like what you are seeing?

Visit Our Documents Page
03-24-2008 10:25 AM
cstmwrks Offline

I see no swing in the sensor voltage. Based on the Chilton manual I have the right wire... or at least a wire that goes to the sensor but it is a four wire with a heater. I eleminated any wires that went to ground and that left me with two.. the Chilton guide seemed clear enough to point out what was what as far as heater vs signal but I may very well have that wrong. I just found the sensor today... It is in a pain in the butt location to say the least. Will attempt to chase out the wires.
03-24-2008 02:32 PM
mike Offline

Ok. Let us know how these read. You don't have the heater wire, as it's voltage will be 12 volts. I'm starting to think you might have a bad sensor. The only thing is you should be getting a trouble light.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-24-2008 02:57 PM
cstmwrks Offline

That is the strange part... NO trouble light at all. Here is a general wiring question...If you look at a diagram that shows a blu/red wire would you be looking for a mostly all blue wire with a thin red strip on it? Conversly a red/blu would be an almost all red wire with a thin blue strip? I've been looking things over more and am wondering if the color code in the book runs true to how they actually wired the truck.
03-24-2008 03:25 PM