Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jumping voltage
mike Offline

RE: Jumping voltage
toytech01 Wrote:Well I cut the green wire and the efie went up slowly to about 450. I tested the green wire on the O2 side with it cut, and it showed .02v. Hooked up and tested on the green wire it jumps around the same as the test ports on the efie. So I guess that I can't use the efie? Should I just use an O2 extender or would that even work? I have a 5 wire MAF so the adjustable units don't work on that either. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

.450 is way too high. Definitely lower it. Do you have a circuit board model? I suspect you're not hooked up correctly, either not on the signal wire or something else mis-wired.

Please tell me if you tested the signal wire vs ground with the engine running. You should have done this before installing the EFIE to verify that it's the signal wire. Measured against ground, the signal wire should be fluctuating on your meter between .3 and .8 and changing constantly. Is that what you see (or saw)?

Once you've found the signal wire, did you cut it, and connect EFIE green to the computer side and EFIE white to the ECU side?

Now when measuring the EFIE's voltage, you measure between the white and the green wires. This should be a steady voltage. I wouldn't go above .300 to start with.

Finally, read between the green wire to ground, and you should see the same as when you tested for the signal wire earlier. Then measure between the white wire to ground. You should see the same numbers but offset higher by .300 (or whatever you set the EFIE to).

Now, if any of that solves the case, please tell me what it was. I may have to make the instructions clearer on some point.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-15-2008 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toytech01 Offline

I have the deluxe single model. With the engine on and warmed up I tested and re-tested the 4 wires to my O2 sensor. The first wire measures 13.8v the second is 0v the third shows.01 steady and the 4th jumps between .06 and .79v I cut the 4th wire (jumping voltage wire) and hooked the green wire to the O2 side and the white wire to the other. When I checked the voltage between the black and red ports on the efie without the wires hooked up I got the 450 after I had turned the unit down one full turn. I now have it set at 250. With the green wire hooked back up it and measuring at the red and black ports, the voltage jumps between .06 and 79 again.

mike Wrote:
toytech01 Wrote:Well I cut the green wire and the efie went up slowly to about 450. I tested the green wire on the O2 side with it cut, and it showed .02v. Hooked up and tested on the green wire it jumps around the same as the test ports on the efie. So I guess that I can't use the efie? Should I just use an O2 extender or would that even work? I have a 5 wire MAF so the adjustable units don't work on that either. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

.450 is way too high. Definitely lower it. Do you have a circuit board model? I suspect you're not hooked up correctly, either not on the signal wire or something else mis-wired.

Please tell me if you tested the signal wire vs ground with the engine running. You should have done this before installing the EFIE to verify that it's the signal wire. Measured against ground, the signal wire should be fluctuating on your meter between .3 and .8 and changing constantly. Is that what you see (or saw)?

Once you've found the signal wire, did you cut it, and connect EFIE green to the computer side and EFIE white to the ECU side?

Now when measuring the EFIE's voltage, you measure between the white and the green wires. This should be a steady voltage. I wouldn't go above .300 to start with.

Finally, read between the green wire to ground, and you should see the same as when you tested for the signal wire earlier. Then measure between the white wire to ground. You should see the same numbers but offset higher by .300 (or whatever you set the EFIE to).

Now, if any of that solves the case, please tell me what it was. I may have to make the instructions clearer on some point.
06-16-2008 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

toytech01 Wrote:I have the deluxe single model. With the engine on and warmed up I tested and re-tested the 4 wires to my O2 sensor. The first wire measures 13.8v the second is 0v the third shows.01 steady and the 4th jumps between .06 and .79v I cut the 4th wire (jumping voltage wire) and hooked the green wire to the O2 side and the white wire to the other. When I checked the voltage between the black and red ports on the efie without the wires hooked up I got the 450 after I had turned the unit down one full turn. I now have it set at 250. With the green wire hooked back up it and measuring at the red and black ports, the voltage jumps between .06 and 79 again.

Ok. You got the right signal wire, and that it's not an AFR or some such.

Everything is correct except for the fluctuations between the red and black port. I don't know of any way for this to occur unless either the white or the green EFIE wire is shorted to ground. This will cause a potential difference across the red and black ports that includes the EFIE's voltage (which we expect) PLUS the oxygen sensor's signal (which we don't expect). Note, this should also be causing a trouble light, and be causing terrible gas mileage. It will not harm the ECU, but until it's debugged, you'll want to temporarily leave the efie disconnected and the signal wire reconnected to the ECU.

I think that you somehow shorted your wiring to ground somewhere. However, while unlikely, there may be some weird short in the EFIE. You can test with your ohm meter between the EFIE's green wire and black wire and between the white wire and the black wire. Just to be on the safe side do the same test with the EFIE powered by 12 volts too (but not connected to your car's sensor wire). You should see resistance above like 50K up to infinite reistance (un-measureable with your meter).

The EFIE test should come up negative, but if not write back with the results. Otherwise, you've got to find the short in your own wiring. Something is hooked up right.

Let me know what you find out.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2008 12:38 PM by mike.)
06-17-2008 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toytech01 Offline

OK, I checked the OHMS with the green wire disconected from the O2 sensor. With the efie powered OFF, I got 51.4 ohms on both the green and the white wire. With the efie powered ON, the wite wire went to 49.1ohms and the green wire went to (-12.4) ? With everything hooked up correctly and measuring at the black and red ports and the car first started up, I show 250. As the car warm up it slowly climbs to 291 and then starts jumping all over.
Now what?

mike Wrote:
toytech01 Wrote:I have the deluxe single model. With the engine on and warmed up I tested and re-tested the 4 wires to my O2 sensor. The first wire measures 13.8v the second is 0v the third shows.01 steady and the 4th jumps between .06 and .79v I cut the 4th wire (jumping voltage wire) and hooked the green wire to the O2 side and the white wire to the other. When I checked the voltage between the black and red ports on the efie without the wires hooked up I got the 450 after I had turned the unit down one full turn. I now have it set at 250. With the green wire hooked back up it and measuring at the red and black ports, the voltage jumps between .06 and 79 again.

Ok. You got the right signal wire, and that it's not an AFR or some such.

Everything is correct except for the fluctuations between the red and black port. I don't know of any way for this to occur unless either the white or the green EFIE wire is shorted to ground. This will cause a potential difference across the red and black ports that includes the EFIE's voltage (which we expect) PLUS the oxygen sensor's signal (which we don't expect). Note, this should also be causing a trouble light, and be causing terrible gas mileage. It will not harm the ECU, but until it's debugged, you'll want to temporarily leave the efie disconnected and the signal wire reconnected to the ECU.

I think that you somehow shorted your wiring to ground somewhere. However, while unlikely, there may be some weird short in the EFIE. You can test with your ohm meter between the EFIE's green wire and black wire and between the white wire and the black wire. Just to be on the safe side do the same test with the EFIE powered by 12 volts too (but not connected to your car's sensor wire). You should see resistance above like 50K up to infinite reistance (un-measureable with your meter).

The EFIE test should come up negative, but if not write back with the results. Otherwise, you've got to find the short in your own wiring. Something is hooked up right.

Let me know what you find out.
06-18-2008 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Ok, something is way weird here. You're going to have to send it in to me. Before doing so, double check those readings with both the white and green wires disconnected from the car. If you get the same results,

Did this unit at one time get hooked up to power at the signal leads? Even that wouldn't explain what you're seeing there. But let me know if anything weird like that happened. I'll still fix it, I just would like a clue as to what happened to make it easier to fix.

I'm sending you a PM to set up a return.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008 06:26 PM by mike.)
06-19-2008 06:22 PM