Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
KOH
geno Offline

Question KOH
I see many using the KOH in the soap grade that is 90% pure. Is there any benefit in using KOH in the lab grade that is 99% pure?? Thanks in advance!
01-11-2009 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: KOH
(01-11-2009 09:32 AM)geno Wrote:  I see many using the KOH in the soap grade that is 90% pure. Is there any benefit in using KOH in the lab grade that is 99% pure?? Thanks in advance!
As a general proposition using the purest grade of almost anything is always the better choice; but, sometimes the cost doesn't justify any increase in benefit. The real issue is what is the 10% contaminent in the 90% soap grade.
KOH is obtained commercially by the electrolysis of molten potassium chloride. You may know potassium chloride by it's other name: "a salt substitute". KCl is that other 10%. Salt substitutes are used by persons who need to lower the sodium in their body yet want salt on their baked potatoe. KCl is very similar in its properties to NaCl, common table salt. Neither should be used in an HHO generator for any number of reasons such as upon electrolysis it produces chlorine gas, used in the famous battle of Ypres in WW I [first mass use of chemical warfare]; it will produce HCL, hydrochloric acid, which will eventually turn your KOH back to KCl and literally eat your plates up,
So, the 2 lbs for $12.00 soap grade KOH is not a good deal at all. Spend a little more and get the 99% pure, or, lab grade. You get what you pay for. You don't use that much KOH anyway; usual concentration is 1 to 2 teaspoons/gal. distilled water. There are so many possible variables to consider when trying to get HHO to work in any particular vehicle. Eliminate as many variables as you can and you'll have less headaches. The whole idea is to save gas; not spend a lot of time and money tinkering with a half baked system trying to get it to work. Might as well do it right the first time.
01-11-2009 11:27 AM
geno Offline

Thanks thomasbala for your input. I have been using 100% NaOH and read that it was hard on drycell PVC endplates! I will be using lab grade KOH on a new cell and wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting an $$
Thanks again Geno
01-11-2009 01:43 PM
ptours99 Offline

where can you buy lab grade koh

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
01-16-2009 05:35 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-16-2009 05:35 PM)ptours99 Wrote:  where can you buy lab grade koh
Try this site; lab grade 500g or $13.00:

http://www.carolina.com/product/potassiu...estMatches
01-17-2009 12:18 AM
geno Offline

(01-16-2009 05:35 PM)ptours99 Wrote:  where can you buy lab grade koh

Here is one more where I purchased mine. Lab grade minimun 99% Easy to check shipping cost on the left side!

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Potassi...1C670.aspx
01-17-2009 04:21 PM
ptours99 Offline

thanks guys i appreciate that.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
01-18-2009 02:51 PM