Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keep blowing fuses
sgvaneman Offline

Keep blowing fuses
New here. Yesterday installed HHO unit on 2003 Tacoma. After everything was hooked up, was real excited and my buddy turned on the ignition, 20 amp fuse blew immediately (way before unit was pumping hho). Tried a 25 amp fuse...worked for a while while engine was idling. Unit certainly was pumping out gas (could see the bubbles in line and feel from tip of bubbler the gas) for a good 2 minutes...then rev'd engine and the 25 amp fuse blew.
Had to leave the troubleshooting for later for an apt. and called the hho generator seller and he said, "
1. it might be your mixture (recommened 2 teaspoons of BS per 1 gallon of distilled and I was using more)...you could be generating too many amps (made sense)
2. might be that you chose a power source too high (i chose my 4WD power source since my truck is not 4WD and its a good power on source)
3. might be that you didn't use the 30 amp relay"

So, just now, changed water and mixture out and put new mix in per advice above. Wired through relay but kept source the same. Wiring diagram (30amprelaywiring.jpg) attached.

Can anyone tell me what a good ignition power on source is besides my current one and that doesn't push too much power? And, anyone see anything wrong and can suggest better wiring drawing? I actually think I got it all right but blew another 30 amp fuse this time.

Thanks,
Steve

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-14-2008 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skiers4ever Offline

RE: Keep blowing fuses
Hi Steve, First of all, great job! What kind of Gen do you have? From your schematic, you wouldn't want to use a 30 amp fuse if the wires are rated 25 amps. My guess is that your power source is fine and that your problem is your mix. I would try one teaspoon to start. Get an ammeter (if you don't already have one) so you'll know what your amp draw is. You'll need the meter to tune the system. The amp draw will start off low but go higher after the Gen gets hot. Just start low and build from there realizing that the amps will go up over time. And, there is a memory effect, so give each change some time. Mine takes a couple of days of driving to determine what the Amps, Gen temp, and production will finally be.

I would definitely change to NaOH or KOH as soon as possible. The baking soda is not stable, is not healthy, and will turn your mix dark and solids will build (not to mention mess with your plates). You can get NaOH from Lowes under the name of Roebic...in the drain cleaner section. Make sure you get the crystals and that it says 100% Sodium Hydroxide. True Value carrys 100% Sodium Hydroxide also but I don't recall the name brand. You can get KOH from the web...but you'll have to sign a HAZMAT waiver.

Congrats for trying and good luck!
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
07-14-2008 06:41 PM
PanamaRik Offline

Your diagram shows 25amp wiring and a 30 amp relay, so for safety you should be looking to keep the current draw of the unit around 20 amps max. Hence the 20 amp fuse. A lot depends on the spec of the HHO unit, many should be rated a lot lower due to design limitations and will burn out quickly if overpowered. Assuming the unit can handle the 20 amps, and without an ammeter to measure draw, drain the unit and just fill with distilled water, fit a 10 amp fuse and add a tiny amount of NaOH (drain cleaner) at a time until it blows. Then replace the fuse with a 20 amp one and you should be good to go. Bear in mind that the amperage will increase as the unit heats up, so 10 amp cold is a good starting point. An ammeter is an essential, and reasonably cheap, tool when playing with these things, but the smaller fuse makes a good 'poor mans' substitute.

Rik

sgvaneman Wrote:New here. Yesterday installed HHO unit on 2003 Tacoma. After everything was hooked up, was real excited and my buddy turned on the ignition, 20 amp fuse blew immediately (way before unit was pumping hho). Tried a 25 amp fuse...worked for a while while engine was idling. Unit certainly was pumping out gas (could see the bubbles in line and feel from tip of bubbler the gas) for a good 2 minutes...then rev'd engine and the 25 amp fuse blew.
Had to leave the troubleshooting for later for an apt. and called the hho generator seller and he said, "
1. it might be your mixture (recommened 2 teaspoons of BS per 1 gallon of distilled and I was using more)...you could be generating too many amps (made sense)
2. might be that you chose a power source too high (i chose my 4WD power source since my truck is not 4WD and its a good power on source)
3. might be that you didn't use the 30 amp relay"

So, just now, changed water and mixture out and put new mix in per advice above. Wired through relay but kept source the same. Wiring diagram (30amprelaywiring.jpg) attached.

Can anyone tell me what a good ignition power on source is besides my current one and that doesn't push too much power? And, anyone see anything wrong and can suggest better wiring drawing? I actually think I got it all right but blew another 30 amp fuse this time.

Thanks,
Steve

Drop by my site at http://gassaver.panamacentric.com and say 'Hi' Rik
07-14-2008 07:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sgvaneman Offline

got unit from http://www.hhoautomotive.com.

actually, it may or may not be the "25 amp wiring"...I modified a diagram to fit my custom job and left that little detail by mistake.

but, my thing is...i'm blowing the fuse way before gas is produced. is everyone sure that my relay is wired correctly?
07-14-2008 08:23 PM
sgvaneman Offline

OK, No fuses blowing now. Rewired and reconnected all points...the amp relay is wired as follows:

30 = to 25 amp fuse, fuse to positive terminal of 12v battery
85 = ground
86 = The ignition on position
87 = to positive terminal on HhO unit

But...no hho being generated. Checked wires with volt meter and I'm getting current on wire to generator. Everything is grounded. Frustrated, giving up for the day.
07-15-2008 03:09 PM
paulo500 Offline

I don't know much about ignition output or anything like that, but is it possible that when you fire up your truck, there is extra juice pushing thru just to get the vehicle started?
What if you connected 86 to your wiper blade motor instead? (Power is there only when the ignition is on)
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2008 08:37 AM by paulo500.)
07-16-2008 08:33 AM
cantburn Offline
All Fired Up

http://search.altenergystore.com/energy/...mp%20meter

make sure and install one of these they help

"Life is but a tire swing"
07-16-2008 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply