Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LIquid gas to vapor conversion a mix
rpatzer Offline

LIquid gas to vapor conversion a mix
I have read and talked to people who know/built cars that run on vapor only. Anybody have any thought on the following:
I am going to instal a valve inline to the gas feed to the injectors. I will cut down on the liquid gas and at the same time will increase the vapor to maintain the correct/adequate ratio. I have the MPG vaporizer.
I talked to one person and he helped convert a late model continental car to all vapor by shutting off the injectors. He said they got 60-70 mpg. Anybody find any fault with this theory? Any damage to the engine?
03-22-2015 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: LIquid gas to vapor conversion a mix
I have no expertise on this to offer. From what I can tell, vapor is the best method of fuel economy I know of. I've heard of much higher MPG results on vapor than 60 mpg. I've heard of over 200 mpg with pure vapor systems on a small car. I would be very interested to hear of your results.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-25-2015 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kd4hvz Offline

I have yet to find anyone who has run a vapor system for any amount of time and done repeatable MPG calculations. Still, even a 10% increase would be nice, let alone 50% or more.

One thing that I would be curious about is how you (or others) are achieving the ideal air/fuel mix?

I'm wondering if there is a way to optimize the amount of mist (with a controlled ultrasonic mister or something) so that the engine is not running too lean or rich. I can't wrap my head around how people are getting the right mix under varying speeds.
03-28-2015 05:02 PM
rpatzer Offline

[quote='kd4hvz' pid='39445' dateline='1427590930']
I have yet to find anyone who has run a vapor system for any amount of time and done repeatable MPG calculations. Still, even a 10% increase would be nice, let alone 50% or more.

One thing that I would be curious about is how you (or others) are achieving the ideal air/fuel mix?

I'm wondering if there is a way to optimize the amount of mist (with a controlled ultrasonic mister or something) so that the engine is not running too lean or rich. I can't wrap my head around how people are getting the right mix under varying speeds.
(/quote)
I just installed an inline valve to control the volume to the injectors. I ran it lean so it would stall on demand and now I am opening up the vaporizer to compensate. I have an AFR meter, and that is how I determine my mix.
I am letting the onboard computer maintain the correct ratio of 14.1:7
The vaporizer is going to be constant while the computer can regulate the liquid gas. That is my theory. I will see how it turns out.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 07:53 AM by rpatzer.)
03-29-2015 07:52 AM
kd4hvz Offline

That sounds like a reasonable and effective method. I will be watching to see how you do.

I have an ultrasonic humidifier from Walmart that I was considering using to make an ultrasonic gas vaporizer and since it has a variable control that has an almost instantaneous response I was contemplating wiring the variable pot to the throttle. That would at least make the vapor and engine speed somewhat proportional. The actual air/fuel mix was my quandary and was thinking about using an O2 sensor just to measure the mix and see what was going on.

If what you do works well I might try something similar (like let the O2 sensor feed into a micro-controller which in turn controls the vaporizer output).

I look forward to seeing how you make out. Keep up the good work!
03-30-2015 04:13 AM
rpatzer Offline

(03-30-2015 04:13 AM)kd4hvz Wrote:  That sounds like a reasonable and effective method. I will be watching to see how you do.

I have an ultrasonic humidifier from Walmart that I was considering using to make an ultrasonic gas vaporizer and since it has a variable control that has an almost instantaneous response I was contemplating wiring the variable pot to the throttle. That would at least make the vapor and engine speed somewhat proportional. The actual air/fuel mix was my quandary and was thinking about using an O2 sensor just to measure the mix and see what was going on.

If what you do works well I might try something similar (like let the O2 sensor feed into a micro-controller which in turn controls the vaporizer output).

I look forward to seeing how you make out. Keep up the good work!

What I have done so far is to lean out the liquid so it tends to stall on demand( it will run at low demand) and then add in more vapor. The vapor mix is the tricky part. BTW- I actually have a vaporizer inline as well as a condensator. The condensator also acts as a second vaporizer. I can open up the vaporizer just enough to feed liquid gas into the condensator which then can act as a bubbler as well as collect the oil from the PCV. The oil collection is negliable, but only oil and gas vapors then pass on to the intake manifold.
As I said, from here on it is trial and error. My AFR meter lets me know when it is too rich.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 05:00 AM by rpatzer.)
03-30-2015 04:53 AM
rpatzer Offline

My plan consisted of Plan A and Plan B.\
Plan A was to lean out the liquid gas so the car would stall on demand. And then compensate by increasing the vapor. When I tried to do this, at low RPMs it was running too rich. I had no way to regulate the vapor. The vaporizer put out the same volume of vapor regardless of demand or rpm. So that didn't work.
Plan B- next I set the vaporizer to specs- 10 drops/liter. My 97 Honda Accord VTEC, 5 speed, 2.2L would then require 22 drops/minute. I set the vaporzer accordingly and then leaned out the liquid just enough so the car didn't stall on demand. That way I would let the computer regulate the liquid as needed so as to avoid being too rich.
But I found that Plan B also didn't work. I didn't get any mileage increase to make it worth while.
My car new in 97 had the following specs: City- 22mpg, Freeway- 28mpg.
With my vaporizer I am able to get: City- 27mpg, Freeway- 38mp. So I am going to be content with the current specs.
The Honda has a high pressured feed to the injectors with a low pressure return to the tank. So probabley the liquid that wasn't used was returned to the tank so it didn't make any difference when I cut the liquid to the injectors- the car used what it needed and returned the rest.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 09:55 PM by rpatzer.)
04-19-2015 09:54 PM
kd4hvz Offline

It sounds like you at least have a 20%-30% increase with your current system so that is encouraging. You are one of the few that I have seen making actual measurements so it is much more encouraging to me to get something going than just hearing people talk about what mileage they "hope" to have.

So since Plan A and B did not do what you had hoped, what configuration did you end up doing to get the 27/38 MPG?
04-20-2015 02:56 PM
rpatzer Offline

(04-20-2015 02:56 PM)kd4hvz Wrote:  It sounds like you at least have a 20%-30% increase with your current system so that is encouraging. You are one of the few that I have seen making actual measurements so it is much more encouraging to me to get something going than just hearing people talk about what mileage they "hope" to have.

So since Plan A and B did not do what you had hoped, what configuration did you end up doing to get the 27/38 MPG?

I just installed the MPG vaporizer inline with clean air intake after the air filter and the PVC I cut into the line after the MPG vaporizer so the "oily vapor" wouldn't foul/inhibit the vaporizer and that mix went into the intake manifold.
04-21-2015 06:58 AM
rpatzer Offline

I made a video of my vapor unit. You can see it on YOUTUBE. Just google up "MPG Vaporizer on 97 Accord."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c700HEAjx3E
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 05:51 AM by rpatzer.)
06-22-2015 10:38 PM