Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Little 25 plate dry cell for 65 bucks
hydrotinkerer Offline

Cool Little 25 plate dry cell for 65 bucks
I wanted to build a fairly inexpensive dry cell that would put out 1lpm.
I started out with 25 switch plates and one piece of ss from some restaurant equipment. I flattened the plates in a press and finished them with a hammer and anvil. I cut one corner on all but 5 plates.

I bought some 1/8" neoprene from a local rubber manufacturer. I believe it cost 16 dollars for a 36x36" piece.
The end plates are from walmart(cutting board)10 dollars.

I used the setup +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+. I put the odd piece of ss in the center "+" slot. I didn't put any holes in it at first. After the first run I took the center "+" out and drilled 4 holes in each corner 3/16" in diameter. I did that because the temp was running hot.

The first run produced 1lpm@13.2amps at a temp of 145*F.
The second run produced 1lpm@14.25amps at a temp of 110*F. The second run was with the center plate drilled.
I expect the production to get better after some conditioning.

So for about 65 bucks and a little time.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2009 05:01 AM by hydrotinkerer.)
11-12-2008 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: Little 25 plate dry cell
I honestly would have expected more output with four banks of six cells. Plate working surface must be small in there. Looks good tho.
11-12-2008 07:17 PM
hydrotinkerer Offline

Yea knowing what I know now my gaskets would be 1/4" instead of 1/2". I hope it will drop some amps as it conditions and gets some hrs. Its only 360 sq. inches of surface area.
11-12-2008 07:24 PM
howiemandel Offline

very cool and good looking cell. !!
11-13-2008 01:05 AM
Gary Offline

For these small cells, I think O-ring roll material is the way to go. You totally maximise your working area.

11-13-2008 04:57 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

I agree with that just going from 1/2" to 1/4" gaskets changed the production surface from 360sq.inches to 432sq.inches. O-ring material would give almost the total surface working. Next project I guess(like I don't have enough now)
11-13-2008 05:46 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

This picture was before it got wet but the tape measure gives you an idea of the size.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 06:35 PM by hydrotinkerer.)
11-13-2008 05:50 AM
Milosm Offline

hydrotinkerer Wrote:This picture was before it got wet but the tape measure gives you an idea of the size.

Hydro: If you look at the photos that Gary showed you of my cell( on the dry cell thread). It was made of 4"x4"x,032" ,316 SSI used 3.5" X120" ID O-RINGS , the working area within the rings was close to 10 Square inches,I ran two 7series cells in parallel, following the formula of .5 amps per square inch for top efficiency(I read it someware) I now had 20 sq.in per 10 amps. I started testing in that configuration and could hardly get the current draw above 3 amps. I started removing neutral plates from the ciruit by moving jumpers around and the current almost dubbled for every neutral plate I jumpered out. I stoped at 5 neutral plates per generator.(I was at 12 amps and putting out over 1.2LPM). Since I was using O-Rings, I got some added benefits (1)I had plate over hang that acted like raderator fins for cooling (2)the nuts wewe only finger tight for a good seal (3) they were cheap, $0.40 each (4 I didn't have to make any gaskets,(5) the rings guided the gasses to the outlet port).
What I had noticed then was that cell was not pumping and getting hot. I disassembled the cell and found that all the action was below the gas outlet hole ( I had a "tero" cell), I opened the electrolyte return hole in each plate from 1/8" to 1/4" and the generator began pumping intermittently, I then added a gas port and a electrolyte return port to each end plate. The pumping improved, one side would pump and then the other. I then then removed the center and replaced it withone that only had bolt holes, I also noticed that the gas outlet holes in each plate showed evidence flooding and electrolytic action was 3/4 the way up the hole.
I reassembled the generator, I now have even gas production from each generator, they both were getting the same electrolytic concintration the pumping action and flow increased and was even for each side side and I got alittle more gas out put (.1LPM), and I'm running cooler. I hope this helped MiloM (doug.) I have now moved on to H2 production, I now have a design for a Series 5 dry cell with H2 gas separation that can run 2 generators in parallel. As soon as I have the proto type working I'll release it to you.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2008 09:57 AM by Milosm.)
11-23-2008 09:43 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

I think the reason this one ran hot the first time(w/solid center)was the small production area inside the gaskets and since they are switch plates the hole being used for gas is to low on the plate. Reading your post gives me an idea of an extra gas hole higher on the plate. That might give the gen. better gas and electrolite circulation. I'm changing my gaskets to 1/16" and cutting them from 1/2"width to 1/4" to get more surface area. When I do that I'll put a smaller hole higher on the plate for gas and put the solid center back and see how it acts then.

You don't happen to have a picture of one of your plates before you assembled your gen?
11-23-2008 10:13 AM
realtyroy Offline

Hydro, you say your end plates you picked up at Walmart for about $10. Is that the plastic cutting board material?
Does it have much flex to it when you snug everything down?

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-23-2008 11:35 AM