Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MAF/MAP Enhancers
Greencell Offline

MAF/MAP Enhancers
Hi,

I have been looking at MAF/MAP Enhancers and they all appear to require constant manual adjustment. Does anybody know if theres is a digital device that automatically adjusts itself depending on the driving conditions once it has been set up?

Thanks

Jay
12-16-2009 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: MAF/MAP Enhancers
(12-16-2009 11:07 AM)Greencell Wrote:  Hi,

I have been looking at MAF/MAP Enhancers and they all appear to require constant manual adjustment. Does anybody know if theres is a digital device that automatically adjusts itself depending on the driving conditions once it has been set up?

Thanks

Jay
The MAF/MAP sensor is supposed to do that all by itself. When you put an enhancer on a MAP/MAF you deprive the MAP/MAF of that capability. Most will tell you that MAF/MAP enhancers do little if anything to increase mpg. you need an EFIE.
12-16-2009 07:55 PM
Greencell Offline

(12-16-2009 07:55 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Thanks

Jay
The MAF/MAP sensor is supposed to do that all by itself. When you put an enhancer on a MAP/MAF you deprive the MAP/MAF of that capability. Most will tell you that MAF/MAP enhancers do little if anything to increase mpg. you need an EFIE.

The problem I have is that my car is a Diesel with no O2 Sensor. Yet when I switch on my hydrogen system on the car starts to overfuel and my MPG starts to drop. The only thing I thought I could try next is the MAF Enhancer. Unless anyone else has any suggestions.
I have seen those VOLO FS-2 chips but have read mixed reports.

Jay
12-17-2009 02:34 AM
thomasbala Offline

(12-17-2009 02:34 AM)Greencell Wrote:  
(12-16-2009 07:55 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Thanks

Jay

The problem I have is that my car is a Diesel with no O2 Sensor. Yet when I switch on my hydrogen system on the car starts to overfuel and my MPG starts to drop. The only thing I thought I could try next is the MAF Enhancer. Unless anyone else has any suggestions.
I have seen those VOLO FS-2 chips but have read mixed reports.

Jay

Are you sure there's no O2 sensor, or A/F sensor? Most of the newer diesels have one or the other. Look in the docs section of this forum. There's someone here who will know exactly what you have if you give them year, make, model, engine, etc. Your symptoms are just like a gasoline engine without an EFIE - introduction of HHO reduces mpg. The diesels without O2 or A/F sensors take to HHO quite well. I know of a manufacturer that makes cells strictly for diesel trucks and has had success with all diesels except a certain Caterpillar model. If you find out for sure that you don't have O2 or A/F sensors maybe your're using too much HHO; however, I've never heard of a case of too much HHO reducing mpg. Good luck.
12-17-2009 03:14 PM
Greencell Offline

I am 95% sure that I don't have an O2 sensor. I bought an efie for the car and took it to an auto electrician to fit it for me. He got under the car to find it and it wasn't there. I then took a look myself and couldn't see anything. He then phoned a friend of his who is a Ford technician and he said he didn't think it had one on my particular vehicle.
I am a bit confused as to why it is running rich without the O2 sensor. The only other thing I thought it could be is the MAF, but I have put the injector for the hydrogen past the MAF on the air intake.
The car is a 2005 Ford Focus C Max 1.8 Turbo Diesel (UK Car).
Sad
12-20-2009 07:00 AM
thomasbala Offline

(12-20-2009 07:00 AM)Greencell Wrote:  I am 95% sure that I don't have an O2 sensor. I bought an efie for the car and took it to an auto electrician to fit it for me. He got under the car to find it and it wasn't there. I then took a look myself and couldn't see anything. He then phoned a friend of his who is a Ford technician and he said he didn't think it had one on my particular vehicle.
I am a bit confused as to why it is running rich without the O2 sensor. The only other thing I thought it could be is the MAF, but I have put the injector for the hydrogen past the MAF on the air intake.
The car is a 2005 Ford Focus C Max 1.8 Turbo Diesel (UK Car).
Sad
Let's assume you don't have an O2 sensor or A/F sensor. The question then becomes what is telling the ECU that your mixture is too lean and to therefore increase the pulse width to the fuel injectors causing a richer mixture? The MAF does not analyze the exhaust; only O2 and A/F sensors do that. If there's no O2 or A/F sensors then the introduction of HHO is not the cause a rich condition. Trace (visually) the exhaust from the exhaust manifold to the muffler and see if there's anything screwed in there with wires coming out. If there is, that's the sensor. You may want to buy a shop manual. Here in the U.S. we have them readily available at auto parts stores; I assume same is true in the UK. Where are you injecting the HHO? Is there a vacuum leak at the injection site? When you run without HHO does mpg increase?
12-20-2009 12:46 PM
Greencell Offline

Hi Thomasbala,

I have traced down from the the manifold along the exhaust and there is nothing screwed in (O2 sensor wise). I have located my injector just past the MAF. When I run with HHO system on the MPG goes from 36ish MPG down to 32-33MPG.
I will double check the injection point for leaks.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts.

Jay
12-31-2009 01:49 PM
thomasbala Offline

(12-31-2009 01:49 PM)Greencell Wrote:  Hi Thomasbala,

I have traced down from the the manifold along the exhaust and there is nothing screwed in (O2 sensor wise). I have located my injector just past the MAF. When I run with HHO system on the MPG goes from 36ish MPG down to 32-33MPG.

Jay
Look at this post. He appears to have the same vehicle you do and the same problems (drop in mpg). He's sure he has an O2 sensor! Apparently Ford only sold the Focus diesel in the EU because I can't find any parts for a ford focus diesel in the U.S. Send him a post and ask him where the O2 sensor is. BTW, have you looked behind the exhaust heat shield?

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-Diesel-...ford+focus
12-31-2009 04:45 PM
Greencell Offline

(12-31-2009 04:45 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(12-31-2009 01:49 PM)Greencell Wrote:  Hi Thomasbala,

Jay
Look at this post. He appears to have the same vehicle you do and the same problems (drop in mpg). He's sure he has an O2 sensor! Apparently Ford only sold the Focus diesel in the EU because I can't find any parts for a ford focus diesel in the U.S. Send him a post and ask him where the O2 sensor is. BTW, have you looked behind the exhaust heat shield?

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-Diesel-...ford+focus

Thanks for your help Thomasbala
01-01-2010 09:02 AM
Greencell Offline

Hi,

I have now double checked. I have spoken to my for dealership and they have confirmed that my Focus does not have a O2 sensor. I have also checked the injection point for leaks and it is sealed up nice and tight.
What should I check next??

Thanks

Jay
01-04-2010 02:07 AM