Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MAF Sensor Help
HydroxyNow Offline

MAF Sensor Help
HI Guys

Can anyone offer assistance with my MAF sensor?

I have a 94 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with a MAP sensor (variable voltage type) but I am confused about the wires. Unlike the typical MAF/MAP mine has FOUR WIRES....

Red and Black stripe (positive)
Black with green stripe (negative?)

Tan with LT Blue stripe .....variable voltage, Alldata schematic says MAF RTN (MAF return to ECU/ECM?)

LT Blue with Red stripe.....variable voltage, Alldata schematic says MAF

I have taken a multimeter and probed the two wires labeled as MAF wires but they BOTH HAVE a variable voltage (millivolts)when you rev the engine., with similiar voltages.

Which one is the ECU using as the signal wire????

Thanks in advance
[/font]
05-28-2008 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: MAF Sensor Help
I'll bet one of those is the MAF signal wire to the ECU and the other is a signal wire for a temperature sensor.

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
05-28-2008 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
big-daddy Offline

I,m running into the same problem with my 2007 F150, I,m thinking that the wire going into the MAF is the one to cut. After build the unit and testing it the wiring the connects to the ECU has zero voltage and the wire that connects to the MAF they are asking to set it at 5. volts to start. Ok so if you bring down the voltage going into the MAF, i,m sure the voltage coming out will be less too.
05-30-2008 02:50 AM
AlexR Offline

Big-Daddy,
That is a possibility, but I would make my mods on the signal wires that run between the MAF and the ECU first. Your MAF has a computer chip or two in it and reducing incoming voltage too much may cause it to not work properly.

Reducing the input voltage to the sensor could work, but I would try adjusting the output voltage first, it's much simpler. I'd try that first.

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
05-30-2008 04:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
big-daddy Offline

Input voltage is 5. volts all the time......... Just an sample, Input voltage is 5. volt and I change it to 4.75 the MAF makes its adjustment on the volumn of air and send back .25 less to the ECU. Less voltage Less fuel

More simpler for me

Ricky
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2008 05:36 AM by big-daddy.)
05-30-2008 05:35 AM
qsiguy Offline

Modifying the input voltage reference, like big-daddy is suggesting, is the way to do it. It's simpler to regulate a steady voltage supply than to change the output voltage. It also make it much easier to measure the change you have made.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2008 07:53 AM by qsiguy.)
05-30-2008 07:52 AM
cabrera Offline

(05-28-2008 12:52 PM)HydroxyNow Wrote:  HI Guys

Can anyone offer assistance with my MAF sensor?

I have a 94 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with a MAP sensor (variable voltage type) but I am confused about the wires. Unlike the typical MAF/MAP mine has FOUR WIRES....

Red and Black stripe (positive)
Black with green stripe (negative?)

Tan with LT Blue stripe .....variable voltage, Alldata schematic says MAF RTN (MAF return to ECU/ECM?)

LT Blue with Red stripe.....variable voltage, Alldata schematic says MAF

I have taken a multimeter and probed the two wires labeled as MAF wires but they BOTH HAVE a variable voltage (millivolts)when you rev the engine., with similiar voltages.

Which one is the ECU using as the signal wire????

Thanks in advance
[/font]

I'm sure you have your answer by now but for others who may need to know...This is the wire you need to cut.

[Image: MAF%2520Wire%2520Ford.jpg]

HHOSportTrac- The Project
21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell
05-25-2010 07:00 PM
koya1893 Offline

Here's my 02 cents on the subject since most of the vehicle I've install a system on are Ford. If you have an EFIE handling the O2, Ford vehicles are very touchy with MAF sensors. The EFIE's installed and adjusted correctly you will yield 40-50%. The Town Car I use as test bed is consistent with 48% on mix driving. I recommend abandon the MAF sensor idea and focus on the O2 with an EFIE. The Quad Digital is great for handling all four.
05-26-2010 05:34 PM