Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MAP/MAF enhancer on vehicle with both
brcisna Offline

MAP/MAF enhancer on vehicle with both
Hello ALL,
Just got done wrapping up my first HHO install on a 'donor vehicle' of my neighbors.
It is a 1998 Buick Lesabre. This car has BOTH a MAP & MAF sensor. I hand built my own dual edge MAP/MAF enhancer from a diagram found on the net. It bench tested fine after i got it all soldered up,with a 5 volt power supply to it. it functioned as expected in that it would go down to half voltage on both of the two pots when turned max clockwise.
After getting it installed onto the vehicle I hooked it to first the MAP sensor and could not get it to kill out the engine by turning it full clockwise. It did not do anything in regards to decreasing rpm? I am certain I have it wired to the MAP sensor as the digram explained. After this I switched it over to the MAF sensor,with NO results on it,,,either.
My question is,has anyone setup a MAP/MAF sensor ona vehicle with both of these on the intake?
What am I missing?

Thank You,
Barry
04-14-2011 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: MAP/MAF enhancer on vehicle with both
I can't really tell you what's wrong with your install. We have 2 articles on our site that tells you how to make and install a MAP/MAF enhancer. Maybe these can help you:

Note, the 2 articles have different MAP enhancer designs. The first one has the design that I think you are using. The other one has a simpler design that works just as well.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/tuning-for-mileage

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/simple-map-maf-enhancer

I hope these can help you.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-15-2011 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
creepyjon Offline

If a car has both a map and a maf, focus on the maf. The map sensor is for altitude adjustments and only plays a small role in fuel calculation. The maf is reading how much air is coming into the engine, and needs to be adjusted. Don't forget about the o2 sensor, that's the most important one to modify. Oh and good luck that's an obd2 car, and they are know to eat intake gaskets and leak coolant into the engine. I would not want to run that one lean and have it run hot, bad things will happen. Look up the class action lawsuit gm lost about the 3100 series engines.
04-15-2011 10:54 PM
poorfarm Offline

(04-15-2011 04:14 PM)mike Wrote:  I can't really tell you what's wrong with your install. We have 2 articles on our site that tells you how to make and install a MAP/MAF enhancer. Maybe these can help you:

Note, the 2 articles have different MAP enhancer designs. The first one has the design that I think you are using. The other one has a simpler design that works just as well.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/tuning-for-mileage

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/simple-map-maf-enhancer

I hope these can help you.

i tried these designs they didnt work
03-21-2012 03:22 PM
mike Offline

I don't know what you mean by "didn't work". Both of those designs work if used on a voltage type MAP or MAF. Either you didn't build it right, or perhaps you have frequency type MAP or MAF.

Voltage types are more common, but there are plenty of the frequency types out there too. That requires electronics. The simple handling won't work for that one. But that's also covered in the 2nd article I linked you to before. The one about a simple MAP/MAF enhancer. If you have a frequency type device, you'll need to buy the frequency MAP/MAF enhancer that's linked in the article.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-21-2012 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
poorfarm Offline

i built the dual one
have 5 volts at map
signal wire changes readings at rpm
it didnt change when i adjusted it
95 chevy ob1 310.000 miles
[img][Image: SimplestComboEnhancer1.jpg][/img]

i found this combo on net think it will work
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 02:18 AM by poorfarm.)
03-22-2012 02:04 AM
mike Offline

This is the simplest design for a dual edge map enhancer. It has a switch from city to highway, and also a switch to revert back to factory (no enhancement). When assembled correctly, it works perfectly. There's no advantage to using the voltage regulator version.

More details about this design can be found here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/simple-map-maf-enhancer .

But note, I asked you earlier what you meant when you say it "didn't work". What exactly didn't work? You may have a frequency type MAP (or MAF), and neither of these designs will work on a MAP or MAF that puts out a frequency signal. These designs will work on devices that signal the computer with a simple voltage signal only.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 09:45 AM by mike.)
03-22-2012 09:42 AM
poorfarm Offline

(03-22-2012 09:42 AM)mike Wrote:  This is the simplest design for a dual edge map enhancer. It has a switch from city to highway, and also a switch to revert back to factory (no enhancement). When assembled correctly, it works perfectly. There's no advantage to using the voltage regulator version.

More details about this design can be found here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/simple-map-maf-enhancer .

But note, I asked you earlier what you meant when you say it "didn't work". What exactly didn't work? You may have a frequency type MAP (or MAF), and neither of these designs will work on a MAP or MAF that puts out a frequency signal. These designs will work on devices that signal the computer with a simple voltage signal only.

i8 built that one and a single neither one changed when i turned it to right engine didnot change in rpm or studder
i found that one on net it is suppost to be a map and effie
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 02:18 PM by poorfarm.)
03-22-2012 02:17 PM
mike Offline

Its impossible for that circuit to not change the voltage. It's a voltage divider. It will change the voltage. You must have had something assembled incorrectly.

As for lugging the engine, if you have a frequency device, it won't work. Even if you have a voltage device, it may not lug the engine. It depends on how the computer is programmed. Some of them won't let the fuel flow go below a normal amount for idle. Those kinds won't lug down no matter what you do to the sensors.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-22-2012 02:58 PM
poorfarm Offline

(03-22-2012 02:58 PM)mike Wrote:  Its impossible for that circuit to not change the voltage. It's a voltage divider. It will change the voltage. You must have had something assembled incorrectly.

As for lugging the engine, if you have a frequency device, it won't work. Even if you have a voltage device, it may not lug the engine. It depends on how the computer is programmed. Some of them won't let the fuel flow go below a normal amount for idle. Those kinds won't lug down no matter what you do to the sensors.

the one with the regulator i think is backwards the regulator should be on the o2 side to adj volt to o2 sensor
ok i found it cold solder joint
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012 03:31 AM by poorfarm.)
03-23-2012 02:53 AM