Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MAP or MAF enhancer?
Zipstor Offline

MAP or MAF enhancer?
I have a car that does not have a MAP sensor but a MAF sensor. Would a MAP sensor would work the same way if I wire it to the MAF sensor?

Here is the device I want to get.
http://www.magnumtuning.com/index.phtml?...mek_id=685

Cheers.

>> http://brownsgas.com
12-07-2008 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: MAP or MAF enhancer?
Generally the MAF sensor just needs a pot (variable resistor) in series with the ground or sensor wire so you wouldn't need to buy an expensive mod like this. O/w you could ask the seller if it works with a MAF sensor.

See my Tuning for Mileage link for info on modding a MAF sensor.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2008 03:38 PM by colchiro.)
12-08-2008 03:38 PM
thomasbala Offline

Zipstor Wrote:I have a car that does not have a MAP sensor but a MAF sensor. Would a MAP sensor would work the same way if I wire it to the MAF sensor?

Here is the device I want to get.
http://www.magnumtuning.com/index.phtml?...mek_id=685

Cheers.
Before you buy anything read the Tuning For Mileage docs. You'll find that O2 sensors rule. Any change made by a MAF enhancer is overridden by the O2 sensors. You need an EFIE. No matter how glitzy the web advertizement a MAF enhansor is nothing more than a $3.95 Radio Shack potentiometer. An EFIE, on the other hand, actually changes the signal sent to the ECU either lengthening or shortening the pulse width signal sent to the fuel injectors.
12-08-2008 04:35 PM
colchiro Offline

Thomas is correct, the o2 sensor has the last say.

Zip, I didn't see what vehicle you have.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-08-2008 05:17 PM
Zipstor Offline

colchiro Wrote:Thomas is correct, the o2 sensor has the last say.

My car is a 1995 Holden (GM) Commodore with a 3.8L V6 "ecotec". I'm running it as I speak with only the generator, as required on the waterboost manual, apparently to clean the inside of the engine, and I'm probably (surely) overfueling. At this stage I'm still confused on what to buy in order to complete my system and start saving. The waterboost people told me MAF/MAP sensor enhancer and O2 sensor enhancer would be equivalent, and they keep confusing me everytime I ask them questions.

My goal is to have full control of my [petrol:gas] ratio. After reading your response I might be thinking of buying a O2 sensor with a dial. I'm very short in cash these days and I have found this one here:

http://stores.homestead.com/hydrogengara...Detail.bok

Any thoughts?

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2008 05:47 PM by Zipstor.)
12-08-2008 05:43 PM
colchiro Offline

I hope you've done this before. O/w trying to debug defective electronics can be an uphill battle.

Mike's cheapest double efie board is $65, so much more money. OTOH, you'll find better support here than there. Ask anyone here that's purchased an efie, Mike has the best support. At any time if you think there's a problem, you can return it for free service.

OTOH, if you have the electronics experience, build the MAF mod for $10 and use that while you build or save up for an efie.

Rick

12-08-2008 06:16 PM
Zipstor Offline

Actually, the dole office has been generous with me and I have more cash to spend that makes this Mike's thing looks good to me in the end. I have seen on the web that there are some devices with 2 presets, one for the city, one for the highway, that sounds like even more control power.. Or is this kind of device only for MAP sensors?

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2008 06:45 PM by Zipstor.)
12-08-2008 06:44 PM
colchiro Offline

Click "Visit Our Store" at the top for info on Mike's efie (including pics). Note the basic versions are on the bottom of that page.

I've seen efie's with the city/highway switch, but it's hard enough to dial in the regular one, let alone one with a switch. Also, switching between settings will make a Scangauge's MPG gauge inaccurate. IMO, a city/highway switch is overkill, but that's my opinion.

Rick

12-08-2008 06:59 PM
thomasbala Offline

Zipstor Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:Thomas is correct, the o2 sensor has the last say.

My car is a 1995 Holden (GM) Commodore with a 3.8L V6 "ecotec". I'm running it as I speak with only the generator, as required on the waterboost manual, apparently to clean the inside of the engine, and I'm probably (surely) overfueling. At this stage I'm still confused on what to buy in order to complete my system and start saving. The waterboost people told me MAF/MAP sensor enhancer and O2 sensor enhancer would be equivalent, and they keep confusing me everytime I ask them questions.

My goal is to have full control of my [petrol:gas] ratio. After reading your response I might be thinking of buying a O2 sensor with a dial. I'm very short in cash these days and I have found this one here:

http://stores.homestead.com/hydrogengara...Detail.bok

Any thoughts?
Zip:
The Waterboost people obviously don't know which end of the horse eats which worries me a bit. The GM 3.8 L V6 is going to need at least 2 lpm to get any results from HHO; so, first check your output. If you're not getting at least 2 lpm you need to go back and rework your generator, or, add a second one. If you're handy with electronics and can solder like a pro you might try that hydrogen garage kit, but, it looked to me like it may be missing a few essentials. I didn't see any good "timer" like a 556 or military spec; just a plain old 555; no ports for test leads; way too many resistors; not enough caps. If your intent on building one get on U-Tube and look up ZFF [Zero Fossil Fuel]. Better yet why don't you just buy one. This site sells the best EFIE's there are. Tell you what Zip: I think it's best to spend your time tuning your HHO output and EFIE to get the best combination possible to get the best mpg for your vehicle. Building the electronics, cells, etc will wear you out, discourage you and worst of all "big oil" wins. The formula is simple: sufficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain. Once again you need at least 2 lpm HHO. Here's a simple EFIE that runs on a 1.5 volt battery that should get you started since you're short of cash. Good luck. Keep us posted. Whatever problems you run into there's someone on this board who knows how to solve whatever comes up.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  battery efie.pdf (Size: 23.57 KB / Downloads: 60)
12-08-2008 07:37 PM
colchiro Offline

Good advice Thomas.

Also, if you don't go for the deluxe efie, make sure you provide that functionality, i.e., you need to be able to plug your meter into the o2 wire coming into your efie and leaving to go to the ecu so you can measure your offset from the vehicle (where I assume you'd also want your efie).

Rick

12-08-2008 07:50 PM