where do you connect the MAP enhancer?

#1 to your cars regular MAP sensor???

Suggestions please.

Thanks,
12-07-2008 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: Map Sensor ENHANCER installation
ChicagoHHO Wrote:where do you connect the MAP enhancer?

Suggestions please.

Thanks,
There are 2 ways to connecf a MAP/MAF enhanser: (1) to control the voltage going into the MAP/MAF sensor, or (2) control the voltage from the MAF/MAP sensor to the ECU. First, find out what type of MAP/MAF you have; there are at least 2 types. Next, get a factory wiring schematic. A MAP/MAF enhancer is really just a potentiometer or a variable resistor. You won't get much mpg gain from a MAP/MAF enhancer because whatever you do is corrected by the O2 sensor(s). O2 sensors rule. An EFIE is your best bet, but first check to see if you have AFR's, wide band or narrow band O2 sensors. I prefer to run the MAF/MAP enhancer between the MAP/MAF sensor and the ECU. If you have a scan gauge you'll think you doubled your mpg when you hook up the MAP/MAF enhanser. It's a false reading; you correct it by going through the fill-up sequence in the scan gauge manual. Good Luck.
12-07-2008 02:47 PM
LarryClapp Offline

(12-07-2008 07:59 AM)ChicagoHHO Wrote:  where do you connect the MAP enhancer?

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Disconnect MAP, turn Ignition ON ( Don't try starting, it WON'T RUN while disconnected ) Check for voltage of 5 volts, when located you found Reference Voltage Input. Now keep positive probe on 5 volt and probe other wires with ground probe. When voltage reads again. Turn off key and bouble check for ground where ground wire was when you got voltage reading. You now know where the ground is. Remaining wire or connection is signal wire to ECU.
I tried using Water4Gas Map Sensor Enhancer, didn't work to good for me. That one lowers the voltage to ECU, am now using the one that changes Reference Voltage to MAP Sensor. Seems to be the better choice so far.Confused
03-07-2009 06:01 PM
thomasbala Offline

(03-07-2009 06:01 PM)LarryClapp Wrote:  

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Disconnect MAP, turn Ignition ON ( Don't try starting, it WON'T RUN while disconnected ) Check for voltage of 5 volts, when located you found Reference Voltage Input. Now keep positive probe on 5 volt and probe other wires with ground probe. When voltage reads again. Turn off key and bouble check for ground where ground wire was when you got voltage reading. You now know where the ground is. Remaining wire or connection is signal wire to ECU.
I tried using Water4Gas Map Sensor Enhancer, didn't work to good for me. That one lowers the voltage to ECU, am now using the one that changes Reference Voltage to MAP Sensor. Seems to be the better choice so far.Confused

Larry:
Good procedure. What else are you using, i.e. EFIE. AIT resistor, etc. What kind of mpg improvement are you getting?
03-07-2009 07:24 PM
LarryClapp Offline

(03-07-2009 07:24 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Larry:
Good procedure. What else are you using, i.e. EFIE. AIT resistor, etc. What kind of mpg improvement are you getting?

About all, I put 33k resistors across the AIT, ECT. I built the EIFE that is shown in the open source files, or the electronical version in the Water4Gas books. Right now have increased mpg by 20% combined hwy/city. This is with Winter gas and temps. It does much better in Summer. Have reached 50.25 mpg, one time. That is like close to 90% improvement.
03-21-2009 03:27 PM
thomasbala Offline

(03-21-2009 03:27 PM)LarryClapp Wrote:  
(03-07-2009 07:24 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Larry:

About all, I put 33k resistors across the AIT, ECT. I built the EIFE that is shown in the open source files, or the electronical version in the Water4Gas books. Right now have increased mpg by 20% combined hwy/city. This is with Winter gas and temps. It does much better in Summer. Have reached 50.25 mpg, one time. That is like close to 90% improvement.

Larry:
Congradulations on your mpg gain but more so on your DIY proficiency. Electronics are no longer knowing how to solder, NPN vs. PNP vs. MOSFET transistors. If you haven't already, please post a "play by play' post on the "Results" forum so hopefully, we can all learn from your experience; really, your expertise.
03-21-2009 07:33 PM