Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Map sensor adjustments on Diesals?
Bwanar Offline

Map sensor adjustments on Diesals?
OK...got my map sensor installed on my truck. The enhancer seems to be operating properly but doesn't seem to effect the idle. Normally reading @ .6. I can adjust it down to 0 and it doesn't change the idle at all. Anyone know if this is just a charactoristic of diesels? FYI this is a 1999 F250 w/7.3 TD. Thanks in advance for your help!
07-14-2008 07:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: Map sensor adjustments on Diesals?
Bwanar Wrote:OK...got my map sensor installed on my truck.

Just curious, why did you install a MAP sensor on your diesel? In hope of better mileage with a Hydrogen system? I personally have not installed a system on a diesel, but from what I hear no sensor mods are necessary, not even an EFIE.

Or do you just want to use it to read your boost?

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
07-14-2008 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bwanar Offline

To use with my HHO system. My truck has a MAP sensor and believe it is mandatory (if that is the case) to be able to adjust it when installing an HHO system or you could actually hurt your mileage.

AlexR Wrote:
Bwanar Wrote:OK...got my map sensor installed on my truck.

Just curious, why did you install a MAP sensor on your diesel? In hope of better mileage with a Hydrogen system? I personally have not installed a system on a diesel, but from what I hear no sensor mods are necessary, not even an EFIE.

Or do you just want to use it to read your boost?
07-14-2008 12:09 PM
AlexR Offline

Bwanar Wrote:To use with my HHO system. My truck has a MAP sensor and believe it is mandatory

I really don't think it is mandatory. I'd try it without first, the worst that can happen is that your mileage goes down and you can tell me I was wrong.

Diesel fuel systems work differently than gas engines, A diesel has no throttle plate, the fuel is regulated by the gas pedal(or diesel pedal) unlike a gas engine where the gas pedal primarily controls the air into the engine.

I have no doubt your engine has a MAP sensor on it, it just may not control fuel it probably monitors boost pressure.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
07-14-2008 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bwanar Offline

Well....it's in there now. I'll leave it off until I see a change in the readings from normal and just turn the HHO loose! Oh well...live and learn.

AlexR Wrote:
Bwanar Wrote:To use with my HHO system. My truck has a MAP sensor and believe it is mandatory

I really don't think it is mandatory. I'd try it without first, the worst that can happen is that your mileage goes down and you can tell me I was wrong.

Diesel fuel systems work differently than gas engines, A diesel has no throttle plate, the fuel is regulated by the gas pedal(or diesel pedal) unlike a gas engine where the gas pedal primarily controls the air into the engine.

I have no doubt your engine has a MAP sensor on it, it just may not control fuel it probably monitors boost pressure.
07-15-2008 05:34 AM
scogop Offline

Bwanar Wrote:OK...got my map sensor installed on my truck. The enhancer seems to be operating properly but doesn't seem to effect the idle. Normally reading @ .6. I can adjust it down to 0 and it doesn't change the idle at all. Anyone know if this is just a charactoristic of diesels? FYI this is a 1999 F250 w/7.3 TD. Thanks in advance for your help!
Diesels do not have map sensors. Diesels dont generate vacuum so they cant have a map sensor. Thats why diesels have vacuum pumps for the brake booster, and other things on the vehical that need vacuum. Stevej
07-22-2008 12:47 PM
AlexR Offline

Actually I believe his engine doeas have a MAP sensor. the computer must have some way to monitor boost to know how much air is going into the engine. It probably monitors the boost sytem for problems too, stuck wastegates, over boost
, etc.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
07-22-2008 05:10 PM