Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marine Engine
sickleave Offline

Marine Engine
Need to figure out size to start with on a pair of Marine engines
Engines are 318's, and I get a little about 1.25 mile to a gallon,
with the Engines running at around 2100 to 2300 RPM.
I may have to build something in a 5 gallon bucket with lid.
Good news is I have no polution gear other that a hose from rocker covers to intake of backfire arestor (on top of carbs).
I have 2 new Edlebrocks carbs. I ran water injection for one season and got some good results I am thinking I could do better with a
Hydrogen Generator. I do not care even if I have to upgrade to a bigger Alternator (current ones are 65 amps each).
Note unlike car alternators these are made to run at this amperage
constantly if needed. I guess I could start smaller and see what happens. I would mount the generators above deck not in engine
compartment and every thing would have to be marine grade as possible. Not even sure if I can have a Hybread Boat
Carbs have a place to drill out to put crankcase hose so they do not
plug up plates on intake (back fire arestor)
sickleave (Bob)
06-20-2008 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grisen Offline

RE: Marine Engine
sickleave Wrote:Need to figure out size to start with on a pair of Marine engines
Engines are 318's, and I get a little about 1.25 mile to a gallon,
with the Engines running at around 2100 to 2300 RPM.
I may have to build something in a 5 gallon bucket with lid.
Good news is I have no polution gear other that a hose from rocker covers to intake of backfire arestor (on top of carbs).
I have 2 new Edlebrocks carbs. I ran water injection for one season and got some good results I am thinking I could do better with a
Hydrogen Generator. I do not care even if I have to upgrade to a bigger Alternator (current ones are 65 amps each).
Note unlike car alternators these are made to run at this amperage
constantly if needed. I guess I could start smaller and see what happens. I would mount the generators above deck not in engine
compartment and every thing would have to be marine grade as possible. Not even sure if I can have a Hybread Boat
Carbs have a place to drill out to put crankcase hose so they do not
plug up plates on intake (back fire arestor)
sickleave (Bob)

Hi bob-

Assuming by 316's you mean 316 cubic inches. With that kind of fuel consumption, you could try putting some car application generators in series-- like two Smack units per engine wired in series (+ to -) from the top of the cells and the hoses going to a barbed T. If you run at 20-25 amps per engine, you should get good gas production from the (newer model) Smacks. It's not expensive to try this route.

The question of boats and various types of engines (gas/diesel, inboard, outboard) is HUGE in our area (Mobile, Alabama) and any other seaboard locations in the country. With the mileage on your engines, I bet you are paying in the $$$ thousands for each fill. We have shrimpers in this area who go out and trawl, etc. Well thought through HHO applications could help them make it in tough financial times, just like for truckers.

Also pleasure boaters, charter fishing and tour boats, all need fuel economy gains to make it worthwhile.

I'd like to learn more from anyone working on marine and boat applications
07-13-2008 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply