Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marine Engine
Southerndream Offline

Marine Engine
I am considering converting my gas motors in my boat to use Propane. CNG or Hydrogen. I have big block 454's two of them (gas Hogs)
I am wondering has anyone done a comparison on the fuel cost of gasoline verses one of the other gas's?

Also what would the conversion kit cost? I am sure I can do it myself.
I have gas sniffers that shut everything down if gas is present and I would think the natural and liquid petroleum cases would actually be safer. Any Thoughts

How big of tank would I need to equal the 35 gallons of Gasoline I hold?
08-16-2013 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Southerndream Offline

RE: Marine Engine
How can I compare the cost to operate it does not have to be on a boat I am curious on converting the 454 gas engines. Has anyone converted a big block gas engine? land or sea
08-17-2013 04:36 AM
LittleGreenDot Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Marine Engine
We don't have anyone running on straight hydrogen but here is a bit of info from some commercial marine engine owners in Australia.

"Fishing boats
First, Mike Kehrli has been a great  help in making this system perform properly. He is a man of the highest integrity and has tremendous back up and support of his product.
System is working well on the main motor 475 hp Fiat I have obtained 30 to 35% I would recommend to fit a flow scan fuel meter to get best results over varying engine revs.
Aux is 125 hp fiat on 100 kva I have had varying results on this motor from 15 to 20 % this was due to gas leakage through solenoids on both motors, I used 24 volt Danfross refrigeration solenoids and I don’t recommend them, plus aux is in need of rebuild.
We fitted a hydrogen gas detector in engine room and above hho cell if all fittings are tight you will have no problems, easy to install and maintain. I know you will achieve a benefit in using  Mike’s system.
Regards,
Keith (fishing boats owner from Australia)
Update:
Good news so far PWM has done 175hrs and am back to 35%.  This PWM is working different to the other one. The old unit could never get duty cycle above 35%. Didn’t matter what strength brew I had always foamed mixture, and unit run warm to hot. The new unit is cool max temp 30deg C   no foaming what so ever achieving duty cycle where it needs to be, I think you clicked it this time. We will be working for a further 3 weeks then heading back to Cairns. Restarting in April. Going to do some other refinements on installation and will keep you posted. 6.8 amps on the gen set is the required to achieve 35% so far.
Regards,  Keith & Jo"
08-21-2013 10:19 AM