Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Math
w1rkw Offline

Math
I'm not sure where to post this subject. Moderators, you can move this to where ever you think it fits best if necessary.

Anyone have any math or know where some math exists that describes the relationship between gas output and plate configuration i.e. surface area, voltage, current, etc. It would be nice to ballpark a configuration and then tweak it thus eliminating lots of trial and error. I know there are probably many other factors to consider besides those mentioned.

The reason I ask, I'm confused on plate size and the voltage and current relationship and series vs. parallel. It would seem to me that increasing the plate area would be akin to having a parallel arrangement thus increasing current draw. On the other hand I would imagine increased plate area with a fixed current draw at some voltage would produce more gas. Then at the same token having a true series arrangement where 2 volts are across each plate for a given current reduces heat produced. Where did the 2 volts per plate come from. 2 volts seems arbitrary to me. Why not 1.83volts, 1.26v or whatever. How does one balance these various parameters to get an optimum output without over amping or boiling? Is there a point of no return on plate size? There must be some math that exists.

Bob
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2008 12:29 PM by w1rkw.)
07-10-2008 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CheezWiz Offline

RE: Math
1.2 volts is the minimum voltage to break apart water. After that, the current flow is what determines how many molecules are split. To get more current means either higher voltage or lower resistance of the electrolyte. The larger the surface area, the greater the number of electrons exposed to do work...

Just Google "electrolysis of water" and you will find all the info you need.

The math is physics and not very easy to comprehend... Even for a physics major...
07-10-2008 11:42 AM
texasdanml430 Offline

RE: Math
(w1rkw de w5xz)
hello

there are three yahoo groups that have tons of information about
this stuff. they are 'watercar', 'hydroxy', and 'hydrogenoxygengasfromwater'. sign up. you can read for days...

one of the guru's, bob boyce, says 250 ma per square inch is a peak value for efficiency.

there is lots of stuff that indicates around 2 v. per plate pair is all thats needed to make gas; any more just seems to heat the water.

I'm still trying to sort this out. more current=more gas. more electrolyte=more current. more plate area=more gas.

personally, i'm looking for a design that only needs about 10 amps, with decent gas production that's safe, compact, inexpensive, simple, cool (themally), easily maintained. then, i'll start building.

about like a 3 el 20m yagi at 70' (ha!); or a pair of 813's!

73 dan
07-10-2008 02:26 PM