Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Measuring Amp load?
Gomelesose Offline

Measuring Amp load?
First, I would like to say that this is a cool place to hang out. I have learned tons from the hours that I have spent reading. I predict that this board will be huge someday.

I am in the process of building my first HHO cell. I have got it together and functioning (producing gas) but there are some different cell configurations that I want to try before I put it in the vehicle. Before I try any other configurations, I need to be able to measure the amps being drawn of off my battery relative to the gas output so I can mess around with making it as effcient as possible.

Maybe this is simple for you guys, but I cannot figure out how to measure the amps. I know that the amps need to be measured in units bigger than Ma (milliamps) and u (microamps) which are common units found on most multimeters. I checked 7 hardware, auto, and tool stores, but found nothing that would measure over 10 full amps DC.

How do you guys do it? Do I just need a special meter that measures in full amps up to 100 amps or so, or is there a way to do it with the common meters found in the stores.

I have a really simple circut. 1 twelve volt car battery, 2 wires, and 1 electrolyzer.

Assuming I have the proper tester, how do I measure the amp draw when the circut is closed and operating? The way I understood it should work was that I just open the circut and insert the tester using the two leads to complete the circut again and then the current will flow through the tester and I will get a reading.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2008 05:27 PM by Gomelesose.)
05-26-2008 05:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skiers4ever Offline

RE: Measuring Amp load?
Hi Gomelesose, Congrats on building your first HHO! I didn't have that talent so I bought one pre-built. I am by no means an expert (I installed my unit 5 days ago) but all my extensive prior research stated that there should be a 30 amp fuse between the battery and the cell. NAPA sells something called a FUSE BUDDY that you can plug in to the fuse socket and measure the amps. I'm sure there are other ways but I've found that's the best way. All the best, John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
05-26-2008 05:49 PM
colchiro Offline

Here's a simple and inexpensive way to measure your current:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=20]

Notice the red power wire coming from my battery thru a fuse and a relay thru a cheap ammeter to the cell. I simply cut the wire and soldered spade lugs onto the wires and connected them to the meter. FWIW, this is a 50 amp, but a 30 amp would be better IMO. Any auto parts store should have a meter like this. Be careful the terminals on the back are protected so they don't contact ground.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 05:57 PM
Atfab Offline

There are meters that read higher amps. Most are some what more expensive. Some have a "clamp" you place around the wire to use it.

Make sure that it reads DC (direct current, like in your car) not just AC (like in your house) Many don't do DC.

Price alone does not get higher amp range. My $225 Fluke only goes to 10 amps. But it is very accurate and reliable.

Another way is to buy an ameter/shunt combination. The shunt is placed in series with your power lead and uses two smaller, low current wires that connect to the meter itself, but it requires a sometimes difficult mounting. This one comes as a set.

Jameco Electronics
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores...tId=316507

$10.99 + shipping

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
05-26-2008 06:42 PM
colchiro Offline

Why do you need to measure 100 amps? Unless you're driving a 16 wheeler with a sleeper your alternator is probably rated 100 amps or less and you need most of that to power your car. FWIW, in most cases, anything over 25-30 amps is probably too much hho or an inefficient cell.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 06:51 PM
Gomelesose Offline

colchiro Wrote:Why do you need to measure 100 amps? Unless you're driving a 16 wheeler with a sleeper your alternator is probably rated 100 amps or less and you need most of that to power your car. FWIW, in most cases, anything over 25-30 amps is probably too much hho or an inefficient cell.

I do not really need 100 amp meter. I imagine that the most I will need is 30. Even then, It would be quite a load. I just said 100 because if it will measure 100, then it will certainly measure 30 or less.

Thank you all for your very prompt and helpful answers. This place is great!

I think that I may do what Colchiro suggested and put in a little ammeter. I actually passed one on shelf and thought, "that does not look accurate enough". Little did I know that finding a multimeter with the functions that I need would be so difficult. Thanks for the pic, it is worth a thousand words.

I was actually thinking about this.

Would this work as is or would I need to back to school to know how to install it? Maybe it is simple as connecting a couple of wires. What do you guys think? It might work good on the testing bench and also work well installed in the vehicle. And how can anybody go wrong with that cool backlight?Laugh
05-26-2008 07:47 PM
syncromon Offline

If that meter on eBay works, it would be cool! I am using the automotive type guages, Im only drawing about 5 amps when my cell is cold, on a 60 amp guage its hard to even tell if the needle moves when I turn on the cell...I tried a 30 amp guage and it is much easier to read and more accurately shows the small changes...if you are going to use the automotive style gauage with the needle, I would not recommend a 100 amp, or even 60 amp guage...but if that digital one looks like it would be perfect (if it works).

[
05-27-2008 08:09 AM
colchiro Offline

G. I like that meter. Like you said, mine isn't too accurate. It's difficult to tell 15 amps from 10 and the #10 wire kept me from running the meter in the vehicle. My only problem I have with your digital ammeter is where to put the case in the vehicle. If it was round I could find a spot.

Rick

05-27-2008 02:02 PM
Zeek Offline

These work well and are reasonable.... here
2nd one from the bottom is the one I use
First class shipping is $3.36, priority shipping is $5.70

Regards
Zeek
05-27-2008 06:44 PM
Atfab Offline

I was actually thinking about this.

Would this work as is or would I need to back to school to know how to install it? Maybe it is simple as connecting a couple of wires. What do you guys think? It might work good on the testing bench and also work well installed in the vehicle. And how can anybody go wrong with that cool backlight.

Gomelesose
Yes this meter will work but you need a shunt for it. They state this but they don't sell one.

Zeek, which one on the page?

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
05-28-2008 09:30 AM