Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Misc. questions, need some help!
JVParkour Offline

Misc. questions, need some help!
Hey,

Before I start I'll give a little backgroud. I am 18, graduated high school. Currently planning to make my first cell to put in a 1999 buick lesabre. I have some mechanical knowledge, slight electrical, but great problem solving. What I don't know I am trying to learn!

This is a brief outline of what I know, correct me if I am wrong please: Sanded plates better than polished, series cells better than 1 cell, 3mm optimal plate distance, don't use salt, rainwater, tap water ect, more gas is not always better, you just need to find the engines sweet spot?

My Design:
I currently have enought stainless steel plate to make 12, 2.5 inch X 5 inch plates. I plan on having 4 pvc tubes: 1 bubbler, 3 cell tubes. In each tube I would have 4 plates total. I would have 2 plates 3mm apart on one side of the PVC, and 2 plates on the other side, (making a 2 cell design...sort of like how smack spaced his(i may be wrong)) The 3 PVC tubes containing cells would be wired in a series...which if i understand correctly increases productivity and decreases heat. I would have a breaker, relay, ect. I have plently of space in my engine, I could install 7 tubes if I wanted to, would that be the best?

Now this is my idea, and I am hoping it is on the right track, I just need some help figuring out what the optimal amount of power would be to put through a system like this. 10 amps, 15 amps, 20? Or how do I figure out what would be best for me?

What would be the best chemical to put in the water? I have heard that potassium hydroxide is a very efficient electrolyte, but I have also heard that a combination of baking soda, vinegar, and alcohol is also effective? Which is recommended?

Thanks for helping a newcomer find the answer to some questions!
Jacob
07-05-2008 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baracuda Offline

RE: Misc. questions, need some help!
JV,
For an 18 year old high school graduate, you are well versed. And have obviously done your research.

I'm new to the HHO thing too so I can't really give you rock solid answers to your questions. However it sounds like you have a great plan to get you going. With the extra wiggle room you say you have under the hood. I'd say go for it as you have outlined. If you want to add more cells later you can.

I don't think the solution is all that important at this time for you and I wouldn't worry about it too much ( for now ). Build your generator and then you can try different solutions on the bench before you install it. You will definetly need an amp meter, and a multi meter to take electrical readings. Keep in mind, if you use a battery charger for bench test it probably only puts out 12volts ( not 14 like your alternator ) and won't be able to sustain high amperage for very long, unless you have a really nice charger !

While you're bench testeing you try to find the combination that produces the most gas for the least amount of work ie: Amps. Once you've found that combination, then you can work on getting the sweet spot for your engine by adjusing your electrolyte solution. I don't think you're gonna want to run your generator any higher than 18amps or so.

Hopefully you find the proper combination of generator, electrolyte solution and the sweet spot under 10amps. That would be killa !!

Best of luck to ya'

You can't skin a fish before you catch it !
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2008 04:02 PM by baracuda.)
07-05-2008 04:00 PM
hbhall Offline

sounds good but 0ne cell is plenty to start with keep amps at around 10 amps hot. sanded plates help a lot to make more hyd. baking soda works as good as any that I,ve found so far. make sure to wrap oysgen senser with tin foil. I found out that to raise oysgen senser out a couple of inches help. I then on a four wire senser I cut the black wire & spiced in a 10 ohm resister, gained 15 mile,s per gallon.
Good luck
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2008 03:38 AM by hbhall.)
07-06-2008 03:30 AM
JVParkour Offline

Thanks for the help baracuda!!!

Colchiro,qsi guy, and a few others, I know you are very knowledgeable, I would really appreciate some more input!

Thanks!
Jacob
07-06-2008 06:32 PM