Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Design
Bassman Offline

My Design
I've only been at this for about 3 months but I spent a couple of months before that reading everything that I could find on the subject.
I have constructed a cell using a lot of the Smack's theory and some of my own. I am using 14 stainless plates, measuring 2 3/4" X 3 1/2" X 1/8" and installed them in a 4" pvc tube. It is very compact because I installed in a Chev Avon. There isn't a lot of room. It will hold about 1 1/2qts of solution. I have been using about 1 1/2tps of Caustic Soda granules. It has increased my mileage according to my Scangauge but I can't give you a true number as of yet because of constant changes to the unit.
It runs at about 4 amps on startup and today I decided that I need to see what it will do on an extended time. After 2 hours, it got up to 6 1/2 amps, but it was boiling. I removed it and wrapped the plates and cut back my solution to 1/2tps. The starting current is now 1.5 amps and after 2 hours it increased to 2 amps. But it is real cool. The output looks good but I haven't measured it as of yet. That will come later after I have figured out the solution mix and how hot that it gets.
The design of my plates is similar to Smacks but arranged as
+- -+ +- -+ +- -+ +- . The voltage is applied to each end only. There is a nut connecting the negative plates together and also a nut connecting the positive plates together on a nylon allthread rod. I used a nylon washer, approximately 1/16" thick, between the positive and negative plates. I have a voltage drop across each pair of plates of about 1.75 volts to 1.85 volts.
I am in the process of building a PWM to limit the current so that I may run a stronger solution. My idea to to adjust the current for the maximum amount of out put and stay around 150 degrees.
If you have any other thoughts on this, please reply. I'll try and include a picture the next time that I open it up.
11-04-2008 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply