Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My HHO cell test results
Eagermaster Offline

Question My HHO cell test results
I built my 1st HHO cell lately, my cell arrangement was +nnnn-nnnn+,
using SS316L, 1.5mm Thk, 4"X6" . Gaps between plates are 2mm apart as i use teflon washer as my spacer. My connection was direct from the car battery positive to a 20A fuse then the amp meter then to my both + cell. Using a container filled up with 4.5L pure tap water(no other solutions was added). 1st test results- i get my car engine started, connect both + & - aligator clamp to my batt, watching the bubble from the plates, just little fine bubbles was created, running amp at only 0.2A, water temperature is about 25C. As I wait and observed for 15 mins, running Amp still at 0.2A and no improvement at all. I stop the test and reduce the plates by removing 2 nuetral plate at each side (total 4 plates removed) +nn-nn+. Then I start my 2nd test, I get the same results as the 1st test, not much bubbles was generated from the cell and ampage was running below 1A (still using the same water) I waiting to see the ampage increase, it took me 30mins to increase to 1A then another 30mins slowly incerease to 1.9A. The result was not good at all. I cant measure the HHO output as the bubble was not much generated. I wonder whats wrong with my design and I saw from youtube once the power connected, lots of bubbles was generated and some are running at 10A-20A. I wonder how can I run my HHO with max 20A ? How can I start my HHO cell with 10A ? Do i have to wait until it increases slowly or anyone could advised me what wrong with my design. Too much water or too many plates ? Does it effect my ampage ? Thanks in advance.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2008 07:17 PM by Eagermaster.)
11-30-2008 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MadScientist Offline

RE: My HHO cell test results
Hydrogen Junkie is right, be sure to use DISTILLED WATER (not tap water) with whatever electrolyte you chose to use.
11-30-2008 08:30 PM
Eagermaster Offline

Thanks for your quick response Big Grin .Did you come across any device that could use to control and stabilize the operation ampage say 10A or 20A max. BTW, what PWM are for ? Thanks & appreciate.
11-30-2008 10:31 PM
joe38socalif Offline

Eagermaster Wrote:Thanks for your quick response Big Grin .Did you come across any device that could use to control and stabilize the operation ampage say 10A or 20A max. BTW, what PWM are for ? Thanks & appreciate.

a PWM will control the amps, you can find them on ebay for around 30.00 bucks

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
11-30-2008 11:05 PM
Eagermaster Offline

a PWM will control the amps, you can find them on ebay for around 30.00 bucks
[/quote]

Good info. Thanks
12-01-2008 12:24 AM
Gary Offline

Amps are controlled by the plate spacing (yours is fine), strength of the electrolyte (mainly), and number of neutrals. Your first configuration was the best four efficiency.
A PWM is not necessarily for controlling the amps, but to halve the amperage by pulsing the voltage rather than sending it straight in constantly. It will not increase output, but rather, match your output with less amps.
12-01-2008 01:16 AM
tohmahak Offline

Yo Eagermaster,
all you gotta do to get more hho is add some NaOH or KOH or even baking soda if you cant get any of the two others.
In my opinion KOH is best but i've heard or read about a mix of KOH NaOH that should be the best ever!... Anyways amp is controlled by the qty of electrolyte you put into the water.
01-14-2009 02:24 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Do you know where to find information on mixing these electrolytes?

(01-14-2009 02:24 PM)tohmahak Wrote:  Yo Eagermaster,
all you gotta do to get more hho is add some NaOH or KOH or even baking soda if you cant get any of the two others.
In my opinion KOH is best but i've heard or read about a mix of KOH NaOH that should be the best ever!... Anyways amp is controlled by the qty of electrolyte you put into the water.
01-17-2009 06:56 PM
thomasbala Offline

(12-01-2008 12:24 AM)Eagermaster Wrote:  a PWM will control the amps, you can find them on ebay for around 30.00 bucks

Good info. Thanks
[/quote]
The $30.00 PWM's on ebay will work but i've had too many of them get so hot the solder melts off of them. There's a 60 amp PWM on ebay that has a detached pot. with a detached pot you can mount the pot with an ammeter in the cabin and adjust, monitor, and recognize problems on the fly. You get what you pay for. Spend an extra $20.00 and get the 60 amp model with detached pot.
01-17-2009 07:19 PM
towjoe42 Offline

(01-17-2009 06:56 PM)cmac0351 Wrote:  Do you know where to find information on mixing these electrolytes?

(01-14-2009 02:24 PM)tohmahak Wrote:  Yo Eagermaster,

My first attempt was a failure, but you cant succeed without failing along the way.
I used baking Soda for the Electrolyte in Distilled water. My HHO canister was 10" water filter housing.
I mixed 4 teaspoons of Baking Soda with the water. I also did not have a fuse or Ampmeter installed. The Gas produced was bubbling like crazy and smoothed out my Diesel Motor.
About two hours later I smelled smoke and switched off my unit from the cab and pulled over to look under the hood.
The plastic canister had melted down with a large hole in it.
I was told later by at least two sources that I should only use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda at the most.
They said too much Baking Soda will cause way too much amps and heat.

1982 Mercedes Turbo Diesel, Automatic.
unit is:Water Filter Housing, 10"X4".
Distilled water with 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda.
Plates: Stainless Steel Wire
wound around two plastic plates.
Continuous Duty Solinoid, 30Amp
inline fuse. On/of Switch with Indicator Light.
01-17-2009 09:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply