Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My HHO generator experience
Rags Offline

RE: My HHO generator experience
Thanks everyone for the gr8 info and suggestions, I will apply them as best as I can. I have a Flash Killer, and a check valve on the system now, I had the bubbler, but for some reason the water get sucked out back into the generator, and/or I get water in the feed tube going to the air intake housing.

I though I was using proper ss as an article I read indicated that if I checked the ss with a magnet and it didn't stick then it was good to use. I have looked at the generator at water4gas, with the coils but that just didn't look like it would produce a whole lot of HHO.

Being that I had to go to a 3" pipe for the generator it would be hard to make a "Joe Cell" as it would not fit inside the pipe. The wall switch plates just fit inside and they are about 2" wide. Since I reduced the amount of soda in the water the amps have gone down a lot. I know the the lower the amps used the better, but don't really know how many amps is needed to create enough HHO to be of value.

I have read where some are pulling anywhere from 10 to 30 amps. I know from experience that anything near 30 amps is way too much. Right now I am pulling between 5 and 6 amps and the generator has remained cool to the touch, and the water has remained full. (The wife thinks I am obcessed sp) but that is OK I tell her it keeps me out of the bars, and from chasing women. LOL.\

By the way I bought the info from Automotive Hobbiest, now if I were only smart enough to understand it. I found the 02 sensor that is mounted on the manifold, and the wires in the diagram are color coded, so that might help. It looks like this sensor only has two wires going to it. The other wires in the harness and plug must be for the TRAC control. I would really like to attach my power line for the generator to a line that turns off with the key, but could still use the toggle switch to turn it off when the car is running. I have one of those test light that you clip to the body of the car and the other end has a point on it. Is ok to use this to find a wire that has power only when the ignition is on?

Again thanks to all for the gr8 help.
Rags
04-05-2008 05:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DragonWhip Offline

Rags Wrote:Thanks everyone for the gr8 info and suggestions, I will apply them as best as I can. I have a Flash Killer, and a check valve on the system now, I had the bubbler, but for some reason the water get sucked out back into the generator, and/or I get water in the feed tube going to the air intake housing.

I though I was using proper ss as an article I read indicated that if I checked the ss with a magnet and it didn't stick then it was good to use. I have looked at the generator at water4gas, with the coils but that just didn't look like it would produce a whole lot of HHO.

Being that I had to go to a 3" pipe for the generator it would be hard to make a "Joe Cell" as it would not fit inside the pipe. The wall switch plates just fit inside and they are about 2" wide. Since I reduced the amount of soda in the water the amps have gone down a lot. I know the the lower the amps used the better, but don't really know how many amps is needed to create enough HHO. LOL.
By the way I bought the info from Automotive Hobbiest, now if I were only smart enough to understand it. I found the 02 sensor that is mounted on the manifold, and the wires in the diagram are color coded, so that might help. It looks like this sensor only has two wires going to it. The other wires in the harness and plug must be for the TRAC control. I would really like to attach my power line for the generator to a line that turns off with the key, but could still use the toggle switch to turn it off when the car is running. I have one of those test light that you clip to the body of the car and the other end has a point on it. Is ok to use this to find a wire that has power only when the ignition is on?

Again thanks to all for the gr8 help.
Rags

Find your fuse box, then find an empty slot that is marked switched or accessories and that will work with you ignition. I personally would not use the unit without a switched or accessory connection. It's to easy to be in a hurry or having a brain fart and forgeting to turn off the unit and boom. SAFETY first. Later.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2008 06:55 AM by DragonWhip.)
04-05-2008 06:54 AM
mike Offline

We have a post on here somewhere about someone doing that very thing, and he blew the head off his engine! His girlfriend wasn't very happy about the experience either! He'd left it on for hours.

Anyway, the recommendation of DragonWhip is the correct way to do it. You need to find a switched circuit to use, and you can't put your electrolyzer on another circuit as it draws too much juice. It needs it's own circuit. You CAN, however, find a switched circuit with your test light, and then power a relay that then powers your HHO unit. Just make sure your unit has a fuse or a circuit breaker of it's own so if the water goes low, and it starts drawing more and more power, it has a safety shutoff.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-05-2008 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

I understand what you are saying, and I would dearly like to do just that, however I have no knowledge of how to even go about finding a switch circuit, let alone what it is. I guess the best thing for me to do is go to my mechanic and have him find one for me a set it up. I just got back from driving about 45 miles and my amp gauage never moved off 6 amps. When I got back home I checked the generator, it was warm but not hot, still full and the positive connector was not even warm, in fact it felt cool. I also reinstalled the bubbler, and configured it a little different. There was no water in the tubbing at all. But I guess I had better go back out an undo my connection that I did to put the generator on a line that turned of with the key. The line I put it on is a 15 amp and I thought if I put a 10 amp in the generator line that would protect the 15 amp line. I guess that is wrong thinking. I have an exterior tube on the generator that tells me how much water is there at a glance. Is it unwise to put food coloring in the water so the level can be seen easier in the exterior tube for telling how much water is there?

I am beginning to think I am getting in deeper than I have the knowledge for. I am sure you fellows have more important things to do than babysit a novice. Sometime I get involved in things that are way beyond my smarts, and I get into trouble.

I do appreciate the assistance that I am getting here.

Rags
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2008 12:02 PM by Rags.)
04-05-2008 11:59 AM
mike Offline

Look, it's not beyond your smarts and you're not in too deep. You just have to read up and learn as you go. I strongly recommend getting a Haynes manual for your car if you don't have one already. In there you'll be able to find the location of your fuse box, and also should be able to find an unused circuit that you can use.

A switched circuit, just means a circuit that turns on and off with your car key. However, the best set up is to find your oil pressure switch, and run a relay off of that to turn your HHO on and off. This is safest because the oil pressure switch is only activated when the engine is running and producing oil pressure. If you don't understand relays well, google it. There's some excellent articles on how they work. Spending some extra time to make sure that your HHO is safe is well worth it.

I don't know about the food coloring in the water. I know they work best with distilled water. I don't know if that small amount of impurity would adversely affect gas production or not. Hey! Try it. And let us know. It is a handy idea.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-05-2008 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

Mike
I am trying to figure out how to wire a relay switch to my generator and I am a bit confused. I will try and explain how I think it should be and then someone can tell me where I am wrong. The relay has (5) Terminals (30), (87a), (87), (86), and (85). I was able to find a wiring guide and terminal numbers and where each wire should go. Now we have the battery with (+) and (-), the generator with (+) and (-) switch with (ON) and (OFF). If I read the connection right it goes as follows. (30 to + on Battery with fuse) (86 to + on generator) (85 ground on battery or chassie) (87 to OFF on Switch) (87a to ON, on Switch) Do I have it correct? Also I noticed there is something called a relay box, the relay plugs into should I get one of those, and does this take the place of finding the oil pressure switch?

Right now the way it is wired is the + from the battery with fuse to one of the terminals of the switch, the other terminal goes to the + of the generator, and the - of the generator goes to the chassie. I hope I don't have it all messed up.
Thanks
Rags
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2008 04:17 PM by Rags.)
04-05-2008 04:14 PM
mike Offline

Sorry Rags, I can't really follow that as a narrative. However, you can see a simplified relay hook up drawn by qsiguy here. Scan down about 3/4 of the way down that page, and you'll see the diagram. That'll be a good starting point for you.

That plan has the one weakness that if you turn on the key, but don't run the motor, you'll still be creating gas. If you listen to your radio for about an hour, things could get exciting when you start up again!

But lots of guys use a configuration just like this, and it's work with that proviso.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-05-2008 06:13 PM
Rags Offline

OK I understand everything in the diagram except the terminal #86. That has a 5A fuse and would go to the switch I have inside the car, I understand it going to the switch, but to which terminal ON or OFF? How does the toggle switch work with just one wire on it? The diagram doesn't show where the wire going from the toggle switch inside the car goes. Terminal 87a in the diagram is not being used. I don't understand how the toggle switch works with only one wire going to it. The way it is now, my 30A line goes from the battery to the toggle switch, and from there to the generator. So if I take the line that I had connected to the battery and connect it to terminal 86, where does the end that connected to the + side of the generator go? I hope I stated this correctly.
Rags
04-06-2008 04:46 AM
DragonWhip Offline

Rags Wrote:OK I understand everything in the diagram except the terminal #86. That has a 5A fuse and would go to the switch I have inside the car, I understand it going to the switch, but to which terminal ON or OFF? How does the toggle switch work with just one wire on it? The diagram doesn't show where the wire going from the toggle switch inside the car goes. Terminal 87a in the diagram is not being used. I don't understand how the toggle switch works with only one wire going to it. The way it is now, my 30A line goes from the battery to the toggle switch, and from there to the generator. So if I take the line that I had connected to the battery and connect it to terminal 86, where does the end that connected to the + side of the generator go? I hope I stated this correctly.
Rags

Hey Rags, The toggle switch wire completes a circuit, it is not totally a power supply by itself. The 3 lines that look like a upside down pyramid in the schematic are ground connections to any frame part or the battery - terminal. The power # whatever switched is + and when the toggle switch is on it completes the circuit and when off interrupts the circuit breaking the flow of electricity. I still have a problem with some of the electrical jargon, so I tried to explain in a manner I would understand. As my friends say this isn't rocket science but it might as well be to me sometimes. Good Luck. Later.
04-06-2008 07:57 AM
colchiro Offline

The wire that used to go to your generator now goes to pin 86 of the relay. Pin 85 of the relay connects to the frame of your vehicle (relay) and ends up at the battery ground, completing the circuit. These are indicated by the 4 horizontal lines on the diagram.

[Image: HHOpowerdiagram.jpg]

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-06-2008 08:29 AM