Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My HHO generator experience
mike Offline

RE: My HHO generator experience
Rags, the short answer is, it goes to the ON terminal.

You are going to put 12 volts to the relay's activating coil at terminal 86. When you put 12 volts here, the relay switches on and powers the generator. When you take the 12 volts away from terminal 86 the relay turns off and the generator gets no voltage. You are controlling a large amount of current that goes to the generator with a small amount of current needed to activate the coil.

You should have a source of switched voltage, which means that it is only on when the car's key switch is turned on. So the wire will only produce 12 volts when the key is turned on. Run that wire to your toggle switch, and the other side of your toggle switch goes to terminal 86. In this way, 2 conditions have to be true in order for your generator to receive power: The key must be turned on, and the switch must be turned on. If either of these is false, then terminal 86 doesn't get power, and the generator doesn't get power.

Savvy?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-06-2008 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

Mike,
I understand it now after I collared my son who works with AC a lot installing sound systems and that type of stuff. He came over and between the two of us got it wired up and working. Rather than a 30 amp fuse, for now I put a 15 amp to see if I will draw that much or more, and a 5 amp in the power to the switch.

Now that I have that working, it created another problem for me. I have my amp gauge in the line that provides the power to the generator, but I am not getting any reading on the gauge. So I am trying to figure that out, if I can't I will ask for help.

I added red food coloring to the water, and it didn't seem to make any difference in the HHO production, but it sure is easier to see in the monitoring tube.

What do you feel is the best amperage to have the generator pulling?
04-06-2008 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

Hey,
Chalk one up for the senior citizen, I went out and studied the wiring setup, compaired it to the diagram, and decided that the amp gauge was hooked up to the wrong wire. Sooooo I relocated the wires from the amp gauge to where I thought they should be, and sure enough it worked, even though it was reading negative instead of positive. so I just reversed the wires on the back of the amp gauge.

I took it our for a drive, and the amps read dead between the 5 and 10 amp reading. I had driven 108 miles so thought I would gas up while I was out, and it took exactly 4.0 gallons. Which mean I got 27 mpg. I think the car is rated at 24 city and 32 highway, and with all of the messing around I had done trying to get things right, and having the 02 sensor disconnected I don't think that is to bad. Will be intersting to see how it changes now that it is all connected proper. The only thing I will tinker with now for a while is the mixture to regulate the amp usage.

You gentlemen don't know how much I appreciate all the patients and help you gave me. I hope I can do the same for someone else. I think the next project will be installing the EFIE. But that will have to wait until my wallet is a little fatter.
Rags
04-06-2008 02:05 PM
mike Offline

Ok, Rags. Good news.

As to how many amps is best, I can't tell you. But, you should try different amounts and see what kind of mileage you get with each. Keep a log of the information. You will then see which one works best.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-06-2008 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

Right that is my intent, but I have found that the higher the amps, the hotter the water gets and the faster it is lost. When I have anything substancial I will post it.

All the best.
Rags
04-06-2008 04:58 PM
deweydomer Offline

[A switched circuit, just means a circuit that turns on and off with your car key. However, the best set up is to find your oil pressure switch, and run a relay off of that to turn your HHO on and off. This is safest because the oil pressure switch is only activated when the engine is running and producing oil pressure. If you don't understand relays well, google it. There's some excellent articles on how they work. Spending some extra time to make sure that your HHO is safe is well worth it.

When the oil sending unit is showing pressure, the oil light is off, so does that not mean that there is no voltage coming from it, or do I not understand how it works? If that is correct, then how could the unit be run from that?

If one is finding an unused switched circuit, and also installing another switch in the line to have a "double safe", could you not install as that other switch some kind that has to be turned on everytime the key is turned to the on position? If the ignition would be turned off, and then back on again, the other switch would automatically shut off, and would have to be turned back on as well. I have something like that as a switch on the cruise control on my garden tractor. It is a 3 position rocker switch, and when you step on the brake, it disengages the cruise, and you have to reset it again if you want to use it. Not sure if that is the same thing as what you would need here, but similar anyway. I guess what I am thinking of is some kind of holding relay, that would be like the switch on many larger shop tools, where if the power cuts out while it is on, the switch has to be turned on again for the machine to restart.
Hope I've made this clear enough.[/color]
04-07-2008 05:38 PM
Rags Offline

I don't really know to which circuit I connected to, but I found a line that is only activated when the ignition in turned on. I am using that line to activate the relay switch which has the 5 amp fuse. I also have the toggle switch inside the car that will turn the system off when the car is running if I so desire. So all total I have the relay switch, a toggle switch, a check valve, a Flash Killer, and a bubbler. I don't know if anything esle I could add to the system to make it any safer. I think it is time to start testing to see if I am going to get any better mpg. I probably will install the EFIE sometime in the future, if I show any progress at all. Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I will check my electrical diagrams and see if I can find the oil pressure line, if I can, and I can find it under the hood I will transfer to that circuit instead of the one I am on. If anyone can give me a clue where the oil pressure line is on a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire the would be nice.
Rags
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2008 04:52 AM by Rags.)
04-08-2008 04:49 AM
mike Offline

You need your wiring diagrams. That will make life easier for all of the things you need to do. Check this post. You may be able to get yours for free.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-08-2008 09:35 AM
Rags Offline

Mike
I bought the wiring diagram from the place you suggested. $11.99, printed it out and have it in a binder. I checked at Auto Zone anyway but they don't have it for my car. I found something called oil pressure sensor. Says it is center rear of engine, and the wire is Tan/Black. I will have to look and see if I can find it. It is probably inside one of the black ribbed things that hold a bunch of wires. Now this may sound dumb, but the engine sits sidways, and what normally would be the back of an engine is a side. So is the back still considered by the firewall? Oh well something else to waste away the hours, till I can play golf.
Rags
04-08-2008 11:57 AM
colchiro Offline

Rags Wrote:I checked at Auto Zone anyway but they don't have it for my car.

Sounds familiar.Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-08-2008 12:04 PM