Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
My New EFIE is not working with my 02 sensor
Gary Larson Offline

My New EFIE is not working with my 02 sensor
I have waited 2 months for my EFIE during which time I have been actively promoting and building my own dual cells for my 1995 Suzuki Sidekick all the time anxiously waiting for the EFIE to arrive. It finally came I have been sorely disappointed in its performance. Here is the scenerio.
First I located my signal wire from my single 02 sensor and it had the swinging voltage in the millivolts. Then I followed the instructions EXACTLY SOLDERING THE RED WIRE TO THE 12 VOLT SUPPLY VOLTAGE AND THE BLACK WIRE TO GROUND. NEXT I CUT THIS SIGNAL WIRE AND SOLDERED THE 02 SIDE OF THE CUT TO THE EFIE'S GREEN WIRE AND FINALLY THE COMPUTERS SIDE OF THE SIGNAL WIRE TO THE EFIE'S WHITE WIRE. Simple enough I then turned on the engine and noticed that it sounded exactly as it had before. This was good HOWEVER MY "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT WAS ON AND THERE WAS NOT ANY VOLTAGE AT ALL BETWEEN THE EFIE'S WHITE AND GREEN WIRE. This was supposed to be $350 mv or there abouts. This then became the beginning of a long drawn out process with several other symptoms that caused me to take the car to the Suzuki Dealer who had been following me on what I was doing. First I had noticed that I no longer had the swinging voltage coming from the 02 sensor. He had me reset the computer by disconnecting and then reconnecting the neg bat term after a 30 sec wait. This did reset the "check engine" light but still no swinging voltage on the signal line. We checked the computer diagnostic codes and the only one that showed concern was #52 having to do with the fuel system which we already knew would show something with KOH mixed in with it. The 02 sensor did not show bad and yet to this point in time I can not get the voltage swing back that I am supposed to have on the signal line. ALL IT READS IS ZERO. The car runs good but I can not tell if I am running more rich or lean as I turn the little screw. In other words I do not think the EFIE is working as it is supposed to or there is still something that I am not aware of that needs to be done. I have never measured any voltage at all between the white and green wires and this makes me think I have a bad EFIE but the confusing factor is the loss of the swinging voltage which remains lost even when I disconnect the EFIE now. And yet the dealers test equipment did not show there to be anything wrong with my 02 sensor. Any ideas or help will be very much appreciated.
THANK YOU.
GARY LARSON
435 755-7622
08-28-2008 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: My New EFIE is not working with my 02 sensor
Hi Gary, I'm sorry this hasn't been a good install for you.

Sounds like you have the basic efie. The deluxe has a switch and jacks on the front, making it easier to test.

First thing to do is probably test your efie. If you disconnect the green and white wires and turn on your efie, you should be able to see the offset voltage at the green and white wires, if your efie still works.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-28-2008 03:16 PM
mike Offline

Gary,

Don't worry. No matter what's going on, we'll take care of you. The EFIE was good when it left here. There's only one way it can be miswired so it will be damaged and then fail to work. Even if that happened, we would fix or replace it for you. Don't worry about that.

As to your sensor, the sensor is not damaged. You either mis-identified the wire in the first place, or you have a bad connection to your test equipment. You really can't "fry" an oxygen sensor, nor the ECU port that it connects to. I don't car if you shorted 12 volts onto those wires. They are both too robust for that.

Probably you have a connection problem connecting the meter to the signal wire and/or to ground. Check your meter leads. Make sure the meter works. Make sure it's set to measure volts and that the range is suitable for less than 1 volt. It's going to be something like that.

Anyway, whatever it is, we'll help you with it.

Please note, you can also write directly to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com. This can often be a quicker line.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 04:34 PM by colchiro.)
08-28-2008 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Larson Offline

Mike
I appreciate your help. I am 68 yrs old and scheduled to go into the VA hospital for a shoulder replacement and I am trying to get this car problem solved so that I can focus on my hospital stay. I should let you know that I have many years in Electronic Engineering so I am not the new kid on the block although I have been away from it for several years. I have done every possible check I can do with the EFIE, which is small and completely enclosed in the black covering) so I guess I have the older model. The only thing I have not done was to measure the output with it not hooked up to the 02 sensor. I am at the VA hospital tomorrow morning so I will check it out over the weekend and get back with you Monday.
I really need your help because I feel as though both the 02 sensor and the EFIE are bad but the tech at the dealer when he checked the codes said my 02 sensor was OK. Why then would I not have the swing voltage?

Mike Wrote:Gary,

Don't worry. No matter what's going on, we'll take care of you. The EFIE was good when it left here. There's only one way it can be miswired so it will be damaged and then fail to work. Even if that happened, we would fix or replace it for you. Don't worry about that.

As to your sensor, the sensor is not damaged. You either mis-identified the wire in the first place, or you have a bad connection to your test equipment. You really can't "fry" an oxygen sensor, nor the ECU port that it connects to. I don't car if you shorted 12 volts onto those wires. They are both too robust for that.

Probably you have a connection problem connecting the meter to the signal wire and/or to ground. Check your meter leads. Make sure the meter works. Make sure it's set to measure volts and that the range is suitable for less than 1 volt. It's going to be something like that.

Anyway, whatever it is, we'll help you with it.

Please note, you can also write directly to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com. This can often be a quicker line.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2008 03:29 PM by colchiro.)
08-28-2008 11:27 PM
colchiro Offline

Gary, this is how to test your efie:

mike Wrote:You can do a basic test of the unit as follows:

Please disconnect the white/green wires and leave just the power and ground connections on the EFIE. Then do the voltage test again. You should be able to adjust the voltage on the EFIE through the full range of about .030 volts up to, and above, .450 volts. This is measured at the red and black test ports of the Deluxe (or the white and green wires for a Basic or circuit board model). If you don't see these voltages, then the EFIE is at fault.

However, if you do see these voltages, we'll need to look into the circuit it's hooked up to. There will be a problem there, and it will be something like: 1) faulty oxygen sensor, over 100K and not giving voltages in spec anymore, 2) An AFR sensor (air fuel ratio sensor), not an oxygen sensor, 3) a wrong wire, not the signal wire. There will be some bug like this we'll have to find.

If you would like to send it in and have us look at it, please contact me at efie_support@fuelsaver-mpg.com, and we'll get it arranged.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-29-2008 03:35 PM
Gary Larson Offline

Mike
All of the tests I had made was with the white and green wires hooked up in the signal wire. After I got back from the VA hospital I disconnected those wires as you directed me to and there was no voltage there when there was voltage 12 vdc to the red, and black to ground. I guess this pretty much identifies this as a bad EFIE. I have sent the same email into Eagle Research several times as the one I sent you. That is who I bought it from. I waited two months for it to get here and now I still do not have the benefit of its use. Please advise me of the correct way to return this defective unit and get another in its place ASAP. I really appreciated your directions which solved the problem of the circle I was going in.
Thanks,
Gary Larson
PS I am on a 2 month waiting list for a shoulder replacement and would sure like to get this installed and working before I have to go through that.

this is how to test your efie:

mike Wrote:You can do a basic test of the unit as follows:

Please disconnect the white/green wires and leave just the power and ground connections on the EFIE. Then do the voltage test again. You should be able to adjust the voltage on the EFIE through the full range of about .030 volts up to, and above, .450 volts. This is measured at the red and black test ports of the Deluxe (or the white and green wires for a Basic or circuit board model). If you don't see these voltages, then the EFIE is at fault.

However, if you do see these voltages, we'll need to look into the circuit it's hooked up to. There will be a problem there, and it will be something like: 1) faulty oxygen sensor, over 100K and not giving voltages in spec anymore, 2) An AFR sensor (air fuel ratio sensor), not an oxygen sensor, 3) a wrong wire, not the signal wire. There will be some bug like this we'll have to find.

If you would like to send it in and have us look at it, please contact me at efie_support@fuelsaver-mpg.com, and we'll get it arranged.
[/quote]
09-03-2008 10:53 AM
mike Offline

Hi Gary,

I answered an email from you about this issue too. But I recommend you write to sales@eagle-research.com. They may also have a tech support address, but I would go ahead and write to sales. They will take care of you.

Visit Our Documents Page
09-03-2008 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wkahnrad Offline

[quote=wkahnrad]

Gary, I have a 2005 Hyundai with a 5 wire 02 sensor I could not read or adjust my EFIE until I didconnected the 02 from the circuit then I could adjust my EFIE. I had previously installed a EFIE and replaced it thinking it was bad.

I now disconnect the front 5 wire sensor and adjust the EFIE. When I plug in the sensor after the adjustment I get a signal voltage the varies and I can't tell what has happed with my adjustment. I am seeing increases in mileage.

Try disconnecting 02 sensor and then adjusting EFIE as per instructions.

It is all trail and error fro me.

I have found this site the most helpful.

I am going to put an scope and try to adjust by the signal sign wave.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2008 01:35 AM by wkahnrad.)
09-05-2008 01:34 AM
mike Offline

You shouldn't get a sign wave on a wide band. The reason the 5 wire works is that it's got a voltage reference of the air/fuel ratio on that 5th wire. But instead of jumping up and down from full rich to full lean (like narrow band sensors), the wideband gives a representation of the exact AFR at any given point in time. As such it actually moves up and down quite slowly, except when you jump on the gas for instance, which will cause an acute rich condition. But you won't find a sin wave to analyze on this circuit.

Actually the narrow band won't operate like a sin wave either. It's not regular enough for that. But at least with an o-scope you can see the highs and lows as it jumps around.

But regarding needing to disconnect the sensor to make adjustments: I'm worried about this and it makes me thing you're on the current pump circuitry, and not the signal wire. The signal wire should show about 2.5 volts at idle and shouldn't move around much, whereas the current pump wires will settle down to about 2.7 or 3.3 volts. Please check that you have the correct wire.

Visit Our Documents Page
09-07-2008 02:42 PM
wkahnrad Offline

Shy RE: My New EFIE is not working with my 02 sensor
mike Wrote:You shouldn't get a sign wave on a wide band. The reason the 5 wire works is that it's got a voltage reference of the air/fuel ratio on that 5th wire. But instead of jumping up and down from full rich to full lean (like narrow band sensors), the wideband gives a representation of the exact AFR at any given point in time. As such it actually moves up and down quite slowly, except when you jump on the gas for instance, which will cause an acute rich condition. But you won't find a sin wave to analyze on this circuit.

Actually the narrow band won't operate like a sin wave either. It's not regular enough for that. But at least with an o-scope you can see the highs and lows as it jumps around.

But regarding needing to disconnect the sensor to make adjustments: I'm worried about this and it makes me thing you're on the current pump circuitry, and not the signal wire. The signal wire should show about 2.5 volts at idle and shouldn't move around much, whereas the current pump wires will settle down to about 2.7 or 3.3 volts. Please check that you have the correct wire.

I have checked the Voltage to ground With the Following results.
White wire to heater #5 13voilts
Green wire #3 to PCM 2.33 volts Labeled IP
White wire #1 2.33volts Labeled VS
Yellow/Orange wire # 6 is other leg of heater
Brown wire #4 4.13 Volts to wheel speed
Pink wire #2 10.73 mtvs Goes to PMC Linear LAMBDA RC
Looks like my only other choice is #1 it has a coil in the circuit.

What do you think?
09-08-2008 06:21 AM