Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My first test.
cyborgmexican Offline

My first test.
So, yesterday I did my first test. Originally I was planning to build something similar to the smack booster. Although the plates are electrical covers there is almost no other feature that is similar. After quite a bit of useless drilling, cutting, and hammering I got my cell together. It has 5 plates (-+-+-) that are pretty far apart and unevenly spaced due to the fact that they are bent to hell.

So after putting the cell together I dropped the dell in a Coolwhip container with some distilled water and a teaspoon of NaOH. I hooked up a 2/6 amp battery charger and immediately got a ton of bubbles. YAY!

After the initial test I decided to hook it up in my locking Tupperware container. I got everything together with my ¼” tube leading into a cup of water. Immediately upon plugging in the battery charger I got some bubbles through the tube. At this point I had noticed that the amp meter was spiked the whole time. (It only goes up to 8) I threw out half of the water and refilled it with more distilled water. The meter spiked again and fewer bubbles were forming, the wires on the gator clips were also getting hot. Then I decided to see how explosive the gas was. I lit a splint and put it by the bubbles coming out of the tube and got some puffs. I had a feeling that there was still some air mixing and it was diluting the explosiveness. After letting the wires cool down again I did a volume test with a half liter bottle, filled it with water and dumped it in the cup and ran the tube up through. I fired up the battery charger and the bottle started to fill with gas. After one minute the bottle was half full and the wires on the charger were about cooked. So I’m getting .25 liters of gas with a truly awful cell. After this I dumped out the rest of the water and filled the cell with just plain water, hooked up the charger and got very few bubbles and drew 3 amps.

Overall I’m happy with my results and learned quite a bit for when I build another cell for my truck. I’m going need to get a better charger that goes up to 30 amps and has a larger gauge. I’ll have some pics up later if you wanna see the setup.
06-16-2008 03:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cyborgmexican Offline

RE: My first test.
here is the setup with no electrolyte in it. Ill post pics of making gas next time i fire it up.
[Image: DSCF0004.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0005-1.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0006.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0007-1.jpg]
Here is the NaOH, get it @ Lowes.
[Image: DSCF0008-1.jpg]
06-16-2008 01:02 PM
cyborgmexican Offline

Planning is already in the works for my next cell that will hopefully actually go in the truck (4.3L S10 Blazer). I'm looking for a nice clear water filter that doesn't cost a ton of money. As far as plates im going to go with either a 6"x30" or an 8"x34" SS kick plate, the first is $13 @ home depot and will give me 8 3 inch wide plates, and the other is $17 will yield 10 4 inch wide plates. The size I get will depend on how big of a water filter I get.
06-16-2008 01:08 PM
Dino Offline

I like the design but I think any kind of Tupperware would most likely not stand the head. I also want to make the clear water filter canister so if you find it anywhere cheap let me know.
06-16-2008 04:24 PM