Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My fuel economy went down after installing EFIE and booster !!
nelson4u Offline

My fuel economy went down after installing EFIE and booster !!
I posted this over in the "results" forum also, but hope I may get some good advice posting here also.

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 3.0 liter engine with 150000 miles. I
built the Smacks hydroxy unit exactly as he instructed and it is putting out about 1 LPM at 15 amps. I have no leaks in the system and I have the output hose plumbed into the plenum just before the butterfly valve.

I have 2 oxygen sensors one on each exhaust manifold so I installed
a dual EFIE device purchased from here at fuelsaver-mpg.com and wired it up exactly as instructed.

I set the EFIE to .200 volts and then disconnected battery for an
hour to clear ECM memory. I then drove the car for a full tank and
was very disappointed when I filled up and my gas milage actually
went down from 23 MPG to 20 MPG !!

I have since tried setting the EFIE up to .300 and also down to .100
volts with no increase at all in fuel milage.

I can see the votage fluctuate on the meter from about .1 to .7 when
the engine is running and I probe the EFIE, so it seems like it is
getting the proper signal.

I read here in a post that you should be able to increase the EFIE
voltage and begin to hear the engine start to run rough and lose
power, but on mine I can adjust all the way up to like .450 and
there is no difference in the engine running at all. The EFIE
voltage tops out at right around .450 and further turning of the
adjustment does nothing. It's as if the changes with the EFIE do
absolutely nothing to the computer. I can see the changes on the
volt meter, but it is like something else is overriding any changes
I make with the EFIE.

I have run out of options and don't know where to go next to see an
improvement.

Can anyone see something I may be missing ? It is really frustrating
that the milage actually got worse and I am using an EFIE.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MIke
11-13-2008 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: My fuel economy went down after installing EFIE and booster !!
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry this post got missed earlier.

My first burning question: Have you replaced your oxygen sensors? They are supposed to be replaced each 40,000 miles. My guess is that yours are old and are not functioning properly.

As to EFIEs making the engine run rough: Most of the time they will not do that. If they are adjusted too high, though, the computer will recognize that as being faulty sensors and will stop using them as input data. It will then guess on the air/fuel ratio, and it always guesses rich. Your mileage will be crappy.

As your mileage is starting out low (for a 93 Camry), my guess is that your sensors are shot. Replace the sensors, and then your HHO plus EFIE should get better mileage.

If you still have difficulty after that, please write to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com for more detailed help.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-20-2008 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nelson4u Offline

Hello Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have not replaced the o2 sensors, however when i put my multimeter on them, I see the voltage fluctuating between 0 and 1 volts once they are warmed up. Also I have never got a check engine light either.

Do you still think they are bad and causing the HHO and EFIE not to work out ? I don't want to spend the money on new sensors if they are not going to help. (not sure how expensive they are yet)

Thanks again, Mike
11-20-2008 12:40 PM
mike Offline

Yes, absolutely. The sensors look the same even if they're old when reading their voltage. But they just don't work as well. The get sluggish and won't change as fast as new ones. After a while they change so slowly that the ecu starts ignoring them. Many cars don't throw a cel when the sensors get to this state. Also, they don't work as well with an efie when they're old.

I've seen completely failed projects completely turn around just by replacing the sensors. Based on the fact that your vehicle is a '93, I have to think you have over 100,000 on those sensors. That's way too much to expect from these devices.

I can't say for sure this will cure your problem because I can't see all aspects of your install. You may have some things backward that will cause your system not to work. But for sure, if your sensors are shot, you won't get the expected results. So lets get that cleared up and see where we are after that.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-20-2008 01:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Mike, Bruce and I both were helping him on the identical post here: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2413

Strange, we mentioned replacing the sensors too.

Found some good info on o2's here: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...3#pid23553

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-20-2008 03:35 PM
nelson4u Offline

Rick,

Thank you for the link on info for o2 sensors. I know you mentioned it before in the other post. I assumed my o2 sensors were still fine as I could see the voltage output fluctuating. Now I see tat I should replace them as I have 150000 miles on these sensors. I just hope after investing more money in o2 sensors, that I will get positive results with the EFIE and Smacks booster I have.

Mike
11-20-2008 05:37 PM
colchiro Offline

Bear in mind that a lot of the late model Toyotas (maybe the ones with the VVT-i engines?) don't like hho. My theory is that possibly the variable valve timing counteracts the changes we make.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-20-2008 07:13 PM