Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My gas milage is worse after installing hydroxy booster and dual EFIE !!
nelson4u Offline

My gas milage is worse after installing hydroxy booster and dual EFIE !!
I have a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 3.0 liter engine with 150000 miles. I
built the Smacks hydroxy unit exactly as he instructed and it is putting out about 1 LPM at 15 amps. I have no leaks in the system and I have the output hose plumbed into the plenum just before the butterfly valve.

I have 2 oxygen sensors one on each exhaust manifold so I installed
a dual EFIE device purchased from here at fuelsaver-mpg.com and wired it up exactly as instructed.

I set the EFIE to .200 volts and then disconnected battery for an
hour to clear ECM memory. I then drove the car for a full tank and
was very disappointed when I filled up and my gas milage actually
went down from 23 MPG to 20 MPG !!

I have since tried setting the EFIE up to .300 and also down to .100
volts with no increase at all in fuel milage.

I can see the votage fluctuate on the meter from about .1 to .7 when
the engine is running and I probe the EFIE, so it seems like it is
getting the proper signal.

I read here in a post that you should be able to increase the EFIE
voltage and begin to hear the engine start to run rough and lose
power, but on mine I can adjust all the way up to like .450 and
there is no difference in the engine running at all. The EFIE
voltage tops out at right around .450 and further turning of the
adjustment does nothing. It's as if the changes with the EFIE do
absolutely nothing to the computer. I can see the changes on the
volt meter, but it is like something else is overriding any changes
I make with the EFIE.

I have run out of options and don't know where to go next to see an
improvement.

Can anyone see something I may be missing ? It is really frustrating
that the milage actually got worse and I am using an EFIE.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MIke
11-12-2008 12:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Sargent Offline

RE: My gas milage is worse after installing hydroxy booster and dual EFIE !!
Hi Mike,
I have two newer Hondas and it seems the Japanese vehicles sensors are quite sensitive. A mechanic friend recommended that I check in with http://www.splitsec.com , as they make sensor modifiers that may be able to help. Try emailing them with your message below and see what they say. John

nelson4u Wrote:I have a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 3.0 liter engine with 150000 miles. I
built the Smacks hydroxy unit exactly as he instructed and it is putting out about 1 LPM at 15 amps. I have no leaks in the system and I have the output hose plumbed into the plenum just before the butterfly valve.

a dual EFIE device purchased from here at fuelsaver-mpg.com and wired it up exactly as instructed.

I make with the EFIE.

improvement.

MIke
11-12-2008 04:18 AM
Delray Dude Offline

nelson4u Wrote:I have run out of options and don't know where to go next to see an
improvement.

MIke

A few suggestions.

If your voltage max on the o2 sensor is maxing out at .7 - then the max EFIE setting should be .3 Any voltage over 1 volt will throw the computer in open loop - it'll see an error and think the sensors are bad. I'd set the EFIE to just under .3, like .290.

Also - other things to try: 3 ounces of acetone and 3 ounces of Xlol per 10 gallons of fuel. This will help in the high milage engine for sure.

You might be loosing your gains of HHO because of the current draw load on the alternator. If you have an older one and are using alot of electricity (like this unit and a high power stereo) the drag load on the engine might exceed the gains normally found especially if the alt is a low output one. My 93 Mustang came with a stock 75 amp output which wasn't enough to handle everything, I upgraded to an 130 amp alt to handle the duties. You could scale back your cold draw amps to 7 and see what happens.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
11-12-2008 04:55 AM
realtyroy Offline

nelson4u Wrote:I have a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 3.0 liter engine with 150000 miles. I

I make with the EFIE.

improvement.

MIke

Here is a thought, I have worked on a lot of these vintage Camry's and have actually owned a couple of them myself. With the mileage you have on that car one thing you might check out is the spray pattern on the injectors. If the injectors are not giving a nice misty cone shaped spray than no matter what you do you are going to use more fuel than you should.
Do you have emissions testing where you live and if you do did it pass without any problems?
I've seen these 3 liters blow real high Hydrocarbons and CO's when as little as 1 injector was dribbling instead of spraying the way it should.
Mileage was down around 15 or so in town.
If all else fails this might be something to think about. Maybe run some injector cleaner through the system if you think injectors might be a problem.

Good Luck!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-12-2008 10:30 AM
saltmine Offline

Before everybody panics....

Nelson, you need to go back to basics. First, what condition is the car in? Has the engine been tuned lately? New plugs and wires? Fuel filter? Is the transmission working properly? What about the tires?

I'm not being snide...Some of us forget that there are other things that affect gas mileage....

An extreme example I had recently was a guy complaining that he'd paid me to fix an oil leak in his engine, and now it was leaking even worse than it was before.....I took a look, and DUH!!! he had one of his connecting rods hanging out the side of his engine block....
11-12-2008 11:45 AM
nelson4u Offline

saltmine Wrote:Before everybody panics....

Nelson, you need to go back to basics. First, what condition is the car in? Has the engine been tuned lately? New plugs and wires? Fuel filter? Is the transmission working properly? What about the tires?

I'm not being snide...Some of us forget that there are other things that affect gas mileage....

An extreme example I had recently was a guy complaining that he'd paid me to fix an oil leak in his engine, and now it was leaking even worse than it was before.....I took a look, and DUH!!! he had one of his connecting rods hanging out the side of his engine block....

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Saltmine,

I understand what you are saying about having the car in good mechanical condition before trying to get better MPG.

What has me puzzled is that I was getting 23 MPG before installing the Smacks booster and EFIE and now I am lucky to get only 20 MPG and I have tried with my EFIE set at various adjustments such as .100, .200 and .300 with no help with either setting. I am now wondering if I need a MAF/MAP enhancer to help out, because it seems anything I do with the EFIE gets over ridden by some other sensor in the system and I am wondering if it could be the MAF sensor ? It really has me frustrated as no matter what I do I can not get the computer to lean out the mixture.

Like I stated in my original post, no matter where I set the EFIE offset to, it makes no change in the way the engine runs. I have started with the offset at .050 and slowly adjusted all the way up to .450 where the EFIE maxed out and it did absolutely nothing to the way the engine performed. It seems as if something else in the computer is compensating for any adjustments I make, that is why I am wondering if a MAF/MAP enhancer may be needed along with the EFIE.

I have really run out of ideas. I have now shut off the Smacks unit and the EFIE and am going to drive it a while to see if I can get back up to my original 23 MPG I had before I started with this.

Any other help and ideas is greatly appreciated. I keep reading about others that are getting great results, so I do believe this will work. I just need to figure out how to make this computer lean out the mixture.
11-12-2008 02:57 PM
colchiro Offline

Nelson, one thing to think about when you clear the ecu. It can take days to a week for the ecu to adjust after you reset it so don't do that unless you truly need to.

You can't count on every vehicle (esp. older ones) to run rough when the efie is cranked. Some will just go into open loop.

Also, most vehicles need their o2's replaced by 100k miles and you have more than that. Obviously that's not why you suddenly lost mileage, but something to think about.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-12-2008 03:10 PM
mattsauto Offline

I make with the EFIE.

improvement.

MIke

0.1 - 0.7 is NO GOOD -> you NEED 0.2 - .9 or 0.2 - 0.92 to see some
results...
11-12-2008 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ptours99 Offline

nelson4u Wrote:

Saltmine,

I understand what you are saying about having the car in good mechanical condition before trying to get better MPG.

What has me puzzled is that I was getting 23 MPG before installing the Smacks booster and EFIE and now I am lucky to get only 20 MPG and I have tried with my EFIE set at various adjustments such as .100, .200 and .300 with no help with either setting. I am now wondering if I need a MAF/MAP enhancer to help out, because it seems anything I do with the EFIE gets over ridden by some other sensor in the system and I am wondering if it could be the MAF sensor ? It really has me frustrated as no matter what I do I can not get the computer to lean out the mixture.

Like I stated in my original post, no matter where I set the EFIE offset to, it makes no change in the way the engine runs. I have started with the offset at .050 and slowly adjusted all the way up to .450 where the EFIE maxed out and it did absolutely nothing to the way the engine performed. It seems as if something else in the computer is compensating for any adjustments I make, that is why I am wondering if a MAF/MAP enhancer may be needed along with the EFIE.

I have really run out of ideas. I have now shut off the Smacks unit and the EFIE and am going to drive it a while to see if I can get back up to my original 23 MPG I had before I started with this.

Any other help and ideas is greatly appreciated. I keep reading about others that are getting great results, so I do believe this will work. I just need to figure out how to make this computer lean out the mixture.

nelson,what part of the country do you live in.the midwest and north have changed the gas to winter blend.this results in a 10-15% loss of mpg.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
11-12-2008 08:00 PM
nelson4u Offline

ptours99 Wrote:
nelson4u Wrote:

Saltmine,

nelson,what part of the country do you live in.the midwest and north have changed the gas to winter blend.this results in a 10-15% loss of mpg.

I live in Phoenix
11-13-2008 12:36 AM