Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My generator has a smoking problem...
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

My generator has a smoking problem...
Hey all, 've never had to deal with this before. All my friends don't do it, none of my family does it, but all the sudden my generator picked it up! It's smoking when I turn it on and I don't know exactly what is wrong? I think it might just be heat shrink tubing that's burning/melting, but no matter how many nicotine strips I attach to the shell, it won't stop Tongue ! Any ideas? Here's a video that was supposed to be to show off my new design, but instead it started the smoking thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI98kMIhrrg

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
07-23-2008 03:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: My generator has a smoking problem...
I think you're running too much urine concentration for the wire size you have at the top where it got hot.

Got that ammeter yet? Didn't think so.Big Grin

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-23-2008 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

Hahaha!! Well someone suggested the urine, so I figured "Why not?" Just kidding.

Yeah, so does the hooking directly up to the battery and not through fuses or any amperage limitation have anything to do with this result? I'm giving up on nifty wrapping ideas and going to try double-layered door screen even though it will be limiting. Some test is better than none! I'm going to the Lowes method if this doesn't work, it's sad to see a waste of stainless. Anyways, he goes nothing! And how can I make that initial connection any better?

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-23-2008 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoozadoctor Offline

Attempting to quit smoking?
You are not alone in your efforts if you're trying to stop smoking for good. Did you know that 4 out of 5 generators have attempted to give up? Don’t be disheartened if you have tried quitting smoking before, because it can take a few attempts to quit. Keep trying! When you succeed the rewards - in terms of health, wellbeing, self-esteem and money savings - are worth the effort.

Methods to help you give up
Whilst Cold Turkey is the most popular method to quit smoking, only 3% of generators succeed using this method. Other treatment options to stop smoking are available and you can find information about these methods on this site. Remember, for the best advice on how to stop smoking, there's few substitutes as good as seeing your doctor to discuss the full range of options available to you. If you're stuck about what to say, try our conversation starter.

What smoking really costs you?

The costs of smoking are high and adversely impact many areas of your wellbeing. Did you know that smokers are 10 times more likely to die from lung cancer than non-smokers? If you need more reasons to stop smoking, take a look at the hard facts. In fact, there are so many benefits of quitting smoking that it's well worth quitting..

Instead of using nicotine patches you really need to take your Generator to a Doctor.

Doc

btw. Please don't hessitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
07-23-2008 04:03 PM
colchiro Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:Yeah, so does the hooking directly up to the battery and not through fuses or any amperage limitation have anything to do with this result?

It's very possible if you had a fuse/breaker with a rating to match your wire size on the inside of your cell, you might have blown it.

I think the wire from the cell bolts to your coil is too small.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-23-2008 04:18 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Just tested my final attempted design and I gotta say, it went pretty well compared to my old tests! I had very little HHO production, but nothing went wrong! It's an improvement. So what can I do? I need a way to be able to get the water to breathe, but nothing is working!

I just got a new idea. I'm going to have to cut the sheets in certain spaces for this to work, but I hope it works!! I'm going to create a joe cell out of all the sheet I have, making it cylinder and a smaller cylinder inside of it, etc. Wish me luck! Good thing I have plenty of zip ties Tongue .

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-23-2008 06:18 PM
baracuda Offline

Think about it.........If you quit smoking You could use the money you save from not buying cigarettes to engineer and build one bad a$$ generator !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your new design

You can't skin a fish before you catch it !
07-23-2008 06:45 PM
stevekos7 Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:Just tested my final attempted design and I gotta say, it went pretty well compared to my old tests! I had very little HHO production, but nothing went wrong! It's an improvement. So what can I do? I need a way to be able to get the water to breathe, but nothing is working!

I just got a new idea. I'm going to have to cut the sheets in certain spaces for this to work, but I hope it works!! I'm going to create a joe cell out of all the sheet I have, making it cylinder and a smaller cylinder inside of it, etc. Wish me luck! Good thing I have plenty of zip ties Tongue .

Don't smother the surface area too much with your spacing material. The more insulation on the surfaces of the sheets, the smaller the overall surface area available to produce gas. Also, if your spacing material isn't open to the flow of gas you will just trap the gas in the little spaces and it won't go anywhere. This means that the area the plates can actually produce gas is very small. Then amperage can be easily too high for the effective surface area and cause overheating. Bigger plate area = less resistance = cooler operation. But too big = lower amps per sq. in. so can reduce production. I don't think you will have a problem with too big an area with your cell.

Was this your first test? You should always do a test with a multimeter to check for shorts etc before running it (at least on youtube). If you can show people what the problem was on youtube it's better than just showing a failure. But I will give you points for total honesty.
07-23-2008 06:48 PM
cheapfuel Offline

With your power off check for continuity between the anode and cathode. You should have none. Put an ammeter is series with your power source and generators. You should not be drawing more than 20 amps...less than 15 amps should not cause smoking.
07-23-2008 06:59 PM
Nitebot Offline

Built my cell , redid it a total of 8 times thus far( i feel your pain )..I used this Gutter screen stuff, 3 layers on each side of the cathode(like thick window screen stuff ).I sanded both plates btw that helped alot..I also used pvc to help me roll it Nice and tight. I found if its tight you get better overall gas production.

the design at least for me draws alot of amps, 20 to 18 in tap water. but my tap water is pretty bad here..the cell gets hot on the connection leads.This weekend i am doing the soda goodness and distilled water..I let you know how that goes.

hmm what else mine is half as tall as yours(3" by 50" )..I get about 3/4 lpm or so unconditioned. Spacing about a 1/4 or so. Still need to build my generator.

Oh make sure your connection is tight too as it seems to get hot if its not very tight.
Hope some of this helps.
07-23-2008 07:41 PM