Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My new MAF and IAT Multi-adjuster, what do you think?
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

My new MAF and IAT Multi-adjuster, what do you think?
Howdy! It's been a while since I've really been dedicated to the forum, so I thought I would come back again today with my new MAF and IAT (intake air temp.) multi-adjuster! The DPDT switch controls if they are BOTH off (normal readings) or both on (modified readings). The left 50k pot adjusts the MAF reading, causing a variable reading of resistance, acting like an EFIE except for in reverse (Toyota is less voltage = more air). The right 50k pot adjusts the IAT reading, acting like a reverse EFIE as well (Toyota is less voltage = warmer air). I can't wait to throw it on my car and play with the adjustment settings and see how this works (NOT using o2 extender first)!!

Here are pictures!
[Image: P1000050.jpg]
[Image: P1000046.jpg]

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2008 06:23 PM by RDKamikaze.)
11-24-2008 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

RE: My new MAF and IAT Multi-adjuster, what do you think?
Oki, so I hooked it up and almost all was well. First of all, I mixed up the IAT and the MAF lines, so now the knobs are switched. No problem, easy get around.

Here's my problem. I'm adjusting with my OBD2 scanner and my multimeter (set to 20V for this setup) so I can tune accordingly. The MAF tunes fine (voltage goes down when turning knob to left), but the IAT will only go UP in voltage. Why won't it go DOWN??? With going up in voltage, the temperature reads lower and thus cancels the less gas ratio from the MAF. I have the knob all the way to the right which should be the normal level, but when I turn any to the left it goes up in voltage. hat did I do wrong here? The wiring diagram is from colchrio's "Toyota Sensors" link, 3rd post down. I used the left diagram (there are two on there) and just set both pots to the DPDT switch instead of having two independent SPDT switches. Any help on this would be great, thanks!

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

11-24-2008 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Hi RDK.

What's the problem with the IAT?

Does the knob turn the wrong way?

... or is the voltage supposed to go down instead of up?

... or both?

BTW, raising the voltage should advance the timing.

... and you schpelled my name wrong.Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-24-2008 07:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

The IAT voltage is supposed to be going down (right normal, left 0V) instead of up. When the IAT voltage goes up, the temp. reading on the OBD2 scanner reads lower, which is what we don't want, correct? Warmer air means less fuel than cooler air, correct?

Raising voltage for what, the IAT or MAF should advance timing? And we're looking to retard timing, correct?

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

11-24-2008 07:35 PM
colchiro Offline

adding a resistor in parallel with the IAT or CTS sensors will do what you want. You must have installed it in series with the sensor?

Raising the IAT voltage (lower temp) should increase the timing, but should also make it richer. Check it on your SG.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2008 08:00 PM by colchiro.)
11-24-2008 07:59 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

I thought adding the pot and switch would lower the voltage like it does for the MAF. I'm not tring to raise the voltage in the first place lol!

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

11-24-2008 09:22 PM
colchiro Offline

I'd do this:

IAT sense wire ---- 3.3k 1/4 w resistor ---- left pot term center pot term ---- ground

If you have a 10k pot, that would get you 3 to 13k resistance. If you have a pot greater than 10k, it'd drop it out even more (less change) as you turn it up. I doubt you'd need to go lower than 3k.

Rick

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2008 06:04 PM by colchiro.)
11-25-2008 05:30 AM
victoreperez Offline

RDKamikaze
To add resistance, you add more in series ____www___www___

to reduce resistance you add more in parallel___wwww_____
\wwww/
Because electrons have two paths there is less resistance to that passing of them
I hope this helps
11-25-2008 08:44 AM
RDKamikaze Offline

Maybe I should draw up a schematic or take a picture of the wiring (kind of messy though) that I used for the setup. Maybe someone here could find a potential fault that I have, like maybe miswired something or rather??

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

11-25-2008 11:18 AM
RDKamikaze Offline

Here's a quickie draw-up of the wiring diagram. It's really messy, and not involving as many colors as I did (to avoid confusion which wire goes where), but it should be a pretty basic idea of what's going on.

I remember someone telling me I needed a 33k resistor on the ground lines, which I don't have at the moment. Could that be me full out problem, or is it not really adding to the dilemma of the IAT adjustments?

[Image: wiring.jpg]

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

11-25-2008 11:32 AM