Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My project. 1995 Dodge intrepid
Zeek Offline

My project. 1995 Dodge intrepid
I have installed one of Mikes Dual EFIE Deluxe units in my 1995 Dodge intrepid. I installed the unit in the cab of the car as I want to be able to monitor and adjust it without having to open the hood every time I need to make and adjustment. I had to extend the 5 foot wire pigtail that came installed on the unit in order to do so. I used CAT-5 computer cable as the extension because that is what I had available at the time. Just a thought Mike, with the 5 foot pigtail it would have been plenty long enough to install inside the engine compartment but giving people the option to purchase extra long pigtails, 10ft, 15ft. ect would be a nice option. (just a thought)

Vehicle has 221,000 miles on it. Right now I am getting 24 MPG. Weather is still fairly cold here in New England. In the summer the car averages 25MPG.

I am close to finishing the install of a Smack booster. For the past 3 days I have been running the EFIE at .140 by its self. Driving back and forth to work (20 miles one way) I have had no CEL come on as yet and all seems to be fine.

Once I get the booster complete and ready to put online, what would be a good setting to set the EFIE to? Any suggestions? Should I continue to crank it up until I do a CEL and then back it down?

As I proceed with this experiment, I will update this thread with my findings..

Regards
Zeek
04-02-2008 04:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: My project. 1995 Dodge intrepid
An extra long pig tail option is a good idea. I'm sorry you had splice on extra wire to do your project.

I think you have the right idea for setting your EFIE. You'll probably get the best mileage up towards the top end of what the ECU will allow. I wish I could just give you a number. But I think you have the right idea.

I'm interested in your results. Good luck.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-02-2008 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zeek Offline

Well so far so good. I have not lost any MPG anyway…. I have the booster up and running and have been increasing the voltage on the EFIE. I am up to .260 but no gains in MPH as yet. I just got back from a 60 mile drive and filled the car back up to check the MPG. 24.3 is what I came up with. I have been increasing the EFIE by .010 at a time and no noticeable difference at all in power or the way the car runs. So at this point I am going to start increasing the voltage at the EFIE by .100 at a time to see if I get to a point where I feel, or hear, or see a difference. So after filling up the car, I cranked the EFIE up to .270 and will continue to crank it up and hope for the best. We will see what happens and I will report back as to the results I achieve.

Regards
Zeek
04-06-2008 10:55 AM
colchiro Offline

What happens if you bump it up until you get a CEL (check engine light), then back it off .05v? Do you have a way to reset a CEL?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-06-2008 11:38 AM
Zeek Offline

colchiro Wrote:What happens if you bump it up until you get a CEL (check engine light), then back it off .05v? Do you have a way to reset a CEL?

Colchiro

My car is a 1995 therefore it is OBD1. I do not have a scan tool but it is my understanding that if I unhook the battery for 10 to 15 minutes it will clear the computer codes. (Can anyone confirm this?) Basically that was my intention, to keep turning up the EFIE till I get a CEL or until it stated running weird. I was going to turn it up in small increments but it will take forever to get there so I am going to start going up in larger increments.

Regards
Zeek
04-06-2008 01:45 PM
mike Offline

Yes, that will clear the codes. It also clears what the computer has "learned" about it's operating environment. It'll take a while before it runs exactly the same as before. But this can be done.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-06-2008 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zeek Offline

mike Wrote:Yes, that will clear the codes. It also clears what the computer has "learned" about it's operating environment. It'll take a while before it runs exactly the same as before. But this can be done.

Is there another way to clear the codes without a scan tool?
IF I get to the point where the CEL does come on and I turn the EFIE down will the light go out on its own? Believe it or not, I have never had a CEL come on in this car since I have owned it. It had 17,000 miles on it when we purchased it from the dealer.(has almost 222,000 miles on it now) It was a program car.

Regards
Zeek
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2008 05:36 PM by Zeek.)
04-06-2008 05:34 PM
mike Offline

It may or may not go out by itself. Some ECUs are designed to leave the light on until it can be checked and turned off by a mechanic. Some will go out on their own.

It's not anything to worry about. If it doesn't go out, go ahead and cut the power for a few minutes as you have mentioned. I only mention the other affects that it has, so that you don't do it all the time. The ECU will learn, and adjust to the sensor readings it gets. You lose that when you cut power. It's takes a while before everything settles in again, and during the interim you can't really judge the mileage you get until it's done.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-06-2008 08:26 PM
Zeek Offline

Well today I found the point of no return. I had the EFIE cranked up to .350 and that is when the old girl she started spittin and sputtering and pukking and gaggin. Going down the road it started hesitating and felt like it was missing and running rough. So I turned it down to .325 and it slowly smoothed out. When I go back home I checked the voltage from the sensor and it was steady, not bouncing around like it should be and low and behold I noticed the check engine light on. Shut the car off, waited a couple of minutes, started it back up and the check engine light was gone. Checked the O2 sensor voltage again and it was back to bouncing around.
Tonight on my way to work I will see if the light stays of and see how it runs. Will keep the EFIE at .325 for now and see what happens.

Regards
Zeek
04-09-2008 07:41 AM
mike Offline

Ok, Zeek. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-09-2008 08:34 AM